Why become a member? ×

I don't like reggae, oh no. I love it...

TrevorR

We've been a bit spoiled for rock docs the last few weeks. First Wilko's and then there was a rather good documentary on 10cc on BBC4 on Friday. I'd forgotten what great careers Gouldman and Stewart had even before forming 10cc, let alone with the band and afterwards.

Well worth a look on iPlayer.

I'm Not In Love: The Story of 10cc: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06r14pr via @bbciplayer

I didn't realise that two of them had married sisters, must have made it awkward when the 2 'halves' of the band split. I noticed that they weren't all in the same room together even now ;)
It's OK, I know they usually make these docs interviewing people separately.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449494243' post='2923966']
I didn't realise that two of them had married sisters, must have made it awkward when the 2 'halves' of the band split. I noticed that they weren't all in the same room together even now ;)
It's OK, I know they usually make these docs interviewing people separately.
[/quote]The way ES refers to GG as Gouldman and not Graham seemed to indicate an undercurrent of tension.

I liked the program, I learnt some stuff and it was good to reconnect with 10cc after many years. Back when I had vinyl, one of the best albums I had was their, Live and Let Live; stunning.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1449500542' post='2924093']
The way ES refers to GG as Gouldman and not Graham seemed to indicate an undercurrent of tension.

I liked the program, I learnt some stuff and it was good to reconnect with 10cc after many years. Back when I had vinyl, one of the best albums I had was their, Live and Let Live; stunning.
[/quote]Yes I thought not referring to him as Graham was poor regardless of any bad blood. I know Gouldman now tours as 10cc as the only original member.

I'm evangelical about this band...even now. Those first five albums are pretty much perfect and Gouldman plays some Godlike bass throughout. I saw them earlier this year at the RAH and they were excellent-as ever. As for a reunion...don't hold your breath.

Loved the bit about how they recorded the "choral" sounds on "Not In Love" (the only song I knew by them before watching the show). Three weeks of recording tape loops for each note, and then playing the mixer like a keyboard. Of course, now it would be trivial to do on a sampler, but incredible imagination to come up with that in the pre-sampler era since even a Mellotron wouldn't be able to do it (no long sustained notes due to the tapes only being a few centimetres long).

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1449531311' post='2924493']
Loved the bit about how they recorded the "choral" sounds on "Not In Love" (the only song I knew by them before watching the show). Three weeks of recording tape loops for each note, and then playing the mixer like a keyboard. Of course, now it would be trivial to do on a sampler, but incredible imagination to come up with that in the pre-sampler era since even a Mellotron wouldn't be able to do it (no long sustained notes due to the tapes only being a few centimetres long).
[/quote]

Mellotron tapes are a hell of a lot longer than a few centimetres.

Saw the original Band at Leeds University , 1973 or 1974 I think and a great gig. Think I may have a poster for it somewhere too. They did some PR for an anniversary earlier this year so I listened to the first 3 albums again, it was quite apparent many songs had complete sections written by the opposing halves.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449532082' post='2924502']
Mellotron tapes are a hell of a lot longer than a few centimetres.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious, but the time it takes the tapes to reset means that sometimes a subsequent press of the same key will restart a note playing with an annoying click.

10cc played at Cardiff Castle in 1975.
I didn't go (my elder brother & sister did) but we lived pretty close to the castle so we could easily hear them from our garden.

A couple of the photos used in the documentary were from the Cardiff Castle gig.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1449531311' post='2924493']
[/quote]I heard once you could get eight seconds out of a Mellotron note?

10cc -10cc was the first album I bought with my own money, I think I was about 8. I played it continuously for 2 years, that's how long it took me to save up for my next purchase :)

Hugely creative, and I suppose I still look for that in the music I listen to now.

Very interesting programme.