Why become a member? ×

A Point Of View: The Tyranny of Pop

pfretrock

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447949730' post='2911770']
Well all I can say is that I heard Everything Everything's song No Reptiles for the first time last night. If there was ever any doubt in my mind that 'pop' is alive and well it is certainly gone now.

Seems to me that far from bemoaning the state of current music certain people need to put a bit more effort into discovering all of the fantastic stuff out there and not just expect it delivered to them via MTV.
[/quote]

Unfortunately MTV has worked itself into a very good niche of providing music for people who don't care about music. I'd like to think that anyone who is genuinely interested in music has the wherewithal to search beyond MTV for something more interesting. (It's not like you even have to desert the mainstream altogether - I know a few people who are very enthusiastic about their local music scene but still inexplicably think Coldplay are god's gift to music...)

I remember reading an interview with Carol Kaye where she talked about her work as a session player. Back when she was recording with the Beach Boys, the musicians and studio engineers used to laugh at the songs they were asked to record, viewing them as mainstream, temporary trash. There was actually a quote along the lines of "can you imagine people listening to this stuff in 50 years?"

What is 'good' is purely subjective, and those who think that modern music won't have a lasting legacy are the small minded ones IMO.

Neil Young said something like "if I understood Modern music , they'd be something wrong with it"

Might be a slight miss quote , but he understands each generation have to change things for themselves

I seriously hate loads of types of music , but I understand those listening to it hear things that move them as I do with my own

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1447621063' post='2909054']

Time gets to decide.
[/quote]
Maybe this is correct. Maybe not. Time does not exist. It's merely a theory or an explanation to help us quantify a period of existence. It is we the people who ultimately decide the fate of music as it passes down through the generations. It is people who decide what to carry forward and what to leave behind. It's a question of quality, what is quality and how do you quantify the qualities in a song or a piece of music that deem it worthy of remembrance. What is it that makes certain music relevant and continue to be relevant. I wish I knew the answer to these questions. I wish I had that musical Midas touch. I agree that a lot of pop music is irrelevant, a sort of chewing gum for the brain but every once in a while a gem comes along and gets its hooks in the psyche of a generation and another icon is born and like it or not it will be carried forward and passed on for decades and attributes will be afforded to it in retro that probably never existed in its conception and infancy but this is all part of that quality, that unquantifiable something that may be no more than a shot in the dark, but it was enough to capture the hearts and minds of a generation and generations to come.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1448017622' post='2912278']
Maybe this is correct. Maybe not. Time does not exist. It's merely a theory or an explanation to help us quantify a period of existence. It is we the people who ultimately decide the fate of music as it passes down through the generations. It is people who decide what to carry forward and what to leave behind. It's a question of quality, what is quality and how do you quantify the qualities in a song or a piece of music that deem it worthy of remembrance. What is it that makes certain music relevant and continue to be relevant. I wish I knew the answer to these questions. I wish I had that musical Midas touch. I agree that a lot of pop music is irrelevant, a sort of chewing gum for the brain but every once in a while a gem comes along and gets its hooks in the psyche of a generation and another icon is born and like it or not it will be carried forward and passed on for decades and attributes will be afforded to it in retro that probably never existed in its conception and infancy but this is all part of that quality, that unquantifiable something that may be no more than a shot in the dark, but it was enough to capture the hearts and minds of a generation and generations to come.
[/quote]

You've been listening to [i]my [/i]stuff again, haven't you..? :rolleyes:

:lol: :P

I grew up in the 80s.

It was wall to wall crap for 10years, with the occasional brilliant long lasting tune.

Any greatest hits of the 80s will have the same old numbers, go see a band they'll play those numbers.

Music is, and always has been, prolific. Out of every thousand tunes written only a handful really stand out.

And they stand out to different people for different reasons.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1448005209' post='2912146']
Ok hands up everybody in here of a certain age who when as a teenager thought they were on some god given mission to save the world from banality and mediocrity by listening to prog

How did that work out?
[/quote]

I'll have to sheepishly raise a hand here. Though I am still proudly listening to various prog-rock bands, not to mention discovering new ones.