Why become a member? ×

Adele 25

Jenny_Innie

[quote]I remember her performance at The Brits - Rihanna did something like 5 costume changes in her performance, dancers all over the place, then Adele just stood there, singing (and crying) along to the guy on the piano and completely stole the show.[/quote]

I read an article once about how Adele wasn't even scheduled to take part on that bill. Lady Gaga cancelled last minute, and as Adele was one of the few acts who was available at short notice, she was asked to fill in. That was the genesis of a wave of mainstream beige pop music of which Ed Sheeran was another notable beneficiary.

I love Adele's voice. It's really unique and really powerful but by christ are her songs depressing.

Sing something cheerful FFS. You've got the talent, sing something happy for once

Incidentally Adele is one of my top 4 female vocalists of all time along with Stevie Nicks, Ann Wilson & Skin

Total respect for a great artist. I would love to see her broaden her horizons now though as I don't doubt she would be utterly brilliant at whatever she does and I can't listen to sad songs endlessly. Genuine talent though and a great grounded person.

• 5 weeks later...

Mrs Marvin was give 25 for Christmas. I've listened to it a few times and there are some great songs on there and she's got a cracking warbling box. There are though about 4 or so songs that tend to drag and don't really do much, which is a shame.

It's a good album, just not a great album.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1451847150' post='2943999']
but with that machine powering her along behind the curtains, she was never going to fail. Such is the music biz.
[/quote]

XL Recordings, part of Beggars Banquet, an incredibly long lived independent British label, hardly a fair description WoT!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1451847557' post='2944008']
XL Recordings, part of Beggars Banquet, an incredibly long lived independent British label, hardly a fair description WoT!
[/quote]

Fair enough. She crossed a threshold fairly early on at which point the media seemed to decide she was going to be huge (IMO). I think it's because she appeals to the people who used to buy their CDs as part of the weekly shop at Sainsbury's. The advertisers dream demographic.

I bought it for the missus at xmas and, as a result, have heard it a lot since. She's a fine singer, no doubt, but the production is so full-on all the time, even when it's trying to be subdued, leaves me worn out. It's like a Tufnel amp stuck on 11. If they just reined it in a little every now and then it wkuld work wonders. A break from the crushing sentimentality would be nice too. Sonically and emotionally it's just so one dimensional but that appears to be what the kids want in most genres so I'll leave them to it.

I'd just love to hear her work with a production team who understand the value of subtlety, she could be phenomenal.