Why become a member? ×

SOLD**Fender USA Early 80s P Bass £250

Mr Cougar

Okay Guys time has come to get rid of my Fender USA P Bass 1982, let me stress this is a bit of a project for someone, I'm not trying to pass off a dud as perfect so read carefully.

First up; what I do know: it is marked as a 79 Pbass serial number S9 etc, but the other dates on it suggest to me it's an early 80s, most likely 82/83, I've had the neck off and there's a stamp on it the details of which I looked up. As far as I'm aware this isn't uncommon, someone might like to come back on this if they know more.

What's right with it: it got a good finish with some buckle rash on the back which is in one pic which makes it look worse than it is, nothing unusual for a 25 year old, it's got a non-period replcement (but genuine fender I know because I put it on myself) tort pickguard, a spanking new badass bridge and replacement Bass Lines p'ups. The frets are in tidy conditions and are the really low profile type and the neck has a really nice glossy maple finish.

Whats a bit knackered: the electronics have an earth problem (ie: a hum), easily solved I'm sure but not something I can be arsed sorting. The chrome on the knobs for the pots is a bit worn but it's 25 years old so... It has a bend in the neck this seems to have been sorted out by tinkering with the truss rod and this seems to have settled down now. The main issue is that the head stock has a forward bend in it too, I can't draw you a picture, but what happened is that this made the A sit proud of the nut by about 1/4 mm. To combat this I had Jon Shuker fit an extra string tree, so it has 2 string trees on it, this has solved the problem, but who am I to say; it could get worse, although to be frank it hasn't in the last 6 months. It seems stable now but my guess is that it has been left in a humid atmosphere and has warped and that it has taken the last year I've had it to settle down, I'm no expert though, I can't be sure that it isn't permanently shagged. Also some of the scratchplate screws are loose and this could do with sorting, I have a pack of Fender screws that I would include.

My intention was to get the leccy sorted, make sure the neck is sound and then either keep it as a backup to my other P or stick a status neck on, but I just don't need it and I'd rather one of you guys got the benefit of it and I got it out of my way. Since it's not perfect I'm after £250.

The people I've dealt with over the years and on Bassworld will know I'm not trying to rip anyone off here with a dodgy bass but I don't want this hanging round when I don't need it.

I will post it in the rather forlorn case for postage possibly about £25 if someone wants it but I'd much rather someone had a look at it before they bought it as I'd want them to be happy with what they are getting.

Edited by Mr Cougar

I reckon if Mr Cougar can take the trouble to give as honest assessment of the bass as he has - maybe even over played it's shortcomings - one of us should relieve him of it for not very much money toot suite.

Sadly I've just aquired the Bluflower P as a Fender to chuck around , otherwise I'd have this like a shot.

Can't remember when I last saw a chance to own a near-vintage Fender that requires nothing much more than a bit of TLC and an eye keeping on the headstock issue for the price of a second hand Mex. As a project I doubt there's many of us couldn't sort it over the weekend.

Gah, I want a Pbass, and this seems like a good option, even though The bass hass been through some wear and tear. And I'm sure I could buy another neck. Just checked the Fender website, and the Serial Number indicates between '79 to '81 (S9 + 5 digits).

[quote name='Exile252' post='282854' date='Sep 12 2008, 07:30 PM']Gah, I want a Pbass, and this seems like a good option, even though The bass hass been through some wear and tear. And I'm sure I could buy another neck. Just checked the Fender website, and the Serial Number indicates between '79 to '81 (S9 + 5 digits).[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about the neck too much. It seems stable now and playable. If you are worried you can get a Mighty Mite for 50 brick and a 5 quid transfer. Bet you now if you stuck the old one on Ebay you'd cover that and more.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='282871' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:00 PM']I wouldn't worry about the neck too much. It seems stable now and playable. If you are worried you can get a Mighty Mite for 50 brick and a 5 quid transfer. Bet you now if you stuck the old one on Ebay you'd cover that and more.[/quote]

You could be right hehe. only other problem with buying a new neck, would it devalue the bass?

[quote name='Exile252' post='282876' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:09 PM']You could be right hehe. only other problem with buying a new neck, would it devalue the bass?[/quote]

If it's a keeper who cares if it's 'worth' 10p ?

But - fair point , so I'd say not much because it's cheap to start with - and if you kept the old neck rather than selling it on then shifted them together in the future as a package you'd likely make a few bob.

I do and I don't wanna buy this :). I need my money for uni (well, it be handy to say the least). But I'm really liking the look of this bass. Though I'd probably change the pickguard to gold of chrome.

Oh yeah, is the case wrecked? And would it fit a J-bass V?

Edited by Exile252

Thanks for the chat guys.

At the moment the first man on the scene was thehandofjohncurley, or Matt to his mates and kids, so being fair I'll let him have it, and if he doesn't think I've been honest he can send it back to me.

As for devaluing it, that made me laugh. The bottom line with this is I got it as a part ex third party mess around with my drummer and one of his mates, I reckon it cost me c.£300, but thats totally subjective as it was my valuation of a part ex so all I'm trying to do here is get back what I put out at £250, I'd never try to rip off a Basschatter, I've been here since we were Bassworld and it really hacks me off that the misunderstandings have meant good people (Beedster anyone) have left.

Sorry to any of you guys who fancied this.

Apologies to all other Bc'ers, please dont think there was anythign underhand to this, Jim and I had been discussing this off line , therefore the bid went in as soon as the post was made.

As for honesty on JIm s part, i cant recommend the guy highly enough. this will be the third item I've taken off his hands ( 2nd Bass) and he is an absolute pleasure to deal with and is integrity is 100%. I am fully aware of the (potential) issues with this bass and 100% happy its as Jim described it!

Cheers

Matt