Why become a member? ×

rack tuners

slemm

Hi there just recentley I bought a Behringer rack mountable tuner, from Thomann's for £40 if I remember rightly. Well it does everything it's supposed to. It even has lights under neath which show your rig up on the darkest of stages. For the money you can't go wrong.

[quote name='slemm' post='1888' date='May 19 2007, 12:16 AM']Hi there just recentley I bought a Behringer rack mountable tuner, from Thomann's for £40 if I remember rightly. Well it does everything it's supposed to. It even has lights under neath which show your rig up on the darkest of stages. For the money you can't go wrong.[/quote]

How does it cope with a low B?

Can you post a follow up after it's been thrown in the back of cars and vans, after a couple of months of gigging?

cheers!
McD

Couple of months since I purchased said tuner, and pleased to say still working fine. Wouldn't know about 5 string tuning as i can only cope with 4. It's been dropped a coulpe of times from the top of my rig and still all the lights and things work. Hope this was useful for anyone. Low B phahhh

I use a korg - but was impressed with the facilities of the behringer. I think it's a good Q re. it's longer term reliability and would be interested in follow up.

I never considered the Behringer cheap - more like the former alternatives too expensive. If the Behringer does good long term business I'll have one , be glad of the rack light , and flog the korg for more than I'll pay for the new behringer.

I'm sure I've replied on this topic in other forums...............Dr D you are right, it's a great piece of kit ( did you know it has a built in metronome too ) for the dosh, but it WONT handle low B on either my StringRay 5 or G&L L-2500. I certainly wouldn't sell a korg tuner to get one of these if you ever want to tune a fiver down to low B.

I contacted Behringer in Germany and the guy said - and I do paraphrase a very little - "What do you expect for £40". I had to laff, but seriously when even the cheapest "pocket" style tuner will handle low B, why won't the rack version models ??

The lights DO look great on my Mesa/Boogie 400 +though.

S

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Korg DTR-1 which I got for about £60 second hand from the States and it's almost too good. I can never get my basses to go completely in the green, even when tuning with the harmonics. When I get them as close as possible and check the tuning by ear they sound perfectly in, and the tuner is telling me they're still out. It's that precise!

I just got a Korg DTR 2000 last week and I'm very pleased with it.

[url="http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr2000/tu_dtr2000.asp"]http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr2000/tu_dtr2000.asp[/url]

It has a 6 string bass mode although I haven't tried a low B yet.

Yes it was exspensive, but I read some reviews on the Behringers which said they were too slow.

The Korg is so fast and has a built in mic which is great for double bass practice.

Edited by Mr Bassman

I bought the Behringer and wasn't impressed. It was very slow (about 1 or 2 seconds to display the note/tuning) and wouldn't tune a low B. I've since purchased a Korg DTR 1000, what a difference; fast, almost too accurate (as Dan mentions with the DTR-1) happy with a low B and looks the dogs danglies :)
I also flogged the Behringer to our guitarist for the same price I payed :ph34r:

Pete.

I have a DTR 1000 (ltd)
One of the best pieces of kit I've owned. Fast, accurate, easily visible. and for £10 less than the std. I got blue and white LEDs :)

Best Bass?
Best Amp?

Not worth a thing if it's out of tune or your intonation's way off.
I use mine extensively to tune/adjust/set-up my basses. It also highlights tuning instability and fretting issues in a given instrument

The rest of the band use it too, as it's better than theirs.

Expensive? Yes. Good? Surely.

• 4 months later...

I've been using one of the Fender rack ones for the last year and am very impressed. Tunes very quickly and have used it with 4, 5, 6 & 8 string basses with no problems. Its also cool as the leds do a Knight Rider sweep from left to right when you are not playing and a big blue Fender 'F' lights up when you are in tune.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the behringer and found it so bad with both B and E strings I sent it back and shelled out the extra for a korg dtr2000. The only thing 'better' about the behringer was it having 3 lights instead of the korgs 1. As it happens, I have an Eden navigator that lights up like christmas so I never use the tuner racklight anyway.

• 1 month later...

My [i]Peterson Stroborack [/i]arrived a couple of weeks ago. Well what can I say. It's fast, accurate and does a whole load of "[i]sweeteners[/i]" and the like, which are a bit beyond my needs, and is much more accurate yet stable/usable. It also has a neat programmable scrolling message function, which has no reason to exist on a tuner, other than it's a cool effect. It's *the* most fantastic piece of kit, but [u]very[/u] expensive, so unless you have money to burn, I'd stick with my previous rack tuner, the Korg dtr2000 which I keep in my studio rack now.

Overview:
Looks: 9/10
Build Quality: 9/10
Ease of use: 10/10 (basic use) 5/10 (extended use)
Price/Value for money: 5/10 (so expensive and just does the same job as a *much* cheaper unit)
Overall: 7/10 (low [b]only[/b] because of price)

Andy

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='107863' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:06 PM']My [i]Peterson Stroborack [/i]arrived a couple of weeks ago. Well what can I say. It's fast, accurate and does a whole load of "[i]sweeteners[/i]" and the like, which are a bit beyond my needs, and is much more accurate yet stable/usable. It also has a neat programmable scrolling message function, which has no reason to exist on a tuner, other than it's a cool effect. It's *the* most fantastic piece of kit, but [u]very[/u] expensive, so unless you have money to burn, I'd stick with my previous rack tuner, the Korg dtr2000 which I keep in my studio rack now.

Overview:
Looks: 9/10
Build Quality: 9/10
Ease of use: 10/10 (basic use) 5/10 (extended use)
Price/Value for money: 5/10 (so expensive and just does the same job as a *much* cheaper unit)
Overall: 7/10 (low [b]only[/b] because of price)

Andy[/quote]

Some of you guys may have remembered that I ordered a Stroborack back in September last year. Well, it's still not here.

I have however, had a slip through my door saying that I have a parcel that was attempted to be delivered and it would be held at the depot. Not knowing what it was, I entered the tracing figure and saw that the parcel had originated from the distributor I had bought the Peterson Stroborack off. I had no idea when the Peterson tuner was being shipped (I don't know if you guys know, the demand in the states is such that it's way outstripping the supply and as for Europe getting a look in.... anyway....) and so this was a nice surprise.

I got up uber early this morning to get to the depot before work and when I got there you can guess what had happened. Yup. Despite the card saying that it would be available at the depot, it has been reloaded onto the trucks and out it went. I apparently missed it by 5 minutes. Typical.

So it's somewhere out on the road. I seen they have already had a failed delivery at my house. I'm only hoping that it gets back to the depot pretty soon so I can pick it up before the collection points close tonight. I need my new toy!

It's interesting to read GremlinAndy's review above. Give the fact that I paid roughly the same as what a DTR2000 would cost me, I wonder if his overall review figure would change...

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='14071' date='Jun 8 2007, 10:02 AM']I use a Korg DTR-1 which I got for about £60 second hand from the States and it's almost too good. I can never get my basses to go completely in the green, even when tuning with the harmonics. When I get them as close as possible and check the tuning by ear they sound perfectly in, and the tuner is telling me they're still out. It's that precise![/quote]

+1, mines the same, it drives you nuts !