Why become a member? ×

New board hibby jibbies..

nuno1959

Hi guys

After playing with a TC Electronics Nova System for sometime now & having bought an Eventide Pitch & a Timefactor to add to it, the quantity of power supplies, cables, patch chords, etc.. made me decide it was time & now i'm building my pedal board..

After checking what's available i decided building it myself to my exact needs, goals being compact/light weight & w/ features as independent ''quickly detachable'' cable routing systems for the purpose made exact length audio/MIDI & power supply cables ( in case something fails/needs replacing/re-routing on the fly because of pedal fail etc !?.. ) ''sacrificial'' fused power panel mounted socket integral to the board ( cheapest to replace if one trips on chord or so.. instead of repair expensive power supply ?.. )

As i'm getting to the point of making the cables to connect the pedals, i want to make sure i'd get the right chain order for the best possible results & the fx chain i'm thinking of is :

Boss plastic volume pedal ( less weight, compact.. ) -> Eventide Pitchfactor ( pitch shifters, octaves, ''wah'', harmoniser AND tuner, 1 less thing to carry.. ) -> TC Nova System ( compressor, overdrive/distortion, some chorus.. ) -> Eventide Timefactor ( delays & ''chorusy'' tones.. ) -> all controlled by a Tech21 MIDI Mouse to change presets on all three simultaneously

I know i could have done without the MIDI Mouse but both the Eventide & the TC have quirky switching ways to change patches/presets + you need the external switches… nope.. not my cup of tea. In the immediate future i might be adding a tap tempo switch ? Don't know yet if necessary..

Does this sound about right ? I know there are many ways of connecting things around & one can do pretty much whatever but my reasoning is that pitch shifters/octaves/wah will benefit from the cleanest signal, then compression to smoothen things some, then overdrive/distortion & finally choruses & delays

Thanks for your assistance & sorry for my long post ! ;-)

Cheers

Nuno

I would say that your suggested signal route is the most sensible start point, but it is important to try everything in every order. You may mind you unlock interesting sounds that work better for you if you reverse the Pitchfactor and Nova. It's important to go with what sounds best for you, and not everyone else.

Hi Panther

& thanks for your input, much appreciated !

I understand what you're saying & i intend to try things before committing to final cable lengths, etc… I just wanted to make sure i had it more or less ''sorted out'' mainly because doing the thing myself is a LOT of FUN but it's also a lot of work so better get it ''right-ish'' at first ;-)

As a ''reward'' for chipping in ( or a punishment ?…LOL.. ) here's a couple links to some of the noises i make with them boxes….

[url="http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-51578.php"]http://www.wikiloops...k-jam-51578.php[/url]

[url="http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-49035.php"]http://www.wikiloops...k-jam-49035.php[/url]

Do disregard my crappy recording skills…….. but do check out this website, it totally rocks !! Everybody posts their stuff, then anyone can download it (legally.. ) & add to that their part on their instrument & re-upload it - this sometimes makes for very interesting results

Cheers

Edited by nuno1959