Why become a member? ×

Who do you regret not seeing in concert, that sadly aren't around any more?

leschirons

Van halen , the classic tangerine dream lineup,
Actually , as I started going to gigs in '79 I would've seen franke/ frose/ and one of the others .Missed Chris franke at the festival hall ( tho the album is boring ).
Had a tkt for Pete nam look at the Astoria ,but it was cancelled and now he is dead :(
Tool on the 100000 days toir. Just getting into the album , after the tour was done :(

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1448370003' post='2914784']
Captain Beefheart
Hendrix
[/quote]

Both of these chaps. Plus
Little Feat with Lowell George up front
Thin Lizzy - they played Cardiff Capitol just before it closed. Still don't know how I missed that one.

Fugazi - got as close as standing outside one of there's but couldn't get in because it was sold out when I got there

REM - just never got round to it. Wished I'd have seen them in the early 90s.

Supergrass - I'm still puzzled as to why I never saw them. They were fantastic.

Frank Zappa - in 1988. This is the one I most regret but I was yet to hear his music (I bought Ship Arriving Too Late... in 1990). At the time of his death I'd become a huge fan. Thankfully Dweezil is now playing his dad's music, and the ZPZ gigs I've been to have all been wonderful.., but I know it's not the same.

Nirvana, twice!

Metallica in September 1986 a week before Cliff died. I couldn't be bothered to travel from Coventry to Birmingham.

and Primus supporting Jane's Addiction. Again I could't be bothered to travel to Birmingham, so I went to see Carter USM instead.
I know they're around now. But they're not as good.

[quote name='mike f' timestamp='1448370942' post='2914797']
Fugazi - got as close as standing outside one of there's but couldn't get in because it was sold out when I got there

[/quote]
What year was that?
Do you know about the Fugazi Live Series?
You could get the recording of the gig you did't go to

Edited by bartelby

I was lucky enough to see a number of the bands listed above by people who didn't see them.

The Sex Pistols? They weren't all that. Nowhere near as good as the bands they replaced ... Dr. Feelgood, Eddie & The Hot Rods, The Motors, etc.

Little Feat? I thought they were OK. The friend I went with (far more knowledgeable than me about music) was absolutely blown away, but I wasn't that impressed.

Frank Zappa? I went with an Australian drug dealer who lived in Chelsea. At every solo ... [i][b]every single f***ing solo[/b][/i] ... he passed around a bottle of amyl nitrate. Were Zappa any good? Sorry - what was the question again?

AC/DC original line-up? Utterly, utterly mind-blowing. I saw them on three consecutive nights at The Marquee when they first hit London. Jesus H Christ, what a band!

Incidentally, with the benefit of 40 years' hindsight my view of the first three bands listed here may have changed a bit ...

+1 for the Sex Pistols. I could have seen them in Middlesbrough in '77, but thought, nah...

Todd Rundgren's Utopia supporting Led Zeppelin at Knebworth, a year or so later. I'd recently got in to Todd, but didn't fancy standing in muddy field full of Led Zep fans... little did I know that the next opportunity to see Todd would be several years later, and a full decade for the one after that!