Why become a member? ×

pedalboards, are they worth it?

GM10

Yep, if I`m using my own amp - Aguilar Tonehammer 500 - it`s bass, lead, amp for me. I have an Aguilar Tonehammer DI/Preamp but that`s only for when I`m using a provided rig so I can still get my sound, as many amps don`t have drive on them.

Once used a chorus pedal for a couple of songs, but other than that never use 'em.
Got a graphic eq which comes in handy if I have to use someone else's amp though, saves
messing up their settings. Same as Lozz above really.
Am always a bit confused when people buy an expensive amp head and then use an expensive
pedal in front of it as well in order to get their sound - seems a bit OTT to me. I just
buy an amp I like the sound of with nothing added, in my case GK stuff.

I use a pedalboard, together with a rackmount multi FX and rack compressor.
On the multiFX I have preset eqs so I can jump from clean to rock snarl to funk toppy sound to deep reggae tone accurately.
Then the pedalboard is used for wah-ed Bootsy sounds with or without distortion (3 x envelope followers!), and the large pedal multi RX is mainly used for volume swells or manual wah.
I think I just like twiddling with knobs...

My board is very simple: just a tuner (Korg Pitchblack), overdrive (Ibanez PhatHed) which is on at a low drive setting on 90% of the time in our set, and a Big Muff Deluxe which I use on a couple of songs. It's all mounted on a Pedaltrain Metro 16 and that's all I need.

I was considering getting a pedal board - I just use a tuner & pre-amp pedal (looper at home for writing but not much use live yet) but I just leave them on top of my amp at the moment. I don't really need any more fx at the moment but if I start using me I'll move them on to board.

Really depends. I could quite easily go without FX as I played for years just going in to an amp with nothing else. I gig once or twice a month nowadays and it's useful to have a volume pedal, clean boost, tuner and compressor. I use octave, chorus, envelope filter and mild overdrive for a handful of songs, but I doubt anyone notices apart from me and the band. Mainly it's just a good laugh, albeit expensive, building up a pedal board, it's like lego for bassists. The smart money is on a small multi fx like the zoom b3 if you're not a heavy user, much more user friendly than some of the multifx beasts of old and good sounds if not quite up there with separates.

Edited by mingsta

I play in probably 10 different bands, wedding, jazz fusion, soul, disco, ceilidh, theatre, etc etc. I could do all of those gigs without a single pedal if I had to (I use a clip on tuner to save space and for acoustic instruments) but pedals add an extra dimension to the music, like a bit of crunch when I use a pick or an octave pedal to add some beef. I only have an octave, overdrive and an envelope filter on my pedal board but IMO that's all that is necessary for bass guitar. My feeling is that the bass needs to keep the foundation solid for keys, horns, guitar, voice, etc to go wild on top, whether that be meldoically, harmonically or timbre-ally (??).