Why become a member? ×

Tele replacement pickups?

The Admiral

I've been looking for some replacement pick ups for a cheap Chinese Tele I bought on here, and there are a lot of options - no surprise.

I don't want to shell out for dimarzios etc. so I've been looking at some of the after market companies like Iron Stone. Anyone have any suggestions for some good replacements which won't break the bank? It's for playing rhythm guitar in a classic rock band, so boutique custom winds not necessary!

Thanks.

You could 'pick up' (boom, boom) some G&L MFD pups as used in the Asat Special. They are incredible....full and punchy at 10, sweet clean and refined when rolled off a touch. A truly remarkable set of pups that sound v Tele too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have opinions on replacement pickups...here they are :D

IMHO the reason I don't like the sound of the pickups on cheaper guitars and basses is that they tend to use ceramic magnets. Now of course many people love the sound of ceramics but I'm not just one of them.

So with a cheap Chinese tele my first thought would be to swap them for alnico equipped pickups. I think the change from ceramic to alnico is far more important than brand/price etc. I have used Artec alnico pickups in the past and always been very pleased with them but I would literally just get any set of alnico pickups and expect an improvement.

However I have no idea what I'm talking about,

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1462880502' post='3046517']
I've got a set of second hand classic vibes (from a 50s one my mate upgraded) in a very cheap chinese tele, it sounds shockingly good now, when it probably shouldn't.
[/quote]Those Classic Vibe pickups are ace.

I've used an Artec "Giovanni" tele bridge pickup which was nice. It's a bit hotter than a standard tele bridge, but not so hot that it loses the tele sound. They're fairly standard vintage style alnico pickups and seem well made.
[url="http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Artec-Custom-PickupVitage-Tele-Pickup1pcs-of-Bridge-pickup_p_1214.html"]http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Artec-Custom-PickupVitage-Tele-Pickup1pcs-of-Bridge-pickup_p_1214.html[/url]

Worryingly :D I recently played a Farida tele (standard pickups) through a Stagg practice amp. At low / medium volume it was seriously good, on a par with my USA tele and valve amp. There are many good pickups out there, even cheapie OE. I have had good results with Kent Armstrongs and DiMarzio.

Edited by 3below

• 1 year later...

There are lots of Tele (and Strat) pickups that sound exactly the same. If you want a pickup that really makes a difference to your tone, sounds fat and smooth and cuts through without that thin "jangly" edge, try the Alinco II pickups from Seymour Duncan. They really are the business.

19 hours ago, stevie said:

There are lots of Tele (and Strat) pickups that sound exactly the same. If you want a pickup that really makes a difference to your tone, sounds fat and smooth and cuts through without that thin "jangly" edge, try the Alinco II pickups from Seymour Duncan. They really are the business.

The symour duncan range has something for everyone.  I fitted my mex tele with a set of hot Tele SDs and it sound absolutely awesome.  Its gone from being a guitar I used every now and then to the one I like best.  The Seymour Duncan site also allows you to hear the differet pickups so you get an idea what sound you're likely to end up with.