Why become a member? ×

Perils of gigging in Hastings

Woodinblack

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1447061827' post='2904412']
Oh God - it's the female equivalent of JedWard!

They're obviously upset enough about it that they've using a photo of it on their FaceBook page.

Warning: some pictures of half naked girls:
[url="https://m.facebook.com/TheSoapGirls/"]https://m.facebook.com/TheSoapGirls/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes there is a photo, and underneath a serious piece of writing regarding sexism and abuse:

[i]We would like to make the following statement for you our fans especially and in support of #‎antisexism due to recent events; Both myself and my sister Mie have never been sexually active this doesnt make us any better or any less than another person and being maliciously attacked for being #‎Sluts which as being virgins we cant take personal offense to however we take offense to the use of the word applied to any females even if we were 'sluts' Nobody has the right to infringe on another persons right to #‎freedom of #‎expression. We stand against #‎Judgement and #‎abuse and are all for each and every persons right to being all that you are as a person!! [/i]
[edit]

If the story of the gig is true then the guy that did it (organised it) should be done for assault, simple as that.

[i][color=#141823]Paul Tublord I own the venue .. I told Maisy and caldog to throw the blood ... The soap girls are the epitome of all that is wrong with the music scene. These girls are sell out sluts exploiting themselves a[/color][color=#141823]nd damaging the feminist movement.[/color][/i]

If this is accurate then this guy is a pr*ck. "[i]Damaging the feminist movement[/i]" ? Does he even understand what he's saying??!
Right thinking men should stand firmly against the derogatory term of abuse "sluts" that is so often casually aimed at women! :) #heforshe

Edited by tedmanzie

Sure am for real, Steve. I'm old enough (61) to remember punk. I wouldn't go near some of the venues I used to frequent back then. Used to come home with gob all over me some nights. The venue owner here is obviously a dick. But that doesn't alter the fact that if you present yourself as "punk", flash the flesh and play (mime) at those sorts of places, you can hardy expect people to be dressed in dinner jackets and ball gowns and talking naicely to you. It ain't the X Factor ;-)

I have no idea why the word "punk" keeps being used in this thread; neither throwing fake blood over a band or even the band in question are "punk". There now I've said it twice too!

The landlord is an arse, it doesn't matter how bad a band are you don't act like that (especially as he should have at least listened to them once before booking) - they should sue him, post it all over the internet and contact the local press (which it seems they're doing some of at least).

If this had been my band there would have been no playing on, no being nice & very little of the venue left un-smashed.

Edited by Lw.

The Soap Girls played a gig with us this past weekend at T.Chances in Tottenham. To be honest, when I saw them there, I thought they were a hen party who'd got lost. :D The bass player (who was rocking a nice Warwick Vampyre) wasn't actually wearing a top - just body paint! The guitarist had some very nice gear, including a mirror-finish Ibanez Jem77 and some expensive pedals. And, lo and behold, they could actually play. They weren't very good, but they could play. What happened to them in Hastings was sh!tty and the guy was obviously a prize dick.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1447248697' post='2906087']
I've also heard a lot worse (including some bands I've played in :) ) [b]which is what makes me think the whole thing is a publicity stunt.[/b]
[/quote]
So, the owner/perpetrator is in on it! What's in it for him? Do you think more people will visit his pub knowing that he is not averse to assaulting young women?

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1447250306' post='2906123']

So, the owner/perpetrator is in on it! What's in it for him? Do you think more people will visit his pub knowing that he is not averse to assaulting young women?
[/quote]

No one said it was a particularly clever publicity stunt :D

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1447250306' post='2906123']
[/quote]

Actually, I was thinking more of a stunt by the band and Pete Way (who originally posted the story on Facebook, then mentioned HIS new album at the end of the post) But (and this is a big but) as someone once said "any publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right"

I just get the feeling there is more to this than meets the eye.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1447258061' post='2906202']
Actually, I was thinking more of a stunt by the band and Pete Way (who originally posted the story on Facebook, [b]then mentioned HIS new album at the end of the post[/b]) But (and this is a big but) as someone once said "any publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right"

I just get the feeling there is more to this than meets the eye.
[/quote]
Yeah, clumsy bit of self promotion - nothing more! IMV