Why become a member? ×

EasyJet and Kala U-Bass

JES

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Canada but visiting Europe for a little over a month. I have a flight on EasyJet from Paris to Berlin at one point. Am I right from reading their policy that I could bring a Kala U-Bass (in the soft case) and a backpack on board? The Kala case is the UC-B on this page: http://www.kalabrand.com/ProductPages/BagsCasesU-BASS.html

Has anyone taken their U-Bass on an EasyJet flight? OK? Horror stories? Do you have advice?

Thanks for your thoughts.

JES

PS : Hi! I'm new here. Usually on Talkbass since I'm on that side of the pond but have benefitted from reading discussions here over the years. My U-Bass is strung with the Pyramid metal strings and I'm using it in a country band both for upright like thump and some old school tic-tack with a pick and the treble up. I'm bring it with to Europe so I have something to play while I'm over for 5 weeks.

Edited by JES

I haven't read the policy but my actual experience of many EasyJet flights is only one hand baggage of a maximum size.

If you have a second bag, like a ladies' handbag or a manbag, then that second bag must go into the hand baggage bag.

Furthermore, if the flight is crowded with hand baggage then you may be required to allow your hand baggage to go into the hold.

I've been bringing my bass guitar abroad recently and find most airlines are very helpful when it comes to accommodating musical instruments. Been asked did I want to bring it on board at no extra cost etc. My advice would be to ask nicely and hope for the best!

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1447432592' post='2907686']
I've been bringing my bass guitar abroad recently and find most airlines are very helpful when it comes to accommodating musical instruments. Been asked did I want to bring it on board at no extra cost etc. My advice would be to ask nicely and hope for the best!
[/quote]

MOST airlines, was Easyjet one of them?

What you are told in advance can have little baring in what will actually occur when you arrive at the airport. The budget airlines all have strict guidelines about the size of carry-on baggage and will not IME deviate from this. While some people might have been lucky in the past, my advice is always to assume that you instrument will have to go in the hold, and then you won't be in for any nasty surprises.

EasyJet charge extra for hold baggage, so most passengers will try to carry as much as possible as hand luggage. I was one of the final boarders on my last EasyJet flight and it was chaotic, as passengers searched for free space in the already crammed overhead lockers. So if you take your U-Bass, make sure you are on board early and keep an eye on it.

I'm lucky enough to be doing a lot of travelling the world with my U-Bass as a guest entertainer on cruise ships at the moment and have first-hand experience of this!

Flown with a good few airlines in the last year or so and unfortunately EasyJet are the only one that's ever had a problem with me taking my ubass as well as a backpack. This was enforced at the check-in desk(they asked us to show our hand-luggage to check it fit the rules before giving us our boarding passes) but I was able to purchase an upgrade- the flight was Manchester to Copenhagan so the upgrade was only £13 or so each for myself and our banjolele player to take our ukes as a second piece of hand luggage and be treated to about 5cm(if that haha) extra of legroom near the front of the plane... might that be on the day you can sneak it past them but otherwise it's probably worth the cash to not have to store it in the hold!

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

Easyjet have a specific policy for instruments with maximum sizes mostly aimed at accommodating orchestral instruments. The case must not exceed 30cm x 120cm x 38cm. I expect that would include a kala u bass but it excludes most guitars. It will be classed as your one piece of hand luggage so no bag as well, they are pretty strict on this and if the overhead lockers are full they'll bounce your instrument into the hold!