Why become a member? ×

Thinking of swapping my OBT500 & OBC410 but for what??

highwayone

Hi Karl, hope all`s well? Re amp set-up, have you tried the OBT into a different cab for example - it could be that the voicing of the cab is what`s giving that brightness. From my very limited use of Orange cabs they do seem voiced in a particular "cutting through" area.

That said when I had an OBT it didn`t have enough solid lows for me, though it wasn`t bright - more middy than anything. I couldn`t get either the top or bottom end I wanted from it.

My current fave is the Aggie Tonehammer, can do the gain/drive thing that the OBT does, but a lot more flexible on the eq, so can do the real deep/warm bass as well. I describe them as a more modern sounding Ampeg.

Turn off the tweeter in the cab if you haven't already?

I have an obt500 as a backup head and it sounds real full and fat with loads of bottom end through my obc115 and the ibc410 I used at one show...

What bass you using? Strings? EQ settings?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1448797068' post='2918159']
Turn off the tweeter in the cab if you haven't already?

I have an obt500 as a backup head and it sounds real full and fat with loads of bottom end through my obc115 and the ibc410 I used at one show...

What bass you using? Strings? EQ settings?
[/quote]

My try it with the tweeter off, forgot you could do that. Read about it before I had one.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1448812151' post='2918311']
never had any trouble getting big low end out of my obt1000 and obc410, def turn the tweeter of but what eq have you got going on?

have you got active elecs going in pushing the treble or mids?

andy
[/quote]

No active elecs, just a fender precision straight in.

You could try recording your bass into a computer or mixer or some other device directly from the heads di/line out, not using the cab at all. If you play it back through a half decent stereo or PA it should give you a fair idea of what your amp sounds like while taking the cab out of the equation.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1448898147' post='2918968']
How are you eq'ing the OBT500? A flat setting on this amp is treble and bass fully anti clockwise and mids fully clockwise. I'm just wondering if you're running the treble at 12 noon thinking that it's neither cutting or boosting whereas on this amp the 12 noon position is boosting treble
[/quote]

That's what I have been doing, having the treble at noon. Didn't realise the flat settings areas you said. Cheers for that

Hope it helps :)

Happy Jack is right too though, the eq isn't as wide ranging as some (most?) amps, but I also think it's a cab dependent. My Tech Soundsystems 4x12 has no problem delivering a ton of extra bass from my OBT500 much to my guitarists innards disapproval lol. But I also have the tweeter off and naturally the amps treble then doesn't do too much. But many other obt users do say the eq doesn't do too much which makes me think it depends on the characteristics of what it's paired with to some degree.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1449000241' post='2920007']
I had a Streamliner and thought the low end was severely anaemic when compared to the heft of the Orange.
[/quote]

My feelings too. Tried a mate's Streamliner 600 a few years ago A/B fashion with my Terror 500 and the Terror ate it for breakfast - same cab, same room, same bass, etc.

Something to do with the power management that's designed to emulate power tube compression I reckon. It also has a Thumpinator-style high-pass filter built in which filters out the lowest of the lows. I turned it up pretty loud, thumped the low E and didn't feel that thump come back at me like I do with the Orange, like it was being held back. That was the 600 too, I expect the 900 to have a bit more welly behind it though!