Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal vs Parametric EQ pedal?

AinsleyWalker

I've been looking at the old Boss PQ-3B to have after my dirty section to scoop out some harshness from my Rat and Big Muff, I hear they're really good, better than say the GEB-7 or graphic EQs on the whole.
But I've also been looking at preamp pedals and was wondering if what the major differences are between a preamp pedal and a parametric EQ? Or which people prefer for this application (or similar)?

Thanks!

I would say an eq pedal is more to sculpt the existing sound you have, where as a preamp amp pedal is more to 'create' your tone. From my experience anyway... I'm sure not all preamp pedals (or eq pedals) work the same. I've found that preamps generally colour the sound in order roamed it sounds like that type of preamp, where eq pedals are transparent.

No doubt someone will come along and tell I'm wrong but that's just my experience. Haha

Fraser

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1448217001' post='2913767']
The PQ3B Isnt a true parametric, the bandwidth is fixed for each of the 3 ranges.I prefer the GE7B ovr the PQ3B there is more overall sound shaping ability.
[/quote]

Cool, I ended up getting a GE-7B actually. Works really well after my dirty pedals.

Edited by AinsleyWalker