Why become a member? ×

Gibson basses

Johnny1977

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1452084883' post='2946194'] I tried out a 2012 Gibson Grabber in PMT last week. It was without doubt the worst sounding bass i've ever played. 3 x single coils, of which they can only be set on a 3 way as bridge + middle / all 3 and neck / middle pickups. The wide spacing of the pickups meant a very muddy sound I could not get any real definition from it, slap was out of the question. [/quote] [quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452087767' post='2946234'] That's the same as the wiring on a three pickup Les Paul. Very odd way to do it. [/quote]

You have to wonder what precisely stopped them looking at a Fender Stratocaster and having a lightbulb moment...

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1452090454' post='2946266']
There's a good reason no-one else does it.
[/quote]

What's the reason? Genuine question, not stirring.

While I don't understand doing it with three pickups which are already inherently humbucking, I can see the wisdom in it for single coils.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1452168720' post='2947160']
What's the reason? Genuine question, not stirring.

While I don't understand doing it with three pickups which are already inherently humbucking, I can see the wisdom in it for single coils.
[/quote]

Not sure if this is what Machines was thinking, but my first thought would certainly have been "wot no solo pickup settings?" Personally I tend to favour one of the pickups soloed on most basses, so being limited to different blends sounds rather off-putting.

I had a 3 pickup Danelectro Hodad which had all combinations available and the solo pickup settings were the weakest sounding. It had a 6 position rotary and a toggle switch which bypassed the rotary and put all pickups on. That was the sound I liked the best, or maybe neck+middle, so I suspect this is a personal preference thing above all else.