Why become a member? ×

Who's the worst band you've seen live?

ubit

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1449313479' post='2922436']

I'll second that. Every gig I've ever been to in the SECC had terrible sound. Big tin shed. Not good.
[/quote]

Yip, dreadful place for good sound. The SSE Hydro seems a lot better. At least all the gigs I've been to have had pretty good sounds. I've heard some folks moan but I reckon it depends where you are.

Blur at the Town and Country Club in Leeds in June '94 - one of my first ever concerts and had been learning the bass line to "Girls and Boys". They were awful - Damon appeared to be drunk as a skunk, and no-one else could be bothered. Huge disappointment though I reckon I could have played "Girls and Boys" at least as well as Alex that night...

Edited by anzoid

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449246855' post='2921955']
Not quite, when I saw them it was still Sano -- I remember him distinctly, thundering away with his Steve Harris fingers on what if memory serves was a Yamaha BB of some sort. He was a great player and definitely looked very cool. I think Murray took over shortly afterwards.
[/quote]

Pretty sure it was Murray with them when I saw them, presumably a different tour. I had a look on wiki (might be wrong) which suggests when they first relocated to UK Sano stayed in Japan, so they hired Murray as a stop gap until Sano then sorted his affairs out in Japan and came over too.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1447959276' post='2911889']
HIM were pretty appalling, though I think the worst was the last time I saw Marylin Manson at a festival, Download '09 I think; just plain awful.
[/quote]

I saw that and yes, it was abysmal.

Mine was Smashing Pumpkins just before they split at NEC so about '99 - 2000. They started off with a long acoustic set of their slow boring songs that nobody knew then proceeded to play a slow dull set that omitted the hits. I guess thats where they're heads were at at that time which is fair enough but when you're playing to a huge crowd surely you should do a few pleasers?

Junior Walker & the Allstars at the California, Dunstable. - I paid (unusual for me) for the girlfriend and me to go in, and left after the first number, it was all unbelievably bad.
On the same subject, I watched half the audience walk out of the Talk of the Town when Stevie Wonder managed to be complete & utter sh*te - it happens..........

:)

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1449523121' post='2924393']
Junior Walker & the Allstars at the California, Dunstable. - I paid (unusual for me) for the girlfriend and me to go in, and left after the first number, it was all unbelievably bad.
On the same subject, I watched half the audience walk out of the Talk of the Town when Stevie Wonder managed to be complete & utter sh*te - it happens..........

:)
[/quote]

At least he wouldn't have noticed.

I'll get me coat :(

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1449301096' post='2922318']
I'm not sure what it's like these days but I don't think Mastodon's live sound worked in big arenas back then. I saw them supporting Tool at Wembley Arena as well and their sound got a bit lost in the large reverberant venue then too.
[/quote]
I think thats a problem for bands who record straight into the desk, Idk, but they were better than HIM.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1448040420' post='2912645']
The support band were called Marseille, I think..... They were bobbins too.
[/quote]

Neil "Art Attack" Buchanan's band, he's the lead guitarist - he got them back together for a tour a couple of years back!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1448969398' post='2919621']
Ha! See post #129, that's 3 of us that remember them and probably all from the same gig :D
[/quote]

Add me to that list, what a shocker Chicks On Speed were, and I remember Fruiscante's telling off of the crowd for booing them. James Brown was great though, I'd have happily just watched him and then gone home!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1449005875' post='2920079']
Sounds like The Game.
[/quote]

Damn you Kiwi!!!!

One of my worst gigs is one of my favourite bands who (unsurprisingly) have already had a couple of mentions. They've also been responsible for two of the best gigs I've seen though - Smashing Pumpkins.

I saw them at Leeds 2007 as a back-to-back double header with Nine Inch Nails, which all together was four of the best hours of my life, blew me away. When they announced a UK tour shortly afterwards, I rounded up a bunch of mates, raving to them about how incredible the Leeds headline set was. What we got in the MEN that night was like watching a different band. Long, dragged out jams that went nowhere in the middle of songs, solos that mostly consisted of tuneless feedback and Billy Corgan looking like he'd rather have been anywhere other than on that stage. I was gutted. Such a disappointment.

Saw them one more time since in a much smaller venue (Manc Academy 1) and they were absolutely incredible!