Why become a member? ×

Who's the worst band you've seen live?

ubit

Been going to gigs since '79, so I've seen some real cr@p. I' ll list them , as I remember them;)

Back in the early '80s a band supporting hawk wind Crown of thorns . Not at all musical.

Iron maiden at Wembley in the late '80s when they were blown off stage by anthrax . Only a few of us in the bar , but we enjoyed a few more drinks than expected.

Warrior soul..some pretty boy with long blonde hair trying to be all political.

Mordred at the marquee . The frontman was a c@ck! They should've been huge, but live they were cr@p. All attitude, but nothing to back it up .

Motörhead at Wembley arena . The place was too big for them . No atmosphere.

Kiss at Wembley arena on the crazy tights tour.
Half empty venue because of post strike .
No stage show..just Paul Stanley playing with his hair .
Therapy at town and country . Cop shoot cop were way better .
Dave lee Roth at hammy o . The tour where he had session musicians . Dirty mouth tour?
John may all at hammy o . Looked like jimmy savilke . Boring , and arrogant .
Megadeath peace sells tour . Mustaine strung out on drugs. Flotsam blew them clean off stage.

Janes addiction at the Astoria ..camp ottvocalist carried through crowd eating grapes . I left after 10 mins.
Queensryche .. Mind crime tour ..bland .
Saw them 2 /3 years ago in Bournemouth .. Great.
The almighty, Kentish Town . They were filming a video , but it got messed up and never released . Awful .
Jack Bruce .. Empire Shepherd's Bush . He didn't want to be there . Schenker messed things up by pulling out of gig, half empty venue. Bruce finished with Eleanor rigby. Awful f@@king awful!
That's it for now

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1448011978' post='2912212']
well all things considered in this post i just consider myself lucky i never went to see Yngwie :ph34r:
[/quote]

I've seen Yngwie a few times over the years & he's never been less than very entertaining.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1447973748' post='2912053']
There was a local band who opened as part of a [b]Raging Speedhorn[/b]/Amen double header. Their name has long since dropped out of my memory; their performance, unfortunately, hasn't. The singer's idea of performing was literally to insert the head of the SM58 into his gob and roar into it, while the band appeared to play 4 different songs behind him. For 30 minutes. To his credit, his singing was responsible for the strangest request from a singer to the sound guy when Raging Speedhorn took the stage - "Can I get a new mic up here? This one just smells of puke". Ah...the look on the soundguy's face... :blush:
[/quote]
Raging Speedhorn. Horrible dogsh*te every time that I've seen them (first time was their first tour as support for Iron Monkey, last time was at Damnation last year)! There was a time when they seemed to be everywhere. I went to 3 or 4 shows on the tour when they had Clutch supporting and left before they even hit the stage as headliners.

The one time I saw them do something fun was when 3 of them played a set of covers in the basement of a pub at an afterparty. They did great versions of Black Sabbath & similar.

Just seems to be one of those bands that has the ingredients of something that I should like but I really don't.

End rant, haha. :)

Iron maiden at the monsters of Rock as it was then seventh son seventh son album time awfull , 4 songs in and I'd had a enough missed my coach home and had bum a lift I was cold wet and pissed off I have hated iron maiden ever since bastards ,kiss played before them and they were great , I needed to get it off my chest after nearly 30yrs of torment , thanks😡

Edited by kevvo66

It's between 2. Funeral Party, who opened for 30 Seconds To Mars back in 2010 and were absolute dire, or The Millionaires, who are a horrendously rubbish girl 'band' from the states, and were booed offstage after 3 songs at Caff/Club Nirvana in Wigan, on the Under-18's night no less.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Lou Reed, way back in the mid 70's. Was really looking forward to the gig. (Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on guitars) and I was raving over the Rock & Roll animal album at the time.

Came on stoned, 90 minutes late to booing and slow hand claps from the audience and then proceeded to tell us all to f*** off if we didn't like it.

Big mistake. After 5 minutes of flat mumbling / singing and the worst out of tune guitar playing I've ever heard, we did. About 60% of the audience walked.

Andy Summers comes a close second. Jazz trio, at Pizza Express. Talked for more time than they played, mainly about how he was influenced by Thelonius Monk at the age of 12 (really?)
A complete twat who felt it was necessary to explain why he played this chord or that chord.

On the upside, the four cheeses pizza was very nice.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1448009489' post='2912184']
It Bites - Manchester 1986, went along with some mates who were smitten with them, for me they really sucked. On a positive note they were supported by The Cardiacs so the night wasn't wasted. There have been others others but It Bites, take the crown.
[/quote]
Weird isn't it, I saw them round about the same time and for me it was the exact opposite -- hated the support but loved IB. Mind you, IB's brand of proggy nonsense is right up my street anyway, so they were never likely to disappoint :lol:

It's always horrible when you see your heroes failing onstage. Another episode I remember, and I feel guilty for saying this in light of his problems and eventual death , was at a festival years ago. Rory Gallagher was on the bill. We were very excited to see him but he came on obviously very drunk. Couldn't play or sing and at one point dissapeared off stage, leaving the bass player and drummer playing on, looking at each other and at the wings. Rory eventually reappeared and stumbled through a very short set. It was sad to see and he died not long after, so I guess we were witnessing the tail end of his demise from alcohol.
On the same bill, and again, I feel guilty as he suffered from various ailments, was Edwin Collins, ex of OrangeJuice. He stumbled through a shambolic set and at one point introduced a harmonica player, who, at his cue, started singing woo woo, woo woo. We surmised that he must have forgotten his harmonica. It was all a great laugh, but you have to feel sorry for Edwin, as nothing went right for him that day. At one point he jumped on to a monitor which fell over, he then stood on a drum kit, much to the annoyance of the roadie from the Levellers, who were next on. He then jumped off stage into the "moat " in front of the baying masses and his mic lead wasn't long enough! We were right at the front having a great laugh at all of this this'

Edited by ubit

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1447971061' post='2912026']
I have seen Rush six times over the years....one of my all time favourite bands, but the sound quality/mix has been consistently diabolical.

Strange that one of my favourite bands gigs should have proved some of the biggest disappointments.
[/quote]

I'd forgotten one, the all-girl 'band' (I think they were more performance artists than actual musicians tbh) that were on first at the RHCP's gigs when James Brown was second on the bill, think it was a greatest hits tour. Man City's football stadium. Shambolic from start to finish. Think they were Australian but could be wrong, forget their name.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1448038636' post='2912615']

Tygers of pang tang . Electric ballroom .
All of us in the crowd were angel witch fans back on the day, but Jess cox was grating
[/quote]

That's funny, TOPT were the very first " proper" band I seen. They were supporting Saxon in 1980, wheels of steel tour. I thought they were great, but then again, I would have enjoyed anyone playing guitars back then. I must admit, Jess Cox doesn't possess the best voice. They did improve later when John Deverill joined. He had a great rock voice!

I saw Ozzy in around '88 - stumbling, mumbling, and all his lyrics taped to the stage to remind him who, and where he was!

From memory, it was just before he tried to strangle Sharon - so he must have been in a, ahem, 'bad way' at the time.

Do remember Zakk Wylde being pretty hot on the guitar, though.

....and I should add Kenickie - mid/late 90s band with the now famous TV person Lauren Laverne.

I'll admit - I was a fan, and love the singles they'd put out so far - this was late '96, before any album had come out.

They were dreadful. I remember watching them thinking - how can they be this poor? It was more like a front-room rehearsal. Very bad.

I wrote a damning review of the gig and venue in the Student newspaper (circulation 10.000!), and soon heard that owner of said venue wanted to kill me.

The pen was clearly not mightier than the sword, as I was shitting myself whenever I went past. Lesson learned! :blush:

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1447971353' post='2912031']
Back in the late 70s, I was going to see Black Sabbath. A friend told me that the support band were absolutely fantastic, with a demon lead guitarist. So I went, Dickens-like, with great expectations, only to be sorely disappointed by Tanzder Youth (Sabbath were good though).

It turned out there had been different support bands, and the one I'd missed through going on the wrong night were called Van Halen.
[/quote]Yeah I saw Sabbath in '78, the support was a band I think called Van Halen. I NEVER tire of saying that line!

Ultravox a few years back at the Roundhouse. Half the set was later Midge Ure penned stuff, with his terrible guitar playing up high in the mix. Turns out he only agreed to the gig if he could play his songs and the sound woman who does his acoustic shows could mix. Walked out about halfway through.