Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

Still nothing?

I see complaints about tracking and latency over on TB, keen to learn more!

I also read over there a lot of people hoping they don't get charged any custom/tax fees on arrival...but then saying they want their EU VAT refunded. Having their cake and eating it somewhat! ;)

I have no DI experience so cannot comment. As far as I am concerned the latency thing is a total non issue. If I play 2 notes at the same time it wobbles, as I would expect it to. As does my OC2. It is monophonic. Tracking is fine and dandy.

Edited by owen

I've had mine a few days. It's very good. Tracking works well. The occasional glitch, but usually musical sounding. Tracks all the way down my B string, works fine on fretless etc, responds well to fast playing etc.

Occasionally, when playing legato, it hangs on to a note instead of changing pitch. For example, playing root - fifth - octave, it often holds on the root all the way through. I haven't tweaked the Note On and Off Levels much, and hopefully there are some other settings available in the editor to fine tune this.

From my memory of the Deep Impact, the Future is crisper sounding, with a much wider range of sounds available, plus Akai Unibass pitch shifted guitar sounds and effects.

There's lots of programs available. Like all synths, it has a some pretty wacky ones designed to show off the pedal but with little practical application. But there's enough there that I'm confident I can get it to do what I need.

Waiting on the mac editor so I can move sounds around and start playing with all the parameters.

The one thing I don't like about it is that the parameter knob is not stepped - it's an ordinary potentiometer, so it's a little bit hit and miss lining it up with the label of each parameter. There's a 'gap' in between parameters that helps a little, but a stepped knob like the Deep Impact would have been better.

Edited by phagor

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1451905241' post='2944371']
The Deep Impact does that too.
[/quote]

Yeah, the guy who is talking of tracking issues is comparing it to a Boss sy-300 or Roland v-bass which are very different animals from the FI.

I have the FI, it does exactly what I expected it to do, and I can count the amount of times a piece of kit has lived up to my expectations on 2 fingers.

I would record demos, but they would sound very similar to the ones Lokki has put up already.

Edited by owen

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1451906392' post='2944381']
Yeah, the guy who is talking of tracking issues is comparing it to a Boss sy-300 or Roland v-bass which are very different animals from the FI.
[/quote]

Which is going to be a bit of an issue for them I think. The DI is perfect because of its imperfections.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1451906392' post='2944381']
[/quote]

Hmm. I don't think that the SY300 tracks that well... Wonder what that means then...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1451914634' post='2944487']
Hmm. I don't think that the SY300 tracks that well... Wonder what that means then...
[/quote]

He was discussing fast octaves and stuff so I guess the monophonic element of the FI was hampering that without SUPER clean playing and damping.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1451915021' post='2944491']
He was discussing fast octaves and stuff so I guess the monophonic element of the FI was hampering that without SUPER clean playing and damping.
[/quote]

I have no issues doing this with the DI. What I've found to be of benefit with the DI is a hot input signal. Especially with passive basses.... I use a status which has an 18v pre and that goes a long way to helping get the best out of the unit.... of course I don't know if its the same with the FI as I'm waiting to receive my order

I can confirm that the tracking on the Future Impact is absolutely a non-issue, it's very, very good with both my 18V active and passive basses, and roundwound/flatwound strings. I also regularly gig with the original Deep Impact, and this new pedal is SPOT ON. It not only replicates some of the key sounds that I get out of my original, it offers many more possibilities with it's 99 patches and MIDI capabilities (which I have not yet explored, but it sounds promising).

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' timestamp='1451932720' post='2944756']
I can confirm that the tracking on the Future Impact is absolutely a non-issue, it's very, very good with both my 18V active and passive basses, and roundwound/flatwound strings. I also regularly gig with the original Deep Impact, and this new pedal is SPOT ON. It not only replicates some of the key sounds that I get out of my original, it offers many more possibilities with it's 99 patches and MIDI capabilities (which I have not yet explored, but it sounds promising).
[/quote]

That sounds great, cheers :)

Guys, can I ask a question: I use a Unibass for its octave + 5th sound, and send it through the unit's separate, 'wet' output into a guitar fx/amp for filling out the mix at a gig.

Does the FI have

a) a wet-only signal output, leaving the dry signal untouched from another output, and

B) can it generate multiple layers; say, an octave above the bass, plus a 5th, another octave over that etc? So I can play power chords from one bass note, and process them separately?

Thanks

SiH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZB1hW-0Hag

My very quick comparison between the Deep Impact and Future Impact, using 2 settings I commonly use live. This is after ~10 mins of playing with the settings, but you get the idea. The lowest note I hit is a low E to test the tracking on the sub octave synth setting(!) For reference, that's an 18V active bass with roundwound strings.

My shoddy playing at the beginning does the original Deep Impact a disservice (sorry Akai).

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' timestamp='1451945326' post='2944965']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZB1hW-0Hag"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OZB1hW-0Hag[/url]

My very quick comparison between the Deep Impact and Future Impact, using 2 settings I commonly use live. This is after ~10 mins of playing with the settings, but you get the idea. The lowest note I hit is a low E to test the tracking on the sub octave synth setting(!) For reference, that's an 18V active bass with roundwound strings.

My shoddy playing at the beginning does the original Deep Impact a disservice (sorry Akai).
[/quote]

Sounds great. Seems the FI is somewhat 'cleaner' sounding than the Deep Impact, going back to what Toasted said earlier a big draw to the Deep Impact was its imperfections.

One of the things I didn't like about the Deep Impact was it was a little polite in its bite for my taste (which is probably why some guys like to run it into other dirt further down the chain).

The Future Impact sounds better to my ears but I can't really justify the price to have something which I would most likely only use at home.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' timestamp='1451945326' post='2944965']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZB1hW-0Hag"]https://www.youtube....h?v=OZB1hW-0Hag[/url]

[/quote]

Must get the settings for that 2nd sound you use :0)