Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003S Advice Please

Fingerslikesausages

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford a new 4003S, I've always coveted a Rickenbacker, but now it's coming to crunch time, I'm wavering a bit.

Got a few of questions;

Is the 4003S worth having, or would I be better off getting an older used model?

I'm currently playing a Yamaha BB414, only been playing for 4 years, I'm average at best.
Are they just as easy to play as the BB? (I have got an Epiphone Thunderbird copy more for looks than practicality, hangs on the wall more than it's played).

Is it going to give me anything extra sound wise? Gigging through TC Electric BG250 combo.

I know it's a nice dilemma to have, but I don't want to look like a Flash Twat with more money than talent!

Thanks for any advice

FLS

Definitely, definitely play one (or more) first, not just for the ergonomics, but for the quality control: I bought a brand new one last year which went back the next day because it was frankly a bit rubbish. I'd never buy one blind without a cast-iron returns clause.

As has been said, they're very Marmite basses. I love the look of them, but I just cannot get on with them, despite having owned a couple. Other folk love them, and yeah, if you find one you like, it's all good. :)

Edited by Muzz

Many years ago I played a 4003 at a guitar show and it probably was the worst bass I'd ever played. Add to that the cost and I wouldn't look at another again - until recently. I had gone into Guitar Guitar to try out some single pickup basses, but saw they had some Ricks, including a 4003s. I thought I'd try one to check my previous opinion still held. Totally different bass, quite a chunky neck, but OK for my hands. Then I plugged it in - oh my! I had to have that sound in my life. The lack of binding makes it easy on the forearm and the dot inlays wind the significant bling factor back nicely. Yes the pickup surround and cover are a nuisance (to me at least) at first, but whip off the cover and buy a surround for the massive hole left behind and you're good to go. I've received more positive comments about the tone than any of my other conventional pickup basses.

Rics are probably the ultimate YMMV may vary bass, so get out there and try one.

Try it out!

I owned one for a few months, it went out of the house maybe five times, two of those occasions someone tried to nick it.

While subjective, it sounded just lovely...and I mean really lovely. Man if I could afford to take the guts out of a 4000 series and drop them into a Thunderbird I'd be in happyville.

FWIW: I'd hankered after a Ric for many, many years before I ever owned one, there was always something holding me back, either cost or condition of the used ones I tried, but I finally found one that I could afford, and was in very good condition. It turned out to be the one bass that I owned for the longest period through the time that I've been playing, and only sold it because I had no choice financially. Regret selling it? Yes. What put me off for so long? The neck profile was so different to the universal P or J style neck, but then trying one out felt so "right".

Anyway, I think that if you're thinking of getting a Ric, then you should try out as many as you can, new or used. Use your hands and ears.

The necks are "chunky", it's slightly wider than the Yam's, but also slightly thinner IIRC (was looking at the BB414 when I was replacing my old 4003, but bought a Jazz instead... a big mistake after the Ric! Ended up selling the Jazz & buying a Rockinbetter "replica" x2!).

I'm not a big fan of the "S", for me a Ric has to have the binding & triangle board inlays, though I do like the 4004's.

In about 2001 I was in the same kind of position as you...........now my Ric is my go to bass and even though I flirt with the others in my collection every now and again, the Ric gets most of my love.

Anyway, what's driving this Ric obsession??

I would say this to you (most of which other peeps have already said =))

- Go play it first! They feel loads different to a J or P neck and are wider up and down the neck, but thinner front to back. There might be proper terms for this, but I hope you get what I mean. Personally I love the neck and struggle going back to anything thinner.

- It's going to give you loads different tonally. They're a very distinctive sound that you don't really get in any other bass. A few can sound like they're imitating a Ric, but none sound like a Ric. For that reason a lot of people will say they don't like them and it'll also be the main reason why a lot of owners love them. Personally, I love the bright, aggressive, CLANK that my Ric gets. I can get close to it with other basses, but I can't nail it with other basses.

- They tend to hold their value pretty well and I'm not sure what the price difference is between them new and used? I would normally say go 2nd hand as your budget tends to go further, but I'm not sure how much you'll be saving with a Ric. Can you afford a new one? If you can and you're not GASsing for anything else at the mo then get a new one. There's nothing quite like owning a bass and knowing exactly what caused all of the chips, dings and dents over its lifetime =)

- Don't worry about looking like a a flash twat with no talent. You will look flash because Rics are IMO, the sexiest and best looking basses that have ever been made. However, as long as Adam Clayton is around then everyone is going to be looking at him and his plodding bass lines played on shiny basses :lol:

- Oh and I'm with Skybone on the inlays and binding. Ditch the 'S'.

Edited by Jonesy

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1449440689' post='2923628']
Try it out!

I owned one for a few months, it went out of the house maybe five times, two of those occasions someone tried to nick it.

While subjective, it sounded just lovely...and I mean really lovely. Man if I could afford to take the guts out of a 4000 series and drop them into a Thunderbird I'd be in happyville.
[/quote]

I was thinking exactly the same the other day!! If only someone made after market pups that sound like a Ric then I feel a project coming along!

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1449500517' post='2924092']
If only someone made after market pups that sound like a Ric then I feel a project coming along!
[/quote]Why not just buy actual Ric p/ups? http://www.rickysounds.co.uk/Pickups.html

I picked up a regular 4003 unseen (other than eBay pics) for about £800 which was the typical s/h price at the time, though it was only about 18 months old, in prisitne nick and had 'only been used for home recording'. This was back when eBay wasn't full of con artists and it subsequently arrived exactly as described. I had played a couple previously so I knew I was happy with the particular body shape and though not ideal for me I could handle the neck profile. It was my main gigging bass for a good few years but has not featured much recently as the bands I've been in have favoured a more precision type tone. Still have it, might get it out for the odd jam session over xmas just for a laugh.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1449500517' post='2924092']
I was thinking exactly the same the other day!! If only someone made after market pups that sound like a Ric then I feel a project coming along!
[/quote]

I love the tone I get from my various basses; they all have individual characteristics and I can fairly easily get them to produce a similar sound, but the Rick had something different straight out of the box.

Reckon that a project would need to be done properly, with the right parts and on a decent Thunderbird source bass.

Agree with all of the above - you HAVE to try one.

I'd played Fenders for ever - Took a trip to that London a few years ago and went for a look in the Gallery in Camden. There was a s/h mapleglo 4003 on the wall, started me dribbling. Asked politely if they would remove the pickup cover (which they did)and played it for near enough an hour in the shop (sitting on a stool) and decided that was it - I was having it.

Off I skipped - gagging for the weekend's gigs to show of my new toy - Did one gig with it and sold it.

Now I have to say - It was and still is undoubtedly the best looking bass I've ever worn - and it sounded pretty good too - but it was SO uncomfortable to play when standing up I couldn't believe it - Gutted wasn't the word.

No arm chamfer = Pain when you're use to Basses that have them (they're there for a reason!). Also some songs were played with a pick and I kept catching my pick on the pickup surround which is MASSIVE and stands proud of the body.

With hindsight I could have probably persevered with it and maybe I could have found a way to adapt my playing style to suit the guitar, but at the time I really didn't think I should have to do that.

So to summarize form my experience - Find any one to start with and make sure you play it on a strap and whilst standing up - Then if you get on with them, I would go and try a few others to find the one that's suits you the best..HTH.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1449590376' post='2924939']

No arm chamfer = Pain when you're use to Basses that have them (they're there for a reason!). Also some songs were played with a pick and I kept catching my pick on the pickup surround which is MASSIVE and stands proud of the body.

[/quote]The joy of the S version; smooth edges. I don't find the surround a nuisance, but I did find that, with the cover removed, I'd occasionally catch my fingers on the exposed edges, sometimes so much I thought I'd cut myself. Fortunately, Rickysounds sell a bezel which prevents this, it isn't cheap though :( But you can ditch the whole thing completely with a flat, chrome plate that I saw a while back, it might've come from Retrovibe.

Edited by ezbass

I agree with the sentiment of others who say try a few - try as many as you can
Yes, they are marmite basses, and there are a lot of people who really seem to hate them
However, if you get one you like, there's nothing else quite like it

I've always loved the look and sound of Ricks. I owned a 4003 and it was good
I sold it because it was mint, and I was over protective of it, so didn't gig it, and it didn't really suit the sound of what I was doing at the time
My 4003 didn't feel as nice as some of the older 4001's I'd tried

I also own a Shaftesbury faker, and that's really amazing to play - just as good as the older Ricks IMO
Before buying a brand new 4003 - try some S/H Ricks, then try the 4003 and see how it compares
But do it that way around - so you're not tempted to just lay the cash on the table straight away!

I don't find Ricks as comfy as some other basses, as the edges of the body are relatively "sharp"
They aren't rounded off and the body isn't contoured. Depending on your style of playing of course, this may not matter...

Good luck in your search. Let us know how you get on. And ignore comments from those who hate them
It's your money, it's your choice

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1449670834' post='2925812']
Good luck in your search. Let us know how you get on. And ignore comments from those who hate them
It's your money, it's your choice
[/quote]Very much the above.

Either way, it'll be an interesting voyage of discovery.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1449590631' post='2924944']
I think of them as the Harley Davidson of basses. And that isn't a compliment!
[/quote]

It's a valid comparison! Style over performance, reliability and ergonomics, hugely overpriced, completely marmite to the point of controversy, However, whether you like it or not, both are still rare examples of novel, iconic, and classic design.