Why become a member? ×

rack tuners

slemm

[quote name='The Burpster' post='120358' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:33 PM']Thomann can do it for £160 sent... (stomp 2)

If you can do one for less than £150 I'm in......

:)[/quote]

Hi Burpster

That'a ten four buddy! It will be under £150 for a StroboStomp 2 including UK mainland delivery (Royal Mail special Delivery Next Day).

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='BigRedX' post='121087' date='Jan 15 2008, 07:58 PM']120V only according to the web site blurb. So you'll need a step down transformer for use here in the UK.[/quote]

I was going to write that - but then look in the pdf specs. There appears to be support for 240v also.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='113552' date='Jan 4 2008, 02:36 PM']It's interesting to read GremlinAndy's review above. Give the fact that I paid roughly the same as what a DTR2000 would cost me, I wonder if his overall review figure would change...[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed response guys.

I think it's a much better unit than the Korg but I didn't realise the prices were so close. (??? someone above says they're close right? though I can't find evidence of that myself) I bought mine from Thomman, and I know I paid a LOT more for it than the korg.

When I gave it a low mark for price I was also including the comparison with the real *budget* tuners you can get. I mean many bits of kit come with them built in for *free* now. (Like the Tascam CD bass trainer and the MP3 bass trainer too. And the Pod Pro...) That takes my tuner count to 5 including the Peterson.
So it is with that in mind that I'll maintain my comment that they are an expensive piece of gear, and very few people need one of these, when a £15 clip on one will (kinda) do the job.
Besides... what is the value of reviews where everything gets a 10/10 score. People need to know what the down side of kit is. And on this, it's the price and only the price.

EDIT:
Here we go...
Thomman Prices:

PETERSON STROBORACK VIRTUAL STROBE RACK [b]286.83[/b]GBP

KORG DTR-2000 BL [b]178.06[/b]GBP

HARLEY BENTON GT6/200 [b]3.55[/b]GBP

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='121533' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:56 PM']I was going to write that - but then look in the pdf specs. There appears to be support for 240v also.[/quote]

Ive currently got an SWR RU-N2N on it's way from the US. According to the marketing guy from SWR, the 240V version will not be coming out for anything up to a year!! The tuner is basically a re-packaged version of the Fender tuner that they bundled with the Fender heads a while back. The blue lights are way cooler and a decent voltage converter is only about £30.

My tuner is $250 with the shipping

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='133986' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:19 PM']Ouch. You got ripped.[/quote]

So it would seem. I gather that I can get them £50 cheaper now that they're more readily available.

I guess that *might* have affected my review, but when you consider that a functioning alternative can be bought for less than £5... Nah I'll leave the quote about price as it is.

(Availability at the time I bought mine was very low so even if I'd known they were going to rip me for £50 I might still have gone for it)

I'm reminded of a *joke/proverb/whatever* from my childhood.
...A woman goes into a greengrocers and asks for half a dozen bananas. The greengrocer says "that'll be £1". The woman is outraged. "[i]a pound?!!![/i] at the greengrocers across the road they're only 70p!". "Why don't you buy your bananas there then?" asks the greengrocer. "Because they don't have any" she says, slightly annoyed... To which he replies "Well, when [b]I[/b] don't have any in, mine are ony 50p!"

...and that's the thing about prices.

Andy

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, but wondered if anyone could give me some advice/info...

I have a couple of week tour coming up soon and am trying to throw together a decent rig on a (real) tight budget!

I have managed to grab a Warwick Profet 5.1 for 199 ex-demo. Going for a Warwick 611 and was looking at chucking a Behringer rack tuner in for good measure (my current tuner isn't brilliant).

I play an Ibanex SRX505 5 string mainly, so need the 5th string tuning ability. What I wanted to know about the Behringer tuner is that a lot of people have said they have problems with lag/delay tuning the low B - is this just when using the tuner in "standard mode"? As far as I can see, it has a bass mode and transpose (we tune to dropped C) - do these make any difference, and is the delay really [b][i]that[/i][/b] bad?

Also, anyone have any tips on the best way to connect this to the amp? Is it best to run the signal direct into the tuner and run that signal to the amp, or run the bass input into the amp and use the tuner output to the tuner for muted tuning?

Thanks.

Rhymes

[quote name='rhymes' post='145541' date='Feb 23 2008, 12:21 PM']Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, but wondered if anyone could give me some advice/info...

I have a couple of week tour coming up soon and am trying to throw together a decent rig on a (real) tight budget!

I have managed to grab a Warwick Profet 5.1 for 199 ex-demo. Going for a Warwick 611 and was looking at chucking a Behringer rack tuner in for good measure (my current tuner isn't brilliant).

I play an Ibanex SRX505 5 string mainly, so need the 5th string tuning ability. What I wanted to know about the Behringer tuner is that a lot of people have said they have problems with lag/delay tuning the low B - is this just when using the tuner in "standard mode"? As far as I can see, it has a bass mode and transpose (we tune to dropped C) - do these make any difference, and is the delay really [b][i]that[/i][/b] bad?

Also, anyone have any tips on the best way to connect this to the amp? Is it best to run the signal direct into the tuner and run that signal to the amp, or run the bass input into the amp and use the tuner output to the tuner for muted tuning?

Thanks.

Rhymes[/quote]

My experience of the behringer is that it didn't tune the low B at all, even playing a 12th fret harmonic. This was on 2 seperate units.

If you're building a rack based rig (and your behringer comments suggest you are), then most preamps have a tuner out jack. The majority are now being built with a mute facility that leaves the tuner out facility active. this is infinitely better than running your input signal through any other device.

[quote name='jacko' post='145770' date='Feb 23 2008, 10:35 PM']My experience of the behringer is that it didn't tune the low B at all, even playing a 12th fret harmonic. This was on 2 seperate units.

If you're building a rack based rig (and your behringer comments suggest you are), then most preamps have a tuner out jack. The majority are now being built with a mute facility that leaves the tuner out facility active. this is infinitely better than running your input signal through any other device.[/quote]

Hmmm. Thanks for replying Jacko.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to give it a try - I will have my small back up tuner and if it is that bad, flog it after the tour and upgrade to a Korg or something better when I have a few quid more.

Anyway, thanks again. :)

edit: I picked up a Korg DTR2 and 4u Warwick rack case for £100 on ebay today. Behringer problem solved...

Edited by rhymes

[quote name='rhymes' post='146071' date='Feb 24 2008, 04:33 PM']Hmmm. Thanks for replying Jacko.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to give it a try - I will have my small back up tuner and if it is that bad, flog it after the tour and upgrade to a Korg or something better when I have a few quid more.

Anyway, thanks again. :)

edit: I picked up a Korg DTR2 and 4u Warwick rack case for £100 on ebay today. Behringer problem solved...[/quote]

Glad to hear that. I think you made the right choice. You'll not regret the Korg. and it'll always have a resale value. Can't say the same for Berrys because they're so cheap new.