Why become a member? ×

Who's the worst band you've seen live?

ubit

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449223245' post='2921629']
I'm very glad no-one has seen fit to youtube some of the worst ones :blink:
[/quote]

A guy I know just had a shocker of a gig and at one point felt he had to ask the audience not to put the videos up on YouTube.

The bad gigs were never seen by most people and the memories used to be relegated to threads like this, now they are pasted all over the internet and that's not good.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1449198749' post='2921503']

Marilyn Manson - I was never a fan, but I liked a handful of songs and mostly went for the theatrics. Hideous, slightly stomach-churning. When he slashed himself with a bottle and urged the crowd to spit on his wounds, it was time for me to leave. This was after he had gobbed on his paying fans umpteen times already.

[/quote]

I saw him play not too long ago (last year I think?) in Glasgow and I think he's learned that people don't really want to see that. There were many theatrics but nothing quite as...mental as that. T'was a good show.

I'll have to nominate one of my old bands for worst tune that's up on youtube. A cover of Tomorrow Never Knows featuring 3 "guest" vocalists who had never sung it together before.
I can't seem to put links in here anymore, but if you really are some kind of masochist, put "Mark Bosley Tomorrow never knows" in the youtube search.
I really can't see why HE would have put it out there. Knitting needles in you ears would be kinder...

This has been interesting reading!

Two for me.

Sabbath (big fan) late 70's, just dreadful!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:
The Bonus - Van Halen were the support! :D :D
They had only done a few gigs in the UK - Bar was full, Eddy struck up - Bar emptied VERY QUICKLY!
What a mistake putting them on - poor old Sabbath were not in the same league.
Ozzy - Hic!
Bill fell of his stool.
Not good.

Thin Lizzy (massive fan - saw them in the 70's) when Scott was the only original member, Rock City.
Just truly awful!
There seemed to be a lot of people on stage, the drummer thought he was Animal, from the Muppets,
The whole thing was just too busy and to make things worse a couple of "I hope you are up there and
you are enjoying this Phil"
What???
Really glad to get out of the place!! :angry:

There, rant over. :)

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1449222399' post='2921623']
It was really strange Ubit, Kelly picked this person out in the crowd and was making a big deal out of it. Obviously having a bad day? I can't see the problem with taking pictures.

Jas
[/quote]

If I'm in the audience, I know I've been a bit annoyed when the bloke next to me films the whole set on his iphone, but if I'm on stage I'm happy to see a few cameras pointed at us - it suggests people might actually talk about us after the event, which is a nice thought!

The only gig I've ever left early was Vow Wow in a club in Reading in 1987. Not because they were bad -- far from it, they were absolutely superb -- but because I'd only gone out of curiosity TBH, and I had a really early start next morning.
In terms of [i]really[/i] bad performance, my first prize goes to a band called The Regulators; my band supported them at the Mean Fiddler back in early 1988. They really thought they were It, swaggering around the place like they owned it and basically treating everyone especially us, the support, like the sht on their shoes. From their soundcheck it was obvious they thought they were the Black Crowes, but they were about as impressive as Black Lace. I got an idea of what their set was going to be like when we left the dressing room for our set and they were already a third of the way down a couple of bottles of JD -- by the time we finished shifting our kit and they came out for their set, they could barely stand. The frontman walked into his mic stand, got the mic out of the clip at the third attempt, waved one of the now-empty JD bottles at the audience with a stupid 'look, I've had a drink, aren't I clever' grin and bellowed, "Hey. Heyyyy. Are you, are you ready. To g *hic* get rrregulated?". You'd think from there it could only really get better, but no. That was actually the high point of their set. The sheer car-crash horror of their 'performance' can probably be summed up by the fact that at one point I glanced over at the desk and the engineer was just staring at the stage and shaking his head slowly in disbelief.

BTW, I've had a quick google and found a band on there called The Regulators. I'd just like to point out that they are very definitely [u]not[/u] the same band.

The Smiths at Aberdeen Capitol in 1984.

Played for 45 minutes, looked totally disinterested (maybe that was deliberate?) and built a frame across the front of the stage to make it half the size.

Acted as if everyone should be really glad they'd actually favoured us with their presence.

Just sh!te.

... also, I've seen Megadeth half a dozen times, from the Marquee to Rock City to Long Beach Arena. They were unfailingly awful on every occasion.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449237363' post='2921847']
The only gig I've ever left early was Vow Wow in a club in Reading in 1987. Not because they were bad -- far from it, they were absolutely superb -- but because I'd only gone out of curiosity TBH, and I had a really early start next morning.
[/quote]

I'm sure I saw them on the same tour, wasn't Neil Murray playing bass with them?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449245170' post='2921943']
I'm sure I saw them on the same tour, wasn't Neil Murray playing bass with them?
[/quote]
Not quite, when I saw them it was still Sano -- I remember him distinctly, thundering away with his Steve Harris fingers on what if memory serves was a Yamaha BB of some sort. He was a great player and definitely looked very cool. I think Murray took over shortly afterwards.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1449237148' post='2921846']
If I'm in the audience, I know I've been a bit annoyed when the bloke next to me films the whole set on his iphone, but if I'm on stage I'm happy to see a few cameras pointed at us - it suggests people might actually talk about us after the event, which is a nice thought!
[/quote]

I think that's the most annoying thing for me about going to a gig, I don't want to see the band through a sea of view finders. All so someone can have a blurry video with terrible sound quality. It really does bug me, I paid to watch the band, not your bloody phone screen :angry:

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1449232849' post='2921783']
This has been interesting reading!

Two for me.

Sabbath (big fan) late 70's, just dreadful!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:
The Bonus - Van Halen were the support! :D :D
They had only done a few gigs in the UK - Bar was full, Eddy struck up - Bar emptied VERY QUICKLY!
What a mistake putting them on - poor old Sabbath were not in the same league.
Ozzy - Hic!
Bill fell of his stool.
Not good.

Thin Lizzy (massive fan - saw them in the 70's) when Scott was the only original member, Rock City.
Just truly awful!
There seemed to be a lot of people on stage, the drummer thought he was Animal, from the Muppets,
The whole thing was just too busy and to make things worse a couple of "I hope you are up there and
you are enjoying this Phil"
What???
Really glad to get out of the place!! :angry:

There, rant over. :)
[/quote]Pleased to hear Lizzy (sic) fell on their arses - Lizzy with only one 'classic' member and it ain't Phil?

Avenged Sevenfold, twice. Both times they came across as lazy, selfish and arrogant.

The first was at Leeds Met, and the frontman made a point of repeatedly saying they were tired, before cutting the gig short. They must have played half an hour of a 1 hour set, basically because they were hungover.

The 2nd time was at a festival, where the frontman once again kept pointing out how he had a bad cold. They did about 2 songs, got a random girl from the crowd to sing two songs for him, then they called it a day. I remember hearing booing, but maybe that was just my mates!

Talented guys, but they don't give a sh*t. Not an ounce of life or character between them (Some good records though).

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1449264152' post='2922156']
Avenged Sevenfold, twice. Both times they came across as lazy, selfish and arrogant.

The first was at Leeds Met, and the frontman made a point of repeatedly saying they were tired, before cutting the gig short. They must have played half an hour of a 1 hour set, basically because they were hungover.

The 2nd time was at a festival, where the frontman once again kept pointing out how he had a bad cold. They did about 2 songs, got a random girl from the crowd to sing two songs for him, then they called it a day. I remember hearing booing, but maybe that was just my mates!

Talented guys, but they don't give a sh*t. Not an ounce of life or character between them (Some good records though).
[/quote]

According to all sources, that guy is a complete and utter cock. You can tell - it just sort of screams out of him.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1449279947' post='2922281']

They get my vote to, main support for Metallica in one of the first few gigs at the new Wembly. Sound was set up for talica but it was just shocking.
[/quote]

That wasn't the gig I was thinking of - I saw them in Cambridge in 2005/2006 and it was dreadful. Cathedral were the support so the night wasn't a complete write-off.

That Metallica show had real potential with Machine Head and Mastodon supporting as well as HIM, but the sound for the support acts was shocking.

I'm not sure what it's like these days but I don't think Mastodon's live sound worked in big arenas back then. I saw them supporting Tool at Wembley Arena as well and their sound got a bit lost in the large reverberant venue then too.

I've been to plenty gigs where the sound was bad and I think it's unfortunate if we brand the band as being poor just because of their sound although it does contribute to ruining your night. Some venues are inherently bad for sound and I've seen me take a rain check on some gigs purely cos I know where it is ( SECC, you know I'm talking about you)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1449309289' post='2922385']
I've been to plenty gigs where the sound was bad and I think it's unfortunate if we brand the band as being poor just because of their sound although it does contribute to ruining your night. Some venues are inherently bad for sound and I've seen me take a rain check on some gigs purely cos I know where it is ( SECC, you know I'm talking about you)
[/quote]

I'll second that. Every gig I've ever been to in the SECC had terrible sound. Big tin shed. Not good.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1449309289' post='2922385']
[/quote]I would have thought that main headliners would have there own sound man, I heard some shocking sound at Rock City and also some excellent sound, so it's not always the venue ( though sometimes is), if the band has a rubbish sound man that's their fault