Why become a member? ×

Role of the bass player in a one-guitar band?

thebrig

Our band is going from being a two-guitar band to a one-guitar band, I've [u]never ever[/u] played in a one guitar band before, so any advice would be most welcome.

I normally play without using any pedals, so should I be looking at using a few to get a more full on sound, and if so, what would you recommend?

We play mainly classic rock with a lot of the usual suspects in our set, and the venues are normally pubs and small clubs.

Thanks in advance. :)

Depends on what the overall sound is you are looking for. I played in a very heavy one guitar band and would try and fill out the 'rhythm guitar' role as well during the leads solos as it felt empty otherwise, yet other one guitar bands ive played in had a lighter feel so I was able to just be a bassist IYKWIM

[size=4]I play in a one-guitar pub rock covers band and have played in two guitar ones. My advice is:[/size]
[size=4]1- You should be at the same volume as the guitar (not for guitar solos, though)[/size]
[size=4]2- Pedals are strictly optional so don't worry on that front. [/size][size=4]Set your amp so that your sound is very slightly overdriven. This will give it a fuller sound. For an example, listen to A Kind of Magic by Queen here: [/size][size=4] [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2ZDSCftAI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Dc2ZDSCftAI[/url][/size]
3- If you don't want to do this, get an overdrive or fuzz pedal and set it to high OD/fuzz with a low effect level and turn it on for solos to beef up your sound.
[size=4]4- If you haven't already, learn the bass lines note for note. A lot of one-band bass lines are surprisingly full and complex: make the most of this opportunity to show off your skills.[/size]

Edited by colgraff

Presumably your repertoire has been put together with your current formation in mind, in which case, just do as the music dictates. There's no law or rule about it, anyway. Music doesn't have to be 'full on' all of the time; if the guitar launches into a solo, it might be preferable to 'back off', even, and let him shine..? It all depends, really, and it's [i]you [/i]that has to make it work in [i]your [/i]band. Not much help, I'm afraid, but there's no recipe that I know of.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1448993023' post='2919904']
I play in a one-guitar pub rock covers band and have played in two guitar ones. My advice is:
1- You should be at the same volume as the guitar (not for guitar solos, though)
2- Pedals are strictly optional so don't worry on that front. Set your amp so that your sound is very slightly overdriven. This will give it a fuller sound. For an example, listen to A Kind of Magic by Queen here: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2ZDSCftAI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Dc2ZDSCftAI[/url]
3- If you don't want to do this, get an overdrive or fuzz pedal and set it to high OD/fuzz with a low effect level and turn it on for solos to beef up your sound.
4- If you haven't already, learn the bass lines note for note. A lot of one-band bass lines are surprisingly full and complex: make the most of this opportunity to show off your skills.
[/quote]I tend to play most bass lines note for note, I know a lot of people frown upon doing this, but because we play rock covers, the venues we play are normally full of punters who expect the songs to sound as close to the originals as possible.

Good advice from colgraff. I too play in a 1 guitar rock covers band. I use an octaver if the original song needs it and for the occasional flurry to the dusty end for some variety. I also have a chorus pedal that comes on for a few songs. You don't need to go too mad with pedals. Get a good level and a sound that can cut through and fill the space. Make sure you and the drummer are super tight.

Have fun. I have always enjoyed a 1 guitar band and i'm sure you will too.

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Ive played in both but currently in a 3 piece with just one guitar. I love how tight we sound and how much space i seem to have in the frequency range. I dont use pedals but do play the proper bass lines rather than root notes.
Mistakes do stick out more though so learn you stuff!!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1449000140' post='2920003']
Good advice from colgraff. I too play in a 1 guitar rock covers band. I use an octaver if the original song needs it and for the occasional flurry to the dusty end for some variety. I also have a chorus pedal that comes on for a few songs. You don't need to go too mad with pedals. Get a good level and a sound that can cut through and fill the space. Make sure you and the drummer are super tight.

Have fun. I have always enjoyed a 1 guitar band and i'm sure you will too.
[/quote]I'm looking forward to the challenge to be honest.

Listen to everything Jack Bruce ever did.

Copy him (to start with) until you find your own way.

Also listen to the greatest composer of bass / counter melody ever, JS Bach.

Start simple. Put octaves in with the kick drum and snare. Add small fills or runs to the next note. Being a little busier can then make returning to just the root or playing the same part as the guitar have more of an impact.

If you currently scoop your tone, add some more mids.

I love playing in 1 guitar bands. It gives so much freedom and releases the bass from the root notes.

I've played in a trio for years. I've never really found it a problem at all, in fact it's quite liberating. I mostly play standard bass lines, but every now and then we might have to rearrange slightly to get some key riffs in e.g. on Witch Queen of New Orleans by Redbone I play the rhythm guitar riff as the guitarist sings that one making it difficult for him to get the timing rock steady.

As regards sonic space, I have no constraints and can play with pretty much any eq I like. The key thing is the standard bass role of locking in with the drummer, even if he goes off on one as well. You are the main anchor.

I saw a friend's covers band a few times. They had two guitarists and sounded pretty good. Then they got rid of one of the guitarists and you could hear the bass much more clearly and it just naturally filled the gap without the bass player doing anything different. They sounded much much better with just the one guitar and bass.

As Mrtcat said, enjoy you space you have now :)

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1449001903' post='2920023']
Enjoy the breathing space and the fact you can have a fuller bass sound that doesn't clash with a rhythm player.
[/quote]

This! My two bands have two and three guitarists respectively. I found I had to take a 'musical director'/dictator role and get all three to play less with more differentiation just to stop treading on each other let alone give me room to tie in with the drummer.

Enjoy the space and develop your style!

Slightly overdriven sound will help a fair bit, as will digging in when the guitar is soloing to pad it out even more, especially if using some form of compression as a limiter - make it bigger but not louder so to speak. I`d also go for not too warm/bassy a sound - I find that it leaves too much seperation from the two instruments, almost creating a big hole which wasn`t needed.

But re guitar solos, your drummer also has a big part to play here - simply changing one cymbal type to another can either lift the song, or make it fall flat on its backside. Experiment with these at rehearsals and see how it changes the dynamics.

In the last few years , when one of our guitarists couldn't make a gig , we've had to re-jig the set around a bit .

As the others have said - you'll have a bit more space to fill it out , and this can be like being suddenly 'untied up' .

But if I'm honest , the best thing about those few gigs , was that I finally had a bit of physical room on stage , and didn't have to constantly turn to the side , whilst he carried out continual amp fiddling (normally to turn up!)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1448993406' post='2919912']
I tend to play most bass lines note for note, I know a lot of people frown upon doing this, but because we play rock covers, the venues we play are normally full of punters who expect the songs to sound as close to the originals as possible.
[/quote]
Basically, this. I did also use some chords and octave double stops during solos, otherwise kept close to the original. Ish...
:)

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1449011499' post='2920149']
Its all I have done for years now - Strange, but usually with lefty guitar players - much more fun than hiding behind or trying to play around a second guitar.

When you think of it most of the great Bass lines are from single guitar lineups.
[/quote]The remaining guitarist is a lefty, so yep, I guess i'm gonna have a lot more space now in more ways than one!

If all else fails then a 12 string bass is the answer.

Seriously though, I bought one to try it out with the rock band I was in at the time which had only one guitarist and ended up using it for the entire gig.

The more bands you play in, the more you learn to adapt. Going from one guitar & keyboard to one guitar to 2 guitars and so on present their own challenges but it's up to all of you to provide the solution to make the band sound it's best.

Incidentally the guitarist in the rock band is the best guitarist I've ever played with and I'm fortunate enough that he is the gutiarist in my wedding band now

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1449012386' post='2920160']
The remaining guitarist is a lefty, so yep, I guess i'm gonna have a lot more space now in more ways than one!
[/quote]

All you need now is a headless bass and you'll have acres of room.

I've got a chorus permanently on and an SVT amp sim (both in a Zoom MS-60B). Occasionally use octave down, also occasionally use octave up (all through "I love rock and roll" and for the brass bit in "Get it on", for example). Just experiment, and record yourselves so you can assess what changes you need to make, if any.