Why become a member? ×

New Berg cab for us?

Owen

[b] [size=3]Looks interesting. [/size][/b]

[size=3]http://bergantino.com/product/hg310-loudspeaker/[/size]

[b] Product Description[/b]

[b]HG310 ‘Holo-Graphic’ 3-10″ & Tweeter Acoustic Instrument Loudspeaker[/b]
The Bergantino Audio Systems ‘Holo-Graphic’ HG series of lightweight speaker cabinets break the barrier of 2-dimensional sound. Three woofers are mated to a lightweight sealed cabinet with 2 facing forward and a third facing rearward. This speaker orientation generates a 3-dimensional soundstage that makes any acoustic or solid-body instrument come alive and project a superior depth of sound. The HG310 is the perfect speaker cabinet to reproduce all acoustic instruments including guitar, mandolin, upright bass, acoustic bass guitar, banjo and violin. It will also transform your solid-body violin, viola, cello or upright bass from a single point source into a 360-degree experience.
When the HG310 is combined with the Bergantino B|Amp and dedicated profile, you get an excellent acoustic instrument speaker. B|AMP feature’s such as a variable high-pass filter, variable feedback filter and speaker phase reverse capability, combine to give you the ultimate amplification system for acoustic instruments. The precision tuned cabinet architecture and the enclosure is built with the finest lightweight Italian poplar plywood (with Baltic birch baffle board) selected to our specifications. This lightweight cabinet material (along with the lightweight magnet material) helps reduce the overall cabinet weight. A rigid black grille is added to protect the drivers from damage.
Like all Bergantino Audio loudspeakers, the internal components used are extremely high quality and they are of Bergantino design. No ‘off-the-shelf’ parts are used. Woofers with Neodymium magnet material are used for the low frequency section of the HG series cabinets, resulting in a very clear sound, punchy low-end, sweet midrange and reduced weight. The HG series cabinets have a High Intelligibility Compression Driver w/ Constant Directivity Horn to ensure consistent coverage from the lowest to the highest frequencies. This horn is mated to the tri-woofer arrangement through a custom designed phase-coherent crossover with a tweeter control. The HG series cabinets are covered in durable vintage Bordeaux tolex, have mounted rubber feet and include a high-impact metal grill for durability and acoustical transparency.[list]
[*]Woofer: 3-10” Neodymium Magnet Woofers
[*]Tweeter: High Intelligibility Compression Driver w/ Constant Directivity Horn
[*]Cabinet Design: Sealed
[*]Cabinet Material: Lightweight Italian Poplar w/ Birch Baffle
[*]Cabinet Covering: Vintage Bordeaux Tolex
[*]Impedance: 5.3-ohms
[*]Power Handling: 600W RMS
[*]Crossover: Custom Phase-Coherent Crossover w/ Tweeter Control
[*]Frequency Response: 43hZ – 15KhZ
[*]Sensitivity: 99db @ 2.83v / 1-meter
[*]Dimensions: 22-3/4”H x 18-1/2”W x 12-1/2”D
[*]Weight: 36 Lbs.
[*]ProNet Price: $1199.00
[/list]

I've got too many as it is, eight at the last count. But the new technology could be a game-changer, perhaps. Of more interest is the Remic mic that is attracting a lot of interest; it slips easily under the tailpiece and there is a studio model and a gigging version which is more feedback resistant.

Then there is the Grace Designs Felix, an outboard preamp, blender, sophisticated eq that seems to do everything very well. Pop down to your local corner shop and get the two for a cool £1600.

Edited by bassace

I've spoken to drummers who don't like rear ports on bass cabs because they get "overwhelmed" by the sound. A rear facing speaker will probably cause a lot more of the same reaction.

Jim Bergantino is a genius with bass cabs. I'd be interested to see how this works in practice.

As I see it, the double bass has two f-holes facing forward. If there was an advantage in having additional ones at the rear and at the side DB evolution would have got to that place by now. But it hasn't.

Just a bit of Friday mischief-making, you understand.

• 3 months later...

I've been using an Audiokinesis cab with a secondary rear firing tweeter for a few years now. That can work very well for my EUB in certain very specific situations, FWIW. Duke LeJeune has done quite a few other riffs on that sort of idea in some of his other builds too, for instance this prototype 4 X 8 that I had here for a while:

If that Berg cab was at NAMM I managed to miss it, and I was at Jim's booth a fair amount. His new amp would be fantastic for doublers though, I think.