Why become a member? ×

500mA power supply output - safe to put into a Boss pedal?

AinsleyWalker

I have a Nordell Audio Power Core, great little power supply.
It has seven 100mA outputs and one 500mA output, along with 3 higher voltage outputs which I don't use/won't use any time soon.

My issue is I have/will have 9 pedals on my board. One can be powered off of my TU3, which leaves 8 pedals to be powered from the power supply(including the tuner)

I'm wondering if it'll be safe to use the 500mA output for one of the pedals on my board, perhaps the TU3? The instruction booklet states that this output produces a MAX current of 500mA and is 'suitable for digital effects'.

I know nothing about anything circuit/electrical related so I was hoping someone could give me their opinion as to whether this output is safe to use on a standard Boss pedal(that will be powering another pedal too) or another pedal on its own?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1448572963' post='2916630']
It'll be fine...the pedal will take what it needs from the supply. The figure of 500mA is an idea of the maximum current it can deliver if needs be.
[/quote]

Sweet. That's what I assumed from the info given in the booklet, but thought I'd check. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1448572963' post='2916630']
It'll be fine...the pedal will take what it needs from the supply. The figure of 500mA is an idea of the maximum current it can deliver if needs be.
[/quote]

My power supply just blew up. Sparks out the plug socket etc... The plug socket is working fine and so are all the pedals, it's isolated to the power supply. I've contacted the seller. This wouldn't be because I was running the tuner (and another boss pedal off the tuner) from the 500mA output would it....

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1451853036' post='2944097']
For a pedal to only take what millamps it needs, doesnt the PS need to be the regulated kind ?
[/quote]

Nope.

The current drawn is dictated by the item thats drawing the current.

Think of your household ring main.
It'll probably be on a 16A breaker but a 60w table lamp plugged into it will only draw about 4A, not the 16A available to it.

A regulated power supply just keeps the output voltage constant as the load on it increases (up to its rated maximum load).

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1452033512' post='2945841']
Nope.

The current drawn is dictated by the item thats drawing the current.

Think of your household ring main.
It'll probably be on a 16A breaker but a 60w table lamp plugged into it will only draw about 4A, not the 16A available to it.

[/quote]

Analogy is correct. Example is wrong.

Ring Main uses 30A breaker.

60-watt light bulb draws 0.25-Amp.