Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird neck dive solution.

Phil Starr

Hoping to go into the annals of fame with this one.

All sorts of solutions from thick straps to hanging weights onto the bass but none work without problems.

Playing the other day, wishing I could get the sound without the dive, when I looked down and thought 'if only I had a third point to attach the strap to the body of the bass' (where the lower part of the strap emerges from behind the body). I looked across at my skinny string and the light bulb went off. I removed the capo, clipped the strap to the Tbirds beautiful but flawed body and hey presto! The out of body experience of a Tbird I didn't have to struggle with. No more twisting in my hands and no neck dive at all. with the business end of the capo being the only bit showing it didn't look too bad either. I'm sure I can work out a better clip but the T'bird is going to get a lot more use now.

you can thank me later :)

Edited by Phil Starr

Hmm, I can't picture this. If you could post a photo, demonstrating your idea that would be great
I don't play a Thunderbird myself, but my son does. He loves the look of the bass, but like several others, doesn't like the neck dive

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1447239627' post='2905959']
I can't believe just how many people play with only one hand; are you not limiting yourself a bit by just playing E,A,D & G?
[/quote]

Not a problem with my band :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1447239361' post='2905958']
I had to read it a couple of times, but I think the OP has clipped his strap to the top of the bass as it rises from the bridge strap button, near the elbow of your plucking hand. I can see how that might prevent "top tilt" but not necessarily neck dive
[/quote]

That's it, and yes I did it to stop the tilt but it seems to have sorted the dive too. The bass sits against my body a bit better I suppose.
[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1447236439' post='2905929']
I found the best cure for a Tbird neck dive is a P bass.

You can thank me later :)
[/quote]

That's the solution I came up with. A lovely American Deluxe. I only gigged my Gibson for one gig. The sound was monstrous and it turns you into a real poser as you haul it back upright but after about an hour I found I was getting really sore lower arm muscles from adjusting for the twist, halfway through the second gig I had to abandon it and sold it shortly after but I missed playing it and went for a Japanese copy. Now I have the delicious problem of choice for gigs and a pang for the one that got away. It sounded so good.....

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1447260179' post='2906224']
Helium filled balloons tied to the headstock will cure it as well, look nice, and if enough are used can give the player an aerial view of the audience.
[/quote]Is this why your location is halfway up the stairs?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1447452557' post='2907834']
What is neck dive? I gig with a 1991 Gibson Thunderbird. I just put it on and play. Nothing is diving.

Blue
[/quote][attachment=204988:heads up strap before after pic.jpg]

Edited by timmo

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1447452557' post='2907834']
What is neck dive? I gig with a 1991 Gibson Thunderbird. I just put it on and play. Nothing is diving.

Blue
[/quote]

It may not be a problem for you, and I'm happy to hear that. That doesn't alter the fact that the centre of gravity of a T'bird is well to the right of the centre point between the two strap buttons (in a right handed bass). It's also slightly forward of the centre line hence the bass twists.

If you use a normal strap and walk around without holding your T'bird the neck will dive and eventually make contact with the floor. The number of T'birds for sale with repaired necks is testament to that and is one of the first things to check if you buy a used one. The forums are full of discussion about this and people (including eventually Gibson) have routinely moved the upper strap button to cure the problem you say doesn't exist.

I'm sure you can get used to anything and I understand why people love this bass. Apart from looking cool they have a great sound, wonderful sustain a fabulous neck and weigh nothing compared to the usual culprits. I run the PA as well as playing bass, I dance and get the audience clapping along during our show so a bass that moves is no good for me at a practical level. I need both hands for my performance. Clamping the strap to the body effectively creates a new fixing point for the strap and the centre of gravity then sits on the centre line for the two strap fixings, problem cured.

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1447576968' post='2908564']
In the middle of my left hand where my fingers meet my palm, there's a bit there that goes underneath the neck of a bass.
The trick here is that conveniently, that hand is connected to my arm and as long as I remember to take my arm to the gig I don't have a problem with neck dive.
[/quote]

I don't get it! Can you post pics of what you mean?! :yarr: