Why become a member? ×

25.5'' scale 4 string bass

Bastav

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1457042930' post='2994859']
Coming along very nicely - I'd say the saddles will work well as long as the holes the screws thread into are tapped suitibly (I assume you've got some more ovankol or rosewood to make more if things don't turn out perfect the first time!).
[/quote]
Yes im a off cuts hoarder so theres plenty of potential saddles where these came from :) thanks for looking!

Thanks for showing interest! Glad you like it

I've mostly been carving away at the neck, taking it slow. Working with the wenge veneers around the neck/body transition has been a bit tricky with the wenge splintering every chance it gets. If i was picking out veneers for something like this again I'd be staying away from wenge... It's getting there though...
PICS!

Also inlayed the 12th fret marker. It turned out alright I think, though it looks better up close than from a distance... I'll probably put a few coats of danish oil on the FB, Im hoping that will make it a bit more distinctive.

Thanks for looking!

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1458683400' post='3009892']
Thats not a guitar, that a sculpture! Very nice work, skill envy here...
[/quote]
+1 on this.

There are some lovely features there. I agree with you about wenge veneer....the final result is lovely, but it's a complete pig to work with.

Right now its about 23 mm at the first fret and about 25 at the 12th including the fingerboard... A little thicker than average but i think i like it. Its also a matter of the truss rod being quite deep... How many mm of wood is standard under the truss rod?

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more work done, first of, knobs!

They turned out quite petite, we'll see if they work out, otherwise I shall have to think of something else...

Next up, I had a bit of a screw up. I had the bright idea to start experimenting with the headstock very late one night, perhaps not the smartest thing to do on a close to finished bass... :yarr: Long story short I ended up with a hole in the headstock, not all the way through but it wasn't pretty. I started contemplating an inlay of some sort, after one failed attempt and some sleepless nights I settled on a design and an approach that seemed doable.

Turned out pretty good I think, not perfect but for a first crack at inlay work I'm calling it a success.

Also inserted som grade AAAA toothpicks as side dots

Thats all folks

• 1 month later...

Well im in mourning. I was banging the frets in and the head fell clean off. I might have been banging a bit excessively but i couldnt get the damn things to seat properly. Dont know what i was doing wrong in regards to the frets but i already had my suspicions about the headstock. I didnt think it would fall off during fretting but i was a bit nervous about it surviving string tension... Oh well, live, learn and all that crud

Now that the initial disapointment has subsided im thinking i might try to remove the fretboard and adding a scarf headstock... Bu how to remove the fretboard i wonder? Btw i tried bangin a few more frets in with a hard hammer head and that worked great... The first one was kind of rubbery which seemed like a good idea at the time

• 1 month later...

Ok, this bass is now in the finishing stages so it might be time to reveal what I came up with. I'm about 90% sure this is gonna work... well maybe 85...
Anyways, it has taken on a life of it's own. Now we're looking at a headless design with the strings going through the body and then through the body again, ending up at the tuners located at the side of the body.

First I removed some wood with a saw, then went on to routing the rest away

Then I drilled for the tuners

Then I went out and bought myself a very long drill and drilled sneaky stringpaths :ph34r: I've made a small cover to hide away all the holes and the mess I made after this picture was taken trying to achieve smooth travel for the strings.

And here's a pic of the headpiece... before sanding and final shaping

Since these pics were taken I've leveled/crowned the frets, sanded everything smooth and begun putting oil on it.

So... what was already a quite unique bass has gotten stranger looking still... Oh well, if it ends up playing I'm calling it a win <_<