Why become a member? ×

P Bass with slim neck?

Funky Dunky

I thought this would have been covered, many times, but a search yielded zero results.

My next bass will likely be a Precision-style bass, but I need a slimmer neck more akin to a Jazz due to my gimpety hands. Where should I start? Lakin? G&L? Marucszyk? The main thing is that it looks and sounds like a P, but with a J style neck.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1449266774' post='2922188']
Schecter Model T - P/J body with Seymour Duncan pickups, and a neck that's definitely more akin to a Jazz. Probably about the same price as a MIM Fender, but the sound and build quality are a cut above.
[/quote]

As a big Robert Deleo fan, I like this suggestion a lot!

Building your own is a good way forward. I had a 90s MIJ Fender Precision body fitted with a Mighty Mite Jazz neck and, eventually, a Fender original pickup. That was delicious and I regret not keeping it as it did all the things my subsequent basses have done.

Fender Jazz Bass Special models have Jazz shaped necks but Precision bodies. P/J pups. Usually sell for around £400.

Precision Lyte has an uber slim neck, very shallow. Sold mine now but there are a couple for sale within your budget.

Squier Silver Series precision basses were the last of the MIJ Squiers from the early 90s, generally exceptionally good, and had a 40mm wide neck.

i built a P from a jap squier with a knackered neck and put a flamed maple J neck on it and a mirror pickguard and badass2 for the lynott look, it plays, looks and sounds great. It also maybe for sale shortly due to other purchases. (badass not in pic)

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060143_zpsm3mzo0hz.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060146_zpsa8tgqiik.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by DarkHeart

A couple of months ago I got a Squire CV P from the classifieds here. I loved the bass but didn't get on with the chunky P neck so I got a Mighty Mite J neck (cost was a tad under £100). The bass plays like a dream for me now, it's become my main gigging instrument.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1449278149' post='2922271']
I would love to, but - and I should have specified in my OP - I'd be looking to spend about half the cost of those bad boys.
[/quote]

My Japanese not for export P has a much slimmer neck than the normal precision.

My Squier P Bass Special would fit the bill if you can find one second hand. Precision body, Jazz neck like a matchstick and PJ pups. Cheap as chips and sounds great with a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders slapped in it. I haven't gigged any of my other basses for a couple of months

Edit: Total cost of mine was £250

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1449607154' post='2925201']
My Squier P Bass Special would fit the bill if you can find one second hand. Precision body, Jazz neck like a matchstick and PJ pups. Cheap as chips and sounds great with a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders slapped in it.
[/quote]
I've gigged and recorded with one of these for 15 years, with the same SDs in. Plays and sounds the business. Better than a lot of Fenders I've tried.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449607668' post='2925208']
Maruszczyk will build one for you for a very reasonable price...
[/quote]

How reasonable we talking? I'll be honest here - I won a Fender Jazz bass and it's a beautiful instrument, looks great and sounds even better. But it just doesn't feel right to me, it's not comfortable for me. So I have to find a way to either sell of trade to get the maximum value I can, and get a bass which looks great, sounds amazing but feels right for me.