Why become a member? ×

ELO

lancer

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1447719572' post='2909829']
The keys player was an original ELO Band member - the only one I think.
[/quote]

Richard Tandy, goes back to the early days of ELO and the only one Jeff has kept any relationship with (though he doesn't seem to be on the new studio album at all!). Don't think he's even spoken to Bev Bevan for the best part of 30 years. I think it all got a bit touchy over the whole 'ELOII' thing.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1447751484' post='2909919']
Richard Tandy, goes back to the early days of ELO and the only one Jeff has kept any relationship with (though he doesn't seem to be on the new studio album at all!). Don't think he's even spoken to Bev Bevan for the best part of 30 years. I think it all got a bit touchy over the whole 'ELOII' thing.
[/quote]

Regarding him not being on the new album : its not just him - Jeff Lynne has produced the new Bryan Adams album, and he's also played pretty much everything on it too : guitar, bass, keys and drums. BA has done a lot of the guitars and vocals, and his regular lead player, Keith Scott, has done a good number of the solos, but other than that, it was all done in Jeff's house in the California hills, with just BA and Jeff.

It's a poor album too IMHO, with some weak material, and only a couple of the tracks would have made it to an album in his heyday. It's also been bulked out with acoustic versions of the tracks - almost in demo format. Fair enough as added extras, but they make up a good part of the actual album.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1447760659' post='2910034']
Regarding him not being on the new album : its not just him - Jeff Lynne has produced the new Bryan Adams album, and he's also played pretty much everything on it too : guitar, bass, keys and drums. BA has done a lot of the guitars and vocals, and his regular lead player, Keith Scott, has done a good number of the solos, but other than that, it was all done in Jeff's house in the California hills, with just BA and Jeff.

It's a poor album too IMHO, with some weak material, and only a couple of the tracks would have made it to an album in his heyday. It's also been bulked out with acoustic versions of the tracks - almost in demo format. Fair enough as added extras, but they make up a good part of the actual album.
[/quote]He played a track (the new single I guess) on that quality music show Strictly Come Dancing :huh: the other week. As it progressed it became clear he's re-written Summer of '69. Maybe it'll still be in set lists in 30 years?

It seems like Jeff's thing is now recording at home and pretty much doing all the instruments himself. That was how he did the completely unnecessary rerecorded Greatest Hits set a few years ago. The Mr Blue Sky doc gives a good account of it (available as a bonus feature of the Hyde Park DVD). Of course I bought that collection (because...) but thought that it was pretty sterile - too much tidied up and Jeff is also no Bev Bevan.

As to Richard Tandy being in the band. He's worked and off with Jeff for ages. There were some duo gigs for US TV/radio - Richard and Jeff - to promote the Greatest Hits (and some of those tracks ended up as bonus tracks on that). Whilst we would all love to see Jeff, Bev, Mik, Richard, Hugh and Melvyn on stage together again unless someone can borrow a Tardis that looks very unlikely :-(

As it was I saw ELO Pt 2 some years ago with Bev, Hugh, Melvyn and the sadly missed Kelly Groucutt handling bass and lead vocals at Guildford Civic Hall. That was one cracking gig!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1447791903' post='2910488']
It seems like Jeff's thing is now recording at home and pretty much doing all the instruments himself. That was how he did the completely unnecessary rerecorded Greatest Hits set a few years ago. The Mr Blue Sky doc gives a good account of it (available as a bonus feature of the Hyde Park DVD). Of course I bought that collection (because...) but thought that it was pretty sterile - too much tidied up and Jeff is also no Bev Bevan.

As to Richard Tandy being in the band. He's worked and off with Jeff for ages. There were some duo gigs for US TV/radio - Richard and Jeff - to promote the Greatest Hits (and some of those tracks ended up as bonus tracks on that). Whilst we would all love to see Jeff, Bev, Mik, Richard, Hugh and Melvyn on stage together again unless someone can borrow a Tardis that looks very unlikely :-(

As it was I saw ELO Pt 2 some years ago with Bev, Hugh, Melvyn and the sadly missed Kelly Groucutt handling bass and lead vocals at Guildford Civic Hall. That was one cracking gig!
[/quote]

I believe the re recording of the greatest hits was significantly influenced by the financials. JL received writers royalties on the originals, but I believe the performance royalties were poor, and he also had no control over the tracks. By re recording, he owns all the royalties and the actual ownership of the masters. It also cuts out all the ex band members I would imagine.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1447796023' post='2910559']
I believe the re recording of the greatest hits was significantly influenced by the financials. JL received writers royalties on the originals, but I believe the performance royalties were poor, and he also had no control over the tracks. By re recording, he owns all the royalties and the actual ownership of the masters. It also cuts out all the ex band members I would imagine.
[/quote]I wouldn't have thought Jeff needed the cash?

• 4 months later...

Thought it might be time for a thread resurrection as the tour kicks off in a couple of weeks. My mate (who tried in vain to get tickets for Nottingham originally) was on the 'reserve list' and it looks like some good seats, maybe originally intended as part of a VIP package but not used (not sure) have now been offered by the venue so we are going but at a criminal price. Fortunately both our birthdays are a week after the gig so some of the gig cost is being met by others in lieu of birthday presents which lessens the burden. So we'll be there, 5 rows from the great man himself. Once in a lifetime and all that.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1447431709' post='2907678']That is a silly price IMO. I saw Jerry Lee Lewis supported by Albert Lee and James Burton and they were £90 but I was 3 rows from the front[/quote]

Cropper was lined up prior to Albert Lee for those shows, I'd have gone of he hadn't had to pull out.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1447865321' post='2911086']
^^^ Quite a few times - I'm the bassist!!
[/quote]

Pete and I did a little business last year and he kindly arranged a couple of complementary tickets for the Southend gig. REALLY enjoyed the show and have bought tickets for this year - can heartily recommend it. I'll wave at you, Pete, from the balcony! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant gig last night at Nottingham arena. Almost a spiritual experience as this band (well, Jeff anyway) have been a backdrop to most of my formative years listening to music. Considering how many instruments and vocal mics the sound engineers had to contend with the mix was first rate, as good as I've ver heard it in that venue. Won't put any set spoilers in as this was only the second night of the tour and I know there are others here who have tickets for upcoming shows. You won't be disappointed on last night's showing. B)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1460109262' post='3022614']
Brilliant gig last night at Nottingham arena. Almost a spiritual experience as this band (well, Jeff anyway) have been a backdrop to most of my formative years listening to music. Considering how many instruments and vocal mics the sound engineers had to contend with the mix was first rate, as good as I've ver heard it in that venue. Won't put any set spoilers in as this was only the second night of the tour and I know there are others here who have tickets for upcoming shows. You won't be disappointed on last night's showing. B)
[/quote]

I saw them in Manchester last night and echo Kevb's excellent summary of the gig he went to. Sound was superb - best I've heard in the arena and the visuals were very impressive. The quality of musicianship was as you would expect - outstanding. Only downside - with an audience of advancing years the queue for the bogs were challenging! Top night. Hope others that have tickets for the rest of the tour enjoy it as much as I did.

I saw them in Brum last night. It was stunning. The sound quality was just amazing. The band were spot in n. He is such a humble man.
I meet Jeff and Bev Bevan in Boogies night club in Birmingham in 1986. I was 16 ( under aged for a club) I can only assume they went somewhere, where they thought no one would know them. I saw them went up and said your Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan and to my Joy they denied it. Once they realised I was the only person in the club who knew who they were. They relaxed and we had a good chat. I still have the signed Embassy NO 6 packet they signed.
I have to thank my older brother Francis for my musical education and introduction to ELO.

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1460925070' post='3029895']
How long have you been with the band. I think I saw you in Bromsgrove in 2014?
[/quote] I've been with the band for 5 years now, so would have been me then.
( Actually played Bromsgrove again last Saturday too. )
Last night we were in Worcester, whilst Jeff's ELO were only 20 miles or so away in Brum!!
Quite a few of our band went to see him in Manchester recently and were blown away how good it was.

I was at the Brum show last night too...I was hoping that Roy Wood might pop out for a quick kick around the park, but sadly not. Great band, great set, great sound. I loath arena shows generally, but this was done just right.