Why become a member? ×

Perils of gigging in Hastings

Woodinblack

An interesting thing from Pete Ways (the one from UFO) facebook page

[size=4][url="https://www.facebook.com/PeteWayofficial/photos/a.175270515881499.41629.157854404289777/900069520068258/?type=3"]https://www.facebook...0068258/?type=3[/url][/size]

[i][size=4][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Soap Girls, the act I have been helping out and working with, had a really awful experience when playing The Union Bar in Hastings a couple of days ago. The venue owner treated them quite appallingly and instigated the throwing of a bucket of fake 'blood' over them during their set which trashed their instruments and it could've easily ended in tragedy and electrocution. The liquid went into t[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]heir eyes causing burning. Their mics were also smashed into their faces causing cuts and bruises to their faces and rendering the mics unusable. Despite all of this and to their credit the girls finished their set! I know male bands who would've caved under such abuse. I am very proud of them and I would ask for the decent, true music fans out there boycott this venue. This appalling behaviour is completely unacceptable. Bands expect to be booked to play their set not physically abused.[/font][/color][/size][/i]

[size=4][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So the response from the owner was:[/font][/color][/size]
[i][size=4][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Paul Tublord I own the venue .. I told Maisy and caldog to throw the blood ... The soap girls are the epitome of all that is wrong with the music scene. These girls are sell out sluts exploiting themselves a[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nd damaging the feminist movement. No one would even be talking about this gig if Maisy hadn't of done that. That gig is probably the most punk rock gig they will ever play. If this band ever play a U.K. Festival no doubt they would be pelted with bottles of piss. They should stick to working in a lap dancing club.[/font][/color][/size][/i]

[size=4]So as he obviously had seen their facebook page, and listened to all their music on their site, and their youtube performances, and hired them and promoted (or is that exploited) them on his page, he then decides they are 'sluts' and 'damaging the music scene' and feminism. [/size]
[size=4]I guess he didn't get what he was expecting in some way. [/size]

[size=4]Personally, I don't think I would particularly go and see them as I am not a big punk fan, but I wouldn't assault them either. Guess he is lucky he wasn't around when Wendy O Williams was gigging. Might have had a different outcome![/size]

Edited by Woodinblack

I don't think you should dis the whole of Hastings - for the behaviour of one lunatic bar owner! He probably has a personal problem with one or more of the Soap Girls :rolleyes: which got out of hand - but who in their right mind has a bucket of 'blood' ready to throw at an act?

I hope they sue him!

I see the SGs advertise themselves as "Rock Punk post Grunge with pop sensibilities". Something for everyone, then, in the modern little-bit-of-everything-but-not-too much-of-anything world (let's keep it fun for all the family, boyz n' girlz)... They can hardly complain if things get a bit too, er, punk, can they? BTW, what's this doing on a bass players' site? As far as I can see, neither of the SGs plays bass.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1446981390' post='2903851']
BTW, what's this doing on a bass players' site? As far as I can see, neither of the SGs plays bass.
[/quote]

Well, it would be hard to tell unless you do some real digging like, oh I don't know, looking at their profile picture or any picture of them on stage where you might notice one of their guitars has less than 6 strings and is a bit longer?

But I know what you mean, it is rare for any topic that is not directly about bass guitars to be here :rolleyes:

I saw a documentary a few years ago about a similar incident at a high school prom in the US.

The landlord is lucky that none of the girls used their psychokinetic powers to slaughter everyone in the building then burn it to the ground.

Last time I played in Hastings - in a previous band - it ended with our Female guitarist threatening to throw a table through the pub window, after the owner decided (after we'd finished and packed away) that we should have gone on for longer, and as such didn't warrant the full and agreed fee.

However, following the six-stringers' intervention, we got paid! :)

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1446982082' post='2903861']
I meant plays bass, not holds one for effect. Their stuff looks to be karaoke - sung over an electronic backing track
[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmdTC0Y37k

I looked on youtube. Seems they are bloody good at acting then, they can even fake the noises guitars and bases make when you move your hands around on them.

I played in the Pavilion (?) on the front a few years ago with a Trad Band. Half way through our first set a loud beat combo started up in the adjoining room, separated from us by a thin partition. All very strange, but they didn't trouble us when we were playing, only between tunes.

Good acting is right. Look carefully Woodin. What the hands are doing doesn't match the sounds, especially the guitar. The picking hand is floating just around the bottom E, in a regular pattern and full chords, with rhythmic accents are magically happening. The bass player looks to be using all 4 right hand fingers, but the notes don't match.

With respect, that's [s]boll...[/s] not right. If they can mime that well, I'd say they can play 'live', no sweat. There's nothing amiss with the guitar (I'm not saying it's good playing, of course; just that it's not miming...). Same for the bass, even down to knob-twisting at the appropriate moment. I'm not sure that everyone's attention is on the fingering details with such an act, and I wouldn't pay much to see 'em, but they're not cheating. 'Twould be better if they were, the vocals could do with a bit more 'quality', I'd say. No reason for slinging stuff at 'em, though; that's just plain ol' assault. Not my 'cam' at all, but fair game as a punk protest, imo.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1446981390' post='2903851']
I see the SGs advertise themselves as "Rock Punk post Grunge with pop sensibilities". Something for everyone, then, in the modern little-bit-of-everything-but-not-too much-of-anything world (let's keep it fun for all the family, boyz n' girlz)... [b]They can hardly complain if things get a bit too, er, punk, can they?[/b] BTW, what's this doing on a bass players' site? As far as I can see, neither of the SGs plays bass.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1447005284' post='2904085']
Good acting is right. Look carefully Woodin. What the hands are doing doesn't match the sounds, especially the guitar. The picking hand is floating just around the bottom E, in a regular pattern and full chords, with rhythmic accents are magically happening. The bass player looks to be using all 4 right hand fingers, but the notes don't match.
[/quote]
Dan Dare, are you for real??
What the f*** does it matter if these girls were actually playing or not? If the owner has a problem with this type of act (of which there are many), then he should do his research and NOT book them. The guy's a thug! He and his staff should be dealt with accordingly.
Oh, and do you suppose the owner would have tried it if they were two 6' 6" hairy a**ed geezers..? Now, that would've been "punk".