Why become a member? ×

Best tuner pedal

Tenty

If you have some sort of multi-effect on your board (Zoom B3, MS-60B, Line-6 M5, etc) these work great and won't cost you anything (also not in pedal real-estate, which is often not less important).

If you want dedicated, I'm pretty happy with my TC Polytune 2, but in hindsight I should have gone with the mini (which AFAICT, is the same only smaller and without the polyphonic mode for bass., which I never use anyway).

Also very well respected is the Turbo-Tuner ST-300.

Edited by ProfFrink

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1449316298' post='2922490']
I like the Korg Pitchblack nice and easy to see very accurate
[/quote]

This. The display is very clear indeed and can be seen under any stage lighting conditions. The mute switch is completely silent (no pops, even with valve amps). And it has a 9V [i][b]output [/b][/i]socket ... if you only use one non-battery fx pedal on your board, then you can daisy-chain it from the Pitchblack and effectively (see what I did there?) turn it into a battery-powered pedal.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1449316298' post='2922490']
I like the Korg Pitchblack nice and easy to see very accurate also only sold mine as I do not use a pedal tuner anymore but if I did I would get another Korg :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1449323466' post='2922601']
This. The display is very clear indeed and can be seen under any stage lighting conditions. The mute switch is completely silent (no pops, even with valve amps). And it has a 9V [i][b]output [/b][/i]socket ... if you only use one non-battery fx pedal on your board, then you can daisy-chain it from the Pitchblack and effectively (see what I did there?) turn it into a battery-powered pedal.
[/quote]

Another vote for the Pitchblack. When it is bypassed (i.e. you are playing through it) the current draw is tiny. Even so, it gives you fair warning when the battery is nearing the end of its juice (red 'chevron' LED flashes).

My old Boss TU 2 saw me right for many years and I would have said it would be hard to better it. However, a few years back I needed a parallel set up in two places so thought I'd buy a second tuner. I was going to get a TU 3 but plumped for a TC Polytune instead. Haven't used the Boss pedal since. The TC is a cracking bit of kit. I never use the "all strings at once" gimmick but for normal mode it's spot on and really clear display. Either would more than see you right though.

I've used both our guitarists' pitchblack tuners on occasion and it doesn't pick up the low b on my 5 strings so had to tune that string using the 12th fret harmonic.
I have a Snark pedal tuner which was about 2 thirds the price of the pitchblack, is very solidly built, has an equally clear display and tracks the low b string (actually down half a step to b flat) perfectly. Couldn't recommend it more highly!

I have a tc polytune (the original one), and it tracks the B on my 6er no problem. I do have it after a compressor, but it tracks well without one too.

I also got bored one day, and managed to tune the tone knob on my OD pedal, and both of my bitcrushers to E (individually in my feedback loop so they self occilated). It coped with that fine.

Edited by elephantgrey

Tried most of the pedal tuners in the market; Boss, TC, Peterson, Planet Waves, Korg, etc.

If money is not an issue, the best of the lot will be the Turbo Tuner from Sonic Research

otherwise, very close second place is the Polytune 2.

add: whenever I am setting up my basses, Adjusting intonation etc, I am using the tuner on the Eventide H9. as quick as the Polytune's and as it shows the numerical values of the tuning adjustments, much easier for adjustments.

Edited by ordep

Another Pitch Black user here, I've has mine from when they were first released, never a day's aggro: clear display, accurate (low B included), mutes. To be honest, there probably isn't much between the popular models, you pick the one you like the look of best and has the features you like.

One advantage of the Boss TU-2 is the switching is silent.... no click at all. This is really important for me as I do a lot of band pit work for shows so the TU-2 gets used as a mute between songs and the click of the usual stomp-switch would be annoying. This may, of course, not matter to you.