Why become a member? ×

Found a really cool bass line in an unexpected place...

TrevorR

I should preface this post by noting that I have a 5 year old little boy... That's my excuse.

I was sitting on the train this morning with my iPod on shuffle listening to some tunes when a tune came on that wouldn't have been a personal choice. It's one I'd heard dozens of times but never in ideal listening conditions - usually in the car or on the telly. However, as it started I thought, "Mmmm, that bass has a really nice tone to it. Never noticed that before." And then as I listened further I realised it had the most brilliant bass line. Sure I'd clocked the basic line but never heard the subtleties in ther playing. The funky little ghost notes that were thrown in here and there. The contrast between the bouncy, cheerful verse line and the driving straight eights chorus. I certainly hadn't clocked the really nice slap lines on the second prechorus section.

I ended up listening through to it three or four times the really get behind the bass line and verify that it really was as cool as it seemed to be. Frankly I was a bit shocked and stunned. So what was this tune?

"Love is an open door" from the soundtrack of Disney's Frozen! Yup, one of the last few year's top parent tormenting songs is actually a pretty cool bit of playing. See what you think...

http://youtu.be/j6nnoWgbdvg

In fact the playing felt strangely familiar. Some Googling provided the answer. Bassist on the Frozen soundtrack? The mighty Abe Laboriel. One of my all time fave bassists. No wonder the bassline sounded both familiar and cool. Now for a reappraisal of Let It Go? Don't know if I dare.

And for those who don't have preschool/primary aged kids and may not be aware of Frozen... Here's the song in context...

http://youtu.be/TtCXUFImZYE

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1449271744' post='2922230']
I should preface this post by noting that I have a 5 year old little boy... That's my excuse.

I was sitting on the train this morning with my iPod on shuffle listening to some tunes when a tune came on that wouldn't have been a personal choice. It's one I'd heard dozens of times but never in ideal listening conditions - usually in the car or on the telly. However, as it started I thought, "Mmmm, that bass has a really nice tone to it. Never noticed that before." And then as I listened further I realised it had the most brilliant bass line. Sure I'd clocked the basic line but never heard the subtleties in ther playing. The funky little ghost notes that were thrown in here and there. The contrast between the bouncy, cheerful verse line and the driving straight eights chorus. I certainly hadn't clocked the really nice slap lines on the second prechorus section.

I ended up listening through to it three or four times the really get behind the bass line and verify that it really was as cool as it seemed to be. Frankly I was a bit shocked and stunned. So what was this tune?

"Love is an open door" from the soundtrack of Disney's Frozen! Yup, one of the last few year's top parent tormenting songs is actually a pretty cool bit of playing. See what you think...

http://youtu.be/j6nnoWgbdvg

In fact the playing felt strangely familiar. Some Googling provided the answer. Bassist on the Frozen soundtrack? The mighty Abe Laboriel. One of my all time fave bassists. No wonder the bassline sounded both familiar and cool. Now for a reappraisal of Let It Go? Don't know if I dare.

And for those who don't have preschool/primary aged kids and may not be aware of Frozen... Here's the song in context...

http://youtu.be/TtCXUFImZYE
[/quote]

I've had to listen to this for over a year and yep, it's a really great line! Lots of bouncy 5ths and octaves. I learnt it a while back, took a few attempts to get it half smooth, and I'm not the most proficient slapper so the second verse slap section was a bit hard to get off, in terms of timing the rhythmic parts of the slap. Great playing though and you kind of get the sense from how relaxed the line sounds that he just banged it out first time.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1449308650' post='2922376']
I've two girls 7 and 4 so well acquainted with Frozen, Love Is An Open Door has a cracking bassline, I'd be interested in finding out who recorded it.

Hercules had a really good songs in it too.
[/quote]

Electric bass on the whole soundtrack is the great Abraham Laboriel. Such a great player and now knowing its him I can really hear a lot of his style in it...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1449351354' post='2922901']
I'm really into the fretless playing on the Lion King soundtrack. Great stuff!
[/quote]

According to Allmusic.com it was Phil Spalding. Good player. Saw him playing live decades ago with both Toyah and the Hackett/Howe project GTR. Whatever happened to him? Not heard anything of him in yonks.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1449305257' post='2922339']
My wee boy is right into Paw Patrol at the moment. Super catchy theme song and based on green day type pop rock guitar sounds. Bearable.
[/quote]
Paw patrol theme was written and performed by a friend of mine called Scott Simmonds. He used to be in a band called the argument. Worth checking out if you like power pop / early Ben folds five...