Why become a member? ×

EQ pedal - Good model suggestions? Before or after Fuzz/Dist?

AinsleyWalker

So I recently bought a 1980 Little Big Muff, it sounds good with bass but I feel like in a live setting it could do with a bit more low end.
I also really want to get a Rat but I've heard people having similar issues.

I've never used an EQ pedal with bass before, anyone have any suggestions for which ones are good for this kind of thing?
And also would they be better before or after any dirty pedals (I'd assume before, but I see a lot of people use after.)

Thanks!

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1446757560' post='2902192']
EQing back in freq.s that have been taken out is hard. Id suggest either look at using a loop pedal with a blend, or getting it MODed to let more low end threw (though youd have to find someone else to help there).
[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking it would perhaps not sound quite the same. I did ask yesterday about where/who can do bass-boosting type mods on drive type pedals but didn't get an answer :(

If you are after a low budget eq pedal I would look at a caline Cp24. I have had mine for a couple of months now and its been excellent so far, its a real solid build for such a low price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caline-CP-24-10-Band-Equalizer-Aluminium/dp/B00OQ1GAJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446814066&sr=8-1&keywords=caline+cp+24

I would use it after the Fuzz pedal that way you can dial out some of the harsh mid to high frequencies. Just by doing that you might find that you have enough low end with out having to boost anything.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1446765514' post='2902274']
MXR 10 band graphic works brilliantly for me. I'd put it before the fuzz.
[/quote]

+1 Great pedal. Amusingly the Kerry King model tends to go for a bit less because of the silly graphic. Sound the same though.

I had a similar issue with muffs - now I've got a ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud and it's got an active 2 band EQ in it already. Loads of bottom end!