Why become a member? ×

Best Bass For Prog/Metal?

AlexJGriffith

My modulus FB4 destroys, tons of clarity which will cut and sit with two loud guitarists. In my current proggy metal band (one guitarist) I use a Warwick Rockbass corvette 6 string. It sounds awesome, bought it cause of Jon Stockman, Karnivool's bassist who has the greatest bass sound ever for this genre. he plays a thumb though.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1447801461' post='2910625']
Good call on the Peaveys - you might be able to find a Cirrus BXP for £300-ish, although keep an eye out for a G-Bass - they're US-made, with a Modulus graphite neck and Peavey's beefy VFL pickups. Spectacularly good bass, and, when they do show up, cheap as (moderately expensive) chips. :)
[/quote]

I bought and sold on a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 for the paltry sum of £145

An electric one :).

I think it depends on your personal tonal goals. A lot depends on how you play. I've heard people play my bass, and it sounds different to when I play it.

I personally like John Myung's sound in recent Dream Theater recordings, that's a 6 string Musicman Bongo, that has 5 string, string spacing.

There are also a couple of Prog metal bands that I like who use a fretless.

Edited by ambient

I think it's worth looking at the type of prog / metal that you are interested in using said bass with! - I mean, if it's Jethro Tull type Prog then I'd go for something a little off the wall to make things sound interesting - maybe a short scale fretless - just.. because..
If we're talking mega down-tuned tech metal then a different ball park altogether. The rest of your signal chain may need some attention too. I totally second the comment about a Dingwall Combustion though and hopefully a second hand one will come close to your budget. Drop tunings, the Dingwall is superb, especially with that 37" fan fret scale on the B string.

That said, my custom basses are prog machines - a 6 string and 7 string designed by myself and brought to life by the expert hands of Jon Shuker at Shuker Bass. - So there's another option for the future though not in the same budget range right now.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1448415657' post='2915313']
Is there anything you don't like about your current BTB? I've heard some pretty brutal tones coming from one of those when paired up with a Darkglass B3K / B7K.
[/quote]

I bloody love the tone of the bass, but I just find the spacing between the strings is a bit too little. I'm trying to include slapping and popping into my style, and it's not really letting me. I've tried it on the BTB 5-string, but i have the same problem.

That could change the recommendations somewhat, as some of the basses mentioned also have pretty tight string spacing (e.g. some Music Mans and Warwicks).

2 basses spring to mind for a wide spaced 5 string, the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz (none more black, very metal) and Warwick do wide neck versions of some of their basses, they are not that common but I have seen them crop up for sale second hand!

[quote name='AlexJGriffith' timestamp='1448479760' post='2915818']
I guess that's what I'm actually looking for; a bass that you can easily shift on, and one that's ideal for slap-bass as well. Any stand-outs? I know Ibanez necks are quite smooth to play on, but I'm not sure, otherwise.
[/quote]

I've got a K5. It's a great guitar but the neck is really thin ( which is typical of Ibanezeseses) I struggle with the tight string spacing. Maybe it's my sausage fingers!
Right enough.