Why become a member? ×

Gibson basses

Johnny1977

He guys,

I am a bit new here.

Currently I have Fender Jazz Bass American Standard with custom shop pick ups.

I would like to have an another bass at hand, a little bit different from my Fender. Actually, the Fender is a great instrument except the one thing for me - quite narrow neck. I am looking for a bass with kind of 50th neck profile and short scale length as well.

Recently I came across Gibson basses like Les Paul and SG, EG models. The thing is, the demos I found on youtube showing only finger style playing and sadly no slap at all. I am Mark King`s fan and for me the slap is a must.

Could somebody advise me please if you tried the slap on Gibson basses? How does it sound? Which Gibson bass is the best in your opinion?

Maybe somebody foes have a Gibson bass for sale or trade in for my J-bass?

Thanks in advance

There's no reason you couldn't slap a Gibson Bass.Try one and see if you like how it sounds.

The general view seems to be that slap bass sounds best on a bass with a bridge pickup, like a Jazz or a Stingray (though there are plenty of videos on YouTube of people using the technique on Precisions and other non bridge pickuped basses).So most Gibson's I've seen would qualify on that front.

As long as you like how it sounds I reckon anything goes.

Edited by Cato

Technique is everything with slap.

I'm no slap monster, but whenever I try a bit of slap on different basses I generally sound the same which leads me to believe that anything will do the job as long as you can slap well.

If you're a great slap player, you'll make anything sound good.

For what it's worth, the best slap tone I ever heard was from a Precision.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1449496573' post='2923996']
Technique is everything with slap.

I'm no slap monster, but whenever I try a bit of slap on different basses I generally sound the same which leads me to believe that anything will do the job as long as you can slap well.
[/quote]

After this phrase I actually see Mark King with Custom made Olympic bass.

I actually tried to slap on Sting signature bass with very interesting result, very different from my J-bass.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449497055' post='2924008']
I'm not saying you couldn't slap on a Gibson, obviously you could slap any bass if you wanted to, I'm just puzzled as to why a Gibson would be the number one choice for a Mark King fan.
[/quote]
I want something different from Fender J-bass.

I can't slap, so please forgive me if this is crap.

It depends upon the Gibson bass - the SG for instance (and a few others like the pre-1972 EB, plus the Victory Custom/Artist, Midtown Standard/Signature) has its neck pickup jammed up against the neck heel and therefore could frustrate the popping part of slapping by limiting the amount of space available to get under the strings. Carved tops to a lesser extent could also cause issues in this respect (will have to check my Epi Les Paul about this).

Apart from these simple mechanical compromises, there's nothing stopping you slapping on a Gibson bass.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1449497562' post='2924025']

It depends upon the Gibson bass - the SG for instance (and a few others like the pre-1972 EB, plus the Victory Custom/Artist, Midtown Standard/Signature) has its neck pickup jammed up against the neck heel and therefore could frustrate the popping part of slapping by limiting the amount of space available to get under the strings. Carved tops to a lesser extent could also cause issues in this respect (will have to check my Epi Les Paul about this).

Apart from these simple mechanical compromises, there's nothing stopping you slapping on a Gibson bass.
[/quote]

Thanks you very much. It is very interesting short review.

How about the Thunderbird?

Has anybody tried to slap on it?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1449497562' post='2924025']

[/quote]

This is a very good point - my SG bass would be no good for slap style. The other consideration is that a lot of the more readily available Gibson basses (SGs, T-birds) tend to have quite a dark sound. Obviously you can EQ the amp to counteract this, but you may find the guitar's basic tone lacks the combination of "clank" and "burp" that are normally blended on a Jazz bass for classic slap tones.

(But then I'm a Gibson fan, and not a slap player, so take my advice with a healthy pinch of salt!)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1449498041' post='2924035']
This is a very good point - my SG bass would be no good for slap style. The other consideration is that a lot of the more readily available Gibson basses (SGs, T-birds) tend to have quite a dark sound. Obviously you can EQ the amp to counteract this, but you may find the guitar's basic tone lacks the combination of "clank" and "burp" that are normally blended on a Jazz bass for classic slap tones.

(But then I'm a Gibson fan, and not a slap player, so take my advice with a healthy pinch of salt!)
[/quote]

Thanks you very much. I was actually after Gibson bass fans advises!

[quote name='Johnny1977' timestamp='1449497870' post='2924031']

[/quote]

I think the video title is sarcastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hge1FpFTx8M

[/quote]

Thunderbirds have got very narrow necks, if you don't like your Jazz I can't see you liking a Thunderbird.

[/quote]

Just like slapping a jazz bass.... Different sounds obviously but what tones I set on the bass/amp will be different to yours :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1449496004' post='2923985']
Not played one myself but the best slap tone I've heard from a Gibson bass was on a late 70s Gibson Ripper.
[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449496018' post='2923986']
Somebody may well come along & correct me, but if you're really into slapping I don't think a Gibson is going to be the right bass for you.
[/quote]

/thread

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1449498041' post='2924035']

[/quote]

This is exactly why I think a Gibson is not a great choice for slapping. If they were good choice for for slapping you'd see a lot more people using them that way.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1449498540' post='2924047']
Just like slapping a jazz bass.... Different sounds obviously but what tones I set on the bass/amp will be different to yours :)
[/quote]

I undertsand that you own the T-Bird?

Could you please tell me if the scale length is the same as on J-bass? What strings do you use?

Is the T-Bird is different in soung to Les Paul bass?

Hi Johnny, you may be assuming that Fender and Gibson are the two big names to check out. That may be true in the world of electric guitars but for bass Gibson are an under-achiever. Gibson have never had a model that bass players have whole heartedly embraced. That position probably goes to the Rickenbacker 4001/4003.

For slap look modern style through neck basses with active electronics. Status comes to mind straight away.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1449498796' post='2924053']
Hi Johnny, you may be assuming that Fender and Gibson are the two big names to check out. That may be true in the world of electric guitars but for bass Gibson are an under-achiever. Gibson have never had a model that bass players have whole heartedly embraced. That position probably goes to the Rickenbacker 4001/4003.

For slap look modern style through neck basses with active electronics. Status comes to mind straight away.
[/quote]

Could you tell me please more about the Rickenbacker? I have never tried them. Are they any good for slapping?

I'm not into the slap style of playing but, when I was looking round for stuff about the Gibson Les Paul Junior DC before I bought one, I found a great demo of one by Scott Whitley and, if I remember right, it included some slapping. Just Google the bass and it should come up. Btw, if you like it, there's a minter currently on sale on this forum at a very reasonable (for US-built Gibbo) £450 - no, it's not mine!!

Cheers, Mike

PS If you can't find it I'll try and post a link.

If you check old threads in the bass guitars forum you'll find T-birds vary alot because Gibson are not consistent in the pickups they use. I tried Norris' T-bird at the last Midlands bass bash and it was one of the darkest, bassiest, least toppy basses I've ever played (not at all what you want for slapping) but some of the recent reissues are totally different.

There's alot of bass makers out there and you could pickup a decent boutique brand like Roscoe or Mayones (particularly second hand) for the same or less than Gibson prices.