Why become a member? ×

Help with getting a gigable gitar amp

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice. My band-mate (rhythm guitarist and primary song-writer) is in need of a new guitar amp. He's currently rocking a Carlsbro Stingray from the 1970s and its on its last legs. He's about the lest tech savvy fellow I have ever met and knows nothing about amps or guitars aisde from how to play them. As such, he's asked me to help him out finding something suitable for band-practice and gigs. And I in turn and coming to you folks!

The band is pretty heavy music wise; I guess a mixture of Mastodon and Porcupine-Tree would be about as good a description as I could offer. With that in mind does anyone have a suggestion or even just some advice about where to start looking, what size amps to consider etc.

All the best

James

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1449617471' post='2925342']
Peavey 5150!

Any 2x12 cab!
[/quote]

Just had a search and cannot find anything on those - seems Peavy don't make them any more? They do the 6505 mini-head that looks interesting however. Has anyone tried one of these?

Hmmm, I suppose 5150 might be a bit to hard to come across but honestly, if you find one, you won't need another amp!

If your friend is happy with a combo, Laney VC-30's can push some serious noise with a great overdriven tone and the bonus is that they have killer clean tone too.

New, they're about £500-£550. Can pick up second hand models for around £250-300. Grab an extension cab and you'll be able to play anywhere! Mikael Akerfeldt uses VC-30's in the studio and he know his way around great tone.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1449618285' post='2925354']
Just had a search and cannot find anything on those - seems Peavy don't make them any more? They do the 6505 mini-head that looks interesting however. Has anyone tried one of these?
[/quote]

Van Halen holds the 5150 trademark and Peavey re-badged the amp as a 6505 when the licencing deal ended in the mid 2000s. The 6505 or 6505+ can easily be picked up for around £500 second hand. I think the 5150 badged Peavey amps hold a bit more value but are still fairly common. There's also a 6534+ (which I own and love) same amp but runs on EL34 tubes, not a common variant of the amp though. All will be solidly built and versatile enough to cover most playing styles including high gain metal.

I'd love to try the 6505 Mini Head but they don't seem too common in the UK, I'd also have reservations about how loud it can be played cleanly (20 watts distorted will still be ridiculously loud).

Blackstar would be the other recommendation, can easily be picked up S/H, plenty of good reviews. Definitely go with a 2x12 cab and not a 4x12.

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1449662016' post='2925650']
Van Halen holds the 5150 trademark and Peavey re-badged the amp as a 6505 when the licencing deal ended in the mid 2000s. The 6505 or 6505+ can easily be picked up for around £500 second hand. I think the 5150 badged Peavey amps hold a bit more value but are still fairly common. There's also a 6534+ (which I own and love) same amp but runs on EL34 tubes, not a common variant of the amp though. All will be solidly built and versatile enough to cover most playing styles including high gain metal.

I'd love to try the 6505 Mini Head but they don't seem too common in the UK, I'd also have reservations about how loud it can be played cleanly (20 watts distorted will still be ridiculously loud).

Blackstar would be the other recommendation, can easily be picked up S/H, plenty of good reviews. Definitely go with a 2x12 cab and not a 4x12.
[/quote]

Thank you, that's really helped. I'm going to try and get my buddy to come with me to a couple of stores sometime next week and see what we can try out - the Peavy stuff is certainly going to be something we have a good look at. The Blackstar sounds interesting too. I actually had an HT1R practice amp and found it to be an amazingly well built and fantastic sounding little thing.

Volume wise I would think around the 20/30 watt mark should be fine as we're always going to be going into a PA even at practice, so volume from the amp itself is less of an issue than just good and flexible tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I suppose budget is a big thing here.
Personally I'd go second hand.

Peavey 5150 / 6505
Laney Ironheart
Peavey xxx
Marshall mode 4
Bugera make clones of some Hi gain amps
Although I can't speak about the build quality as I've not tried one.
Good luck in your search.

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1449662016' post='2925650']
[/quote]

I assume they're the same as the micro heads in which case Rich Tone in Sheffield have 2 in stock if you want a trip across the Pennines.

[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/peavey_6505_micro_head_230gb.asp"]http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/peavey_6505_micro_head_230gb.asp[/url]

Edited by GarethFlatlands

• 1 month later...