Why become a member? ×

December Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[b][color=#800000][size=5]December's Composition Challenge is now underway[/size][/color][/b]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration…[/size]

[size=5]Here are the rules ’n’ stuff…[/size]

By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions, just ask!

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Wednesday 23rd December[/b][/size][/color]

[size=3](8 days for voting this month ‘cos of Christmas. Don’t blame me. Blame Santa [/size] :santa: [size=3])[/size]

Edited by Skol303

Final one of the year! A huge thanks to everyone who's taken part, voted, Tweeted, etc, throughout 2015. I love you all, deeply :gas:

I didn't expect to win last month so was a tad flummoxed by the choice of image. It's been such a tumultuous year; it didn't seem appropriate to end on something too flippant or jovial (despite the festive season), so I opted for something a bit more contemplative - a reminder that we're all just sat on a big rock hurtling through space, despite our differences.

Ok. Now get to it! Chop, chop.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1448969428' post='2919623']
...a reminder that we're all just sat on a big rock hurtling through space...
[/quote]

Actually it's more like an infinitesimal speck of dust, but I take your point. ;)
Great pic. I may actually have a go at this.

Oh no..! A blinkin' metaphysical one..! [i]Sigh[/i]... Oh, well, here we go... Firstly, though, which Inspiration Costume to pull out of the wardrobe this time..? Mahler..? Hmm... Holst..? Too evident... The Floyd..? Maybe... Big Bang..? Nah... Decisions, decisions... :unsure:

Antway, this 'ere breakdance disco new age glitch trance rave stuff isn't as easy as one might think. How do you know when it's over, for instance..? Do I, as DJ, still have to keep taking the purple pills..? How do I recreat, audibly, the stroboscope and gyrophares..? [i]Must [/i]I wear this ridiculous space helmet..? It's hot in here. :(

Well, I think I've finally mastered this 'disco' stuff, with a Big Beat an' all, so here's my offering to get your toes tapping and snapping your fingers. Not.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/new-dawn-new-hope-aurora"]New Dawn, New Hope; Aurora ...[/url]

My December entry called [b]"2 minutes to Apocalypse aka Drink up, the time is up!"[/b]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/2-minutes-to-apocalypse-aka-drink-up-the-time-is-up-final-version"]https://soundcloud.c...p-final-version[/url]

Long story short; humans destroyed life on Earth with ignorance and greed. There is only 2 minutes left to total apocalypse on Earth and the old bartender is saying "Drink up, the time is up"! Shocked lifeless faces stare at him not fully understanding whats about to happen ...

EDIT; This is my final version for this competition!

Edited by Che

Slow down guys. Two awesome entities so far. It's enough to turn anybody off even trying to top those. Alas we must endeavour. Got my core track down today. I'm gonna try and be stripped back and minimalistic as is possible on this one. Got a day or so next week so I will pick things up then. Good luck to all.

[size=4][quote name='the boy' timestamp='1449065546' post='2920494']Slow down guys.[/quote][/size]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]That is actually quite slow for those two. They run on ‘hummingbird time’, or some such ;)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’ve got a week’s leave before Christmas during which I hope to get mine down. I’ll probably try my hand at the old piano we acquired this year, which has been woefully under-used and is now probably in need of tuning. That’ll be my excuse when it sounds cack, anyway.[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1449065546' post='2920494']
Slow down guys.
[/quote]

:D To be honest its easy to make such short tunes as mine are. I also do only one take for each instrument and then fix them up with FX and such, hiding the imperfections (lazy as I am). What Dad is doing is more complex indeed

Have fun ya all, we are already all lucky to be able to play and make music, considering how many out there on this planet are being without food let alone without instruments.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1448981842' post='2919776']Might crack out the new keyboard for this one, I'm playing it all the time anyway :)[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1449076997' post='2920609']i wrote songs before for space based photo's... maybe this one will make me pick up my bass again[/quote]

About time too, you pair of slackers! :D

It'd be great to hear something from you guys again. It's been too long...