Why become a member? ×

pedalboards, are they worth it?

GM10

For me, for the gig I do (function wedding R&B soul funk band thing), it's absolutely essential.

My Swan Flight board has a lot of stuff on but I've spent a lot of time tweaking and experimenting to get the right blend of things. The most important is the EBS Microbass preamp which, over the past few months has replaced the amp. With IEMs, I no longer go out with an amp, it's straight into the desk from this.

The rest of the stuff is for "texture". Envelope filters, octaver, a Microsynth and the Line 6 M9 does all the modulation and different EQs I need. Saves me arsing about with the onboard EQ. I've also got a TC Electronic Mic Mechanic and the Yamaha wireless receiver.

Your pedals, like your basses, like your amp, like your anything else, is dictated by the gig. My gig involves me covering a whole lot of different styles.

The Swan Flight case is brilliant. I've got the power run via a long power lead and taped together with the send and return leads from the preamp. At the end of the gig, I just unplug at amp/power end, wind it all up on top of the pedals and drop the top of the case on. Job done and I'm getting out of Dodge quicker.

Edited by tonyf

I don't use any bass effects at all so a board isn't something I use. Hell, even when I played guitar in bands all of my gear was rack-mounted and midi switched...just so much easier as one foot switch changed EQ, gain, levels, amp channel and all my effects associated with that patch. I never understand guitarists (and bass players) who want to tap dance all night!

Edited by DaytonaRik

I actually run 2 boards together. The large board holds all the 'effects' while the smaller board is where I get my 'core tone' as this runs straight into a power amp so is effectively my main preamp. For me the smaller board is pretty essential obviously but truthfully I could make do without the larger board if I had to. For me though the enhancement that the effects offer do make it worth while and some of the songs that we play like Ace of Spades or Uprising by Muse just don't sound right to me with a clean unaffected bass sound. If we're playing a song that doesn't need effects though, then I simply don't use any on that one.

Mine's giving me OCD... :D Because i play in lots of styles i need different sounds for different songs. I think in retrospect i'd have bought a zoom b3, and in an ideal world i'd use my elderly Zoom 505 for everything, but it doesn't have the same 'whumpf' as a bunch of analogue boxes. We're working a parody of the flash gordon theme and while the zoom sounds make acceptable noises, the old style board through my 30 watt amp makes stuff fall over and my kitchen cupboards rattle... :D

Just a Zoom B3 for me, never really tried individual pedals so I probably don't know what I'm missing out on, but the B3 does what I need more than adequately. Actually I only have about 3 settings I use on a regular basis, my attempts at genuine tone for songs like Paranoid or Sharp Dressed Man usually results in a chorus of catcalls from the rest of the band..........b4st4rds. :angry:

I never used to but now I've got one loaded up and I drag it along every time I play, mine has 3 different distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedals, an octaver, bassballs, and compressor, I could probably slim it down a fair amount (the octaver is only used if I have to use a 4 string rather than my 5 so will probably be sold when I get a decent 5 string as a live backup) but the minimum would still have the tuner, a/b, wireless and some kind of overdrive with DI, and the bassballs (for one song during the chorus)

If I was in a different band then the pedals would be different but the core units would always be the same.

if I'm using pedals then they're on a board of some kind to make setup and packing away easier.

It's all down to what sounds you need.
Matt

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1448870834' post='2918639']
I don't use any bass effects at all so a board isn't something I use. Hell, even when I played guitar in bands all of my gear was rack-mounted and midi switched...just so much easier as one foot switch changed EQ, gain, levels, amp channel and all my effects associated with that patch. I never understand guitarists (and bass players) who want to tap dance all night!
[/quote]

Very much this as regards effects. I ditched all my non-programmable effects in 1990 replacing them with two or three rack-mounted programmable and MIDI controllable devices in both my guitar and bass rigs and I haven't looked back. I think the frustrations of many years in the 80s of playing non-programmable synths had a lot to do with it.

[quote name='GM10' timestamp='1448802601' post='2918217']
Are there many of you guys out there who don't use any pedalboard effects at all?
[/quote]

[size=4][font=Arial]Effects;[/font]

[font=Arial]I think it's personal preference along with what are you doing;[/font][/size][list=1]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Playing at home[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Hobby Band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Gigging Band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Show, Corporate Functions Band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Pub/Bar band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Genre[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=Arial]I employ a full pedal board. I'm actually pretty [i]"old school"[/i] as in when I started gigging in the mid 60's there wasn't much if anything for bass available. I started using pedals and learning how to use them for live gigs about 10 years ago.[/font]

[font=Arial]Keep in mind when your listening to your favorite bands recordings there is always some sort of effect or processing used.[/font]

[font=Arial]For me, at all gigs, compression is on all night. I also use my MXR Bass Octave a lot. We are a New York 70s style rock and blues band with a lot of guitar solos. I wanted to give a rich thick foundation to support these solos and the Bass Octave does just that. I play mostly in upper closed string positions.[/font]

[font=Arial]I also have a little Chorus and Overdrive running subtly in the background for the sustain. [/font]

[font=Arial]My use of pedals gives our band a much fully and professional sound.[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

Personally I don't find I've ever needed one in the 30 years I've been playing bass.

The range of fingerstyle, pick or slapping gives me plenty of sounds, plus my tone control, and seriously that is all I've used for 99 percent of gigs over the years.

If you're a guitarist then yes, you need to be able to switch between a couple of different sounds, have a lead boost etc, but not for bass unless you really need multiple sounds.

Fx boards can be good fun tho!

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1448922186' post='2919298']
Personally I don't find I've ever needed one in the 30 years I've been playing bass.

The range of fingerstyle, pick or slapping gives me plenty of sounds, plus my tone control, and seriously that is all I've used for 99 percent of gigs over the years.

If you're a guitarist then yes, you need to be able to switch between a couple of different sounds, have a lead boost etc, but not for bass unless you really need multiple sounds.

Fx boards can be good fun tho!
[/quote]

I probably didn't use effects for close to 40 years. I see plenty of guys that sound and play great without pedals.

I also think it takes a while to fully understand how and when to use effects. My opinion managing a pedal board for bass players is more of a challenge than it is for guitar players.

Blue

I went for years in various Rock & Metal bands with no effects.
Joined an Acoustica band & started building up a board which ended up pretty complex, but gave me a great synth sound which also worked in the Electronica band I later joined.
Now I'm in a blues rock band with no effects.
It really depends on the genre. Dubstep, Electronica & Acoustica definitely benefit from a good board.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1448934572' post='2919436']
I probably didn't use effects for close to 40 years. I see plenty of guys that sound and play great without pedals.

I also think it takes a while to fully understand how and when to use effects. My opinion managing a pedal board for bass players is more of a challenge than it is for guitar players.

Blue
[/quote]

I think you're right Blue.

With guitar its pretty obvious what sort of thing is needed, and how to use them. But for bass I imagine its a bit more open ended and room to be creative.

I'm not against pedals at all - I just dont find I really need them with the music i play (rock, blues, pop covers). But i can't imagine something like Muse without some serious effects going on!

I use a pedaltrain mini. Aside from a tuner I have compression, overdrive, octaver and eq.I use them sparingly but the board keeps the setup quick and simple. Are they worth it. No - they are far too expensive considering what they actually are - I was just too lazy to make my own..

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1449065920' post='2920502']
I just like it when people stare at my pedalboard and say things like "but do you use them all?"
[/quote]

Conversely my guitar rig which consists of a amp and just two devices (a 1U rack and a double width pedal) allows me to run up to 16 different effects simultaneously if I wanted.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1449072222' post='2920558']
Conversely my guitar rig which consists of a amp and just two devices (a 1U rack and a double width pedal) allows me to run up to 16 different effects simultaneously if I wanted.
[/quote]

That all sounds a bit sensible and orderly for my tastes

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1449063481' post='2920456']
I use a pedaltrain mini. Aside from a tuner I have compression, overdrive, octaver and eq.I use them sparingly but the board keeps the setup quick and simple. Are they worth it. No - they are far too expensive considering what they actually are - I was just too lazy to make my own..
[/quote]

While I support the use of pedals,I still say be careful. Pay close attention to your chain path and what has true by pass what doesn't.

Also don't expect the pedal to work the same way as the YouTube demo in your environment.

Price, good compression can be pricy. All other pedals can be had for around $69.00 if you shop around. Boutique stuff, maybe they are better. I don't own any boutique pedals so I'm not sure if they are of superior value.

Blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1449073348' post='2920574']
That all sounds a bit sensible and orderly for my tastes

[/quote]
I can see your problem... You've run out of 1/4" sockets.
Get some Moog & Koma pedals, they have CV so you can run 4x as many cables from each pedal. :D

So is it the band you are in that drives a need for pedals, or do you introduce pedals to the band. I can sort of understand if you are an originals band, where you can do what you want as you build a song, or in a covers band where a certain sound or effect is used on the original, but where do they fit in if you are playing old syle tunes... Soul, Motown, Blues and a lot of early funk stuff. If you were auditioning for a new band advertising 'good bass player needed, must cover all styes,' what would you turn up with.... A bass and your rig, or bass, rig and bucket full of pedals...