Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1454396022' post='2969238']

One thing that I did notice about my own pedal is that the rotary edit/bank knob sometimes "jumps" to the next setting "on its own", so yes - not the absolute best experience, but still a pretty negligible issue in practice.
[/quote]

That is quite a big flaw in a live application surely? Even if it only happens once in a blue moon, it's still a worry that is rather not have... at a gig

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1460478655' post='3026075']
That is quite a big flaw in a live application surely? Even if it only happens once in a blue moon, it's still a worry that is rather not have... at a gig
[/quote]
I actually haven't used this pedal in a while now (most of my pedalboard is alas packed in crates), but IIRC the worst that can happen is that the active parameter changes by one notch. Not a big deal for most of them.

I've been messing about with mine this week. Patch 85 is Thriller's bass!

Anyone found the knobs a bit wobbly compared to the Deep Impact? Has anyone tried editing patches in the software editor yet?

Also, the edit/patch knob isn't indented making it easy to overshoot the desired patch.

All niggles though. Where the Deep Impact was a pedal that made bass synth noises, the Future Impact is an authentic bass synth in pedal format.

Just received an email saying mine will be ready to ship within days. From what I've seen on heard (physical niggles aside) this is an amazing (sounding) pedal. I'm thinking of hooking it up to my recently purchased Eventide pitch factor, so I can control some of the filters via midi using an expression pedal. Running before I can walk perhaps, but sounds like it could be fun.

Edited by vintage_ben

[quote name='vintage_ben' timestamp='1460878563' post='3029422']
Just received an email saying mine will be ready to ship within days. From what I've seen on heard (physical niggles aside) this is an amazing (sounding) pedal. I'm thinking of hooking it up to my recently purchased Eventide pitch factor, so I can control some of the filters via midi using an expression pedal. Running before I can walk perhaps, but sounds like it could be fun.
[/quote]

I tried the Pitchfactor with my Deep Impact - it was OK but the Pitchfactor tended to compress things a little making it sound slightly less analogue and rich. The arpeggiator was fun though but its a massive faff to get around the factory arpeggio presets so I sold it. Really wish someone out there would make a non MIDI programmable arp pedal...a couple like the Pitchfactor get so close but there's always something that detracts from useability with bass synth.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1460960393' post='3030057']

I tried the Pitchfactor with my Deep Impact - it was OK but the Pitchfactor tended to compress things a little making it sound slightly less analogue and rich.
[/quote]

I guess that's to be expected. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

• 2 weeks later...

mine arrived a few days ago :D

i have never purchased a pedal that i have been entirely happy with :gas:

I would probably call it my first bass pedal to actually exceed expectations :) Tracking is largely faultless, and the footprint is smaller than expected. It sounds INSANE through the meatbox!

well done Panda audio!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1460960393' post='3030057']
I tried the Pitchfactor with my Deep Impact - it was OK but the Pitchfactor tended to compress things a little making it sound slightly less analogue and rich. The arpeggiator was fun though but its a massive faff to get around the factory arpeggio presets so I sold it. Really wish someone out there would make a non MIDI programmable arp pedal...a couple like the Pitchfactor get so close but there's always something that detracts from useability with bass synth.
[/quote]

Do you really mean [b]NON[/b] MIDI programmable?

These days I'd be very reluctant to buy anything but the simplest of devices (3 knobs or less) that didn't have programmability and MIDI control. Besides I think that you'll find anything that requires a micro-processor for it's main function usually has enough spare processing power for programmability and MIDI control to be trivial add ons.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461757005' post='3037339']
Do you really mean [b]NON[/b] MIDI programmable?
[/quote]
Yep. The pitchfactor arpeggiates though pitch shifing and it has tap tempo for on the fly adjustments. All of the MIDI based arp pedals I've seen so far use a waveform generator which is less useful for using with the Future Impact.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1462380094' post='3042562']
I'm currently waiting for mine. Any day now. I never played with the original so I'd be no use regarding how it compares to the older one.
[/quote]

Better send it to me then :)

Just played a bit with mine yesterday, simply going through the presets... uffff, soooo many possibilities! It sounds great, I'm going to have to spend some serious time on this, editing and figuring out what the different parameters do... really cool! :)

Has anyone else been confused with the payment method they are offering? Mine is ready but I can't for the life of me work out what they are trying to make me do? I signed up for Transferwise and followed their instructions but they are saying about using the code I am given by Transferwise to make payment using my online banking? Any ideas? They have stopped using Paypal for some stupid reason.

Also, is there import duty to pay from an item sent from Hungary?

Edited by funkyjimbob

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1463064933' post='3048250']
Has anyone else been confused with the payment method they are offering? Mine is ready but I can't for the life of me work out what they are trying to make me do? I signed up for Transferwise and followed their instructions but they are saying about using the code I am given by Transferwise to make payment using my online banking? Any ideas? They have stopped using Paypal for some stupid reason.

Also, is there import duty to pay from an item sent from Hungary?
[/quote]

They stopped using Paypal because they end up paying a lot more in fees I assume. I am not a fan of Paypal, it's convenient but they've messed me about a few times and they are not quick to act. For example, once I had over £600 in my Paypal account (I had just sold a couple of things and didn't bother to transfer the cash to my bank as I was going to use it again), and used Paypal to pay for a beautiful 5-string g&L L2500. However, I was in Spain at the time. Paypal realised my location had changed and blocked the account. Fair enough, they are serious about security. You'd imagine that a phone call followed by an email perhaps providing some kind of id or whatever would fix the matter, right? Good luck with that. It took me over a week for my payment to be accepted and for me to have access to my account again. Remember my account wasn't empty either.
If this happens with a bank it gets sorted immediately. Good luck trying to fix anything quickly with Paypal. They're the experts at stalling.

Now, Transferwise... I had never used it before I had to pay for my Future Impact pedal, but I just signed up, entered the details they asked (mine and recipient's), and that was it.
I don't remember any code of any kind :huh:
I paid with funds from my bank, using my bank card (Visa debit)... not sure if paying as a bank transfer changes matters. If your bank card is a debit card (likely) I'd use that as the result is the same, but it was definitely straight forward when I used it.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463066591' post='3048274']
They stopped using Paypal because they end up paying a lot more in fees I assume. I am not a fan of Paypal, it's convenient but they've messed me about a few times and they are not quick to act. For example, once I had over £600 in my Paypal account (I had just sold a couple of things and didn't bother to transfer the cash to my bank as I was going to use it again), and used Paypal to pay for a beautiful 5-string g&L L2500. However, I was in Spain at the time. Paypal realised my location had changed and blocked the account. Fair enough, they are serious about security. You'd imagine that a phone call followed by an email perhaps providing some kind of id or whatever would fix the matter, right? Good luck with that. It took me over a week for my payment to be accepted and for me to have access to my account again. Remember my account wasn't empty either.
If this happens with a bank it gets sorted immediately. Good luck trying to fix anything quickly with Paypal. They're the experts at stalling.

Now, Transferwise... I had never used it before I had to pay for my Future Impact pedal, but I just signed up, entered the details they asked (mine and recipient's), and that was it.
I don't remember any code of any kind :huh:
I paid with funds from my bank, using my bank card (Visa debit)... not sure if paying as a bank transfer changes matters. If your bank card is a debit card (likely) I'd use that as the result is the same, but it was definitely straight forward when I used it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Did you pay any duty?

They told me to use Transferwise to find a code then use my online banking software and that code to make the payment which ha got me a bit confused to be honest.

Edited by funkyjimbob

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1463067895' post='3048298']
Thanks for the reply.

Did you pay any duty?

They told me to use Transferwise to find a code then use my online banking software and that code to make the payment which ha got me a bit confused to be honest.
[/quote]

I didn't hear anything about codes.

I didn't pay duty this time. They sent me a direct link as they got some kind of deal where the first X customers don't pay fees (I guess they're new and need to make themselves known and spread), so that's that, but when people have used it to pay for Maruszczyk basses they ended up paying £2-3 which is a lot less than by standard transfer. Check the Maruszczyk thread, a few people use Transferwise there and may be able to help more.

I've just come home from holiday to find mine waiting for me. This pedal is absolutely awesome. Having some fun with the pitch factor to get some thick harmonised synth sounds.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1462377057' post='3042534']
This may be 'distortion' in the sound engineer sense rather than the guitarist/bassist sense.
[/quote]
Check out an earlier post in this thread. There was a regular distortion circuit in the original DI apparently. It is very evident in some of the patches on the FI.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1463069786' post='3048329']
Sorry I meant import duty into the UK. I'm sure I've ordered from Hungary before and been charged at customs.
[/quote]
Hungary is in the EU, so you pay their VAT, but no UK VAT or import duty. They joined in '04, so if you ordered before then, UK tax and duty might have applied.

Edited by vintage_ben

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1463069786' post='3048329']
Sorry I meant import duty into the UK. I'm sure I've ordered from Hungary before and been charged at customs.
[/quote]

oh, no duty... it's European Union!