Why become a member? ×

Performance Anxiety Questionnaire

Leeroyuk45

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1447781033' post='2910338']
Done - this survey is obviously about live performances, which doesn't bother me at all. I get more nervous when I'm going into a recording studio...!
[/quote]

This^

Studio work terrifies me, particularly if one of my specific guitar playing mates is present - he's got 40 years of pro session work under his belt. :o

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447773892' post='2910221']
Leeroy...

To best answer one would have to know the aims and objectives of the project. Is this from a medical point of view, or musical, or other..? For performance, for example, I'd be much more concerned with complacency, as I have always found that some eager anticipation, including nervosity, helps stimulate many creative instincts, and hone one's appreciation of the moment and event. Different for different people, it's true, and we've all known the player frozen like a rabbit in headlights once on stage. I'd suggest that these same folks would be just as unsettled giving a speech, or even in a crowded environment, not related with music. It's more a character thing; some folks are at ease, others less so. Too debonair is not better, I find, for getting the best performance. Too cool can 'kill' the ambience.
I would say that rehearsal is more stressful in general, the concentration is different, and one is often in uncharted territory with colleagues perhaps equally ill at ease. No big deal; it's part of the game, but once on stage, all that should be gone; everyone should know their role.
As a drummer, the name of the game is relaxation, and, when playing, I'm too busy concentrating on listening to the others and trying to breath properly to worry about anything at all. The old adage, paraphrased by 'Stuff happens', is all too true, but one just takes it as it comes. Dropped a stick..? I've others at hand. A cymbal stand has collapsed..? Play on another. The snare mic has slipped..? Find a spot in the beat to edge it back, or ignore it and adjust the strokes to compensate. No bass drum pedal..? Do the best on the low tom and smile. I'm not alone in this...

Hope this helps (but it's doubtful... :blush: )
[/quote]

Dad3353...

My dissertation is focussed on instrument related MPA for popular musicians- Firstly, do the different instruments suffer from different symptoms and secondly- depending on the instrument you choose are you more likely to suffer from severe MPA (I.e. as a guitarist, are you generally more likely to suffer from anxiety in everyday life more than say a drummer), so it ties in personality types as well as simple physical symptoms.

You're absolutely bang on with what you've written here. First of all, it has been proven that some anxiety/nerves are beneficial for any performance/public orientated task and yes, it is considered that people with performance anxiety suffer also with general anxiety, MPA is merely another form of general anxiety. Again, you have probably seen it, or experienced a below par performance for whatever reason- too tired/burnt out or simply unenthusiastic about the project- thats because of having too little anxiety/nerves/adrenaline. Crazy really but the saying "game face" is more than just a saying, its about channeling this energy positively.

Also just want to say, thanks to you all for the overwhelming response! Its been amazing really! I really appreciate it and will share the results when I've finished.

Ive had to take the survey down due to it!

Thanks again though!

Edited by Leeroyuk45

[quote name='Leeroyuk45' timestamp='1447784054' post='2910378']...
Ive had to take the survey down due to it!...
[/quote]

Darn it..! I was going to do it again..! :(

Can't tell if there's a gig on with me; I'm grumpy[i] all[/i] of the time..! :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

I did the survey although I light of some of the comments I ought to clarify my answers.

Although I responded as a bassist, I also play guitar and keyboards and have been the main guitarist and/or keyboard player in bands at various points in my musical career. My choice of instrument has absolutely zero bearing on how I feel before, during and after performance.

I do have increased hear-rste during gigs. It's because I'm excited and for me playing live is a physically strenuous activity mostly because I'm not content to simply stand there and play.

My palms sweat. Along with the rest of my body. It's hot up there on stage especially in some of the outits that I choose to wear. It's all about the performance.

If I do get nerves it never manifests itself in the symptoms mentioned in your questionnaire, but more a bad temper (although I'm much, much better than I was 20-30 years ago) and an inability to appreciate the other bands on the same bill because all I really want to do is get up there and play.

HTH.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1447836277' post='2910727']
This. Even if we are the support band I cant watch another band after we have finished. Thought it was just me.
[/quote]

This became very obvious last month when I went to WGW and watched a band who we have supported numerous times. I really enjoyed their set this time (before I'd always noted them as being vaguely entertaining but nothing really special), maybe because I hadn't just done all the tedious crap that we have to go through in order to enjoy those 45 minutes on stage first.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1447775798' post='2910249']
First of all Leeroyuk45 thanks for getting involved in the conversation, not just posting the poll and running!

Nicko, I'd agree with Leeroy, that the opposite is probably more likely - the pro doing a pub gig could well feel more out of his comfort zone. I would have thought as you progress through bigger gigs your anxiety levels would stay about the same as you would be building confidence. Also, as the gigs get really big the become far less personal, no worries about being next to a punter at the urinals of the O2!!
[/quote]

You might both be right, but Isn't the point of the questionnaire to confirm such assumptions?

Done.I dont ever get nervous before a gig,no matter the size of a venue.Never have except from my very early days.(I'm 63 now). But dont ask me to perform in front of family gatherings,parties etc.For some reason it scares the hell out of me and has led to some rows in the past when somebody has thrust a guitar in my sweaty hands and commanded 'Give us a song.You play in a band dont'ya!',and I've refused point blank.I'm completely overcome with nerves.Dont know why.