Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Watkins?

timmo

I know nothing about them, but I do like the look of it. He has it for buy it now at £650, but says he wants £800 ONO in the dicription. Is it worth £650 ?
Oh yes. I knew i forgot something
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-/272029760814?hash=item3f563cbd2e:g:aicAAOSwo0JWI7il

Edited by timmo

I can only find this one ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watkins-Rapier-Bass-Left-Hander-/272035548885?hash=item3f56950ed5:g:rHoAAOSwjVVVr7l2"]Watkins Rapier Bass, Lefty ...[/url]

... which is definitely for enthusiasts only. Back then, these were used as telegraph poles (I lived only a few miles away from Chertsey at the time, and saw a lot of WEM and Watkins stuff...). There are those that collect 'em, though, and I'd love to be able to find (and afford..!) another Westminster guitar amp (my first, that my elder brother put his foot through..! :o ).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446740403' post='2901949']
I can only find this one ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watkins-Rapier-Bass-Left-Hander-/272035548885?hash=item3f56950ed5:g:rHoAAOSwjVVVr7l2"]Watkins Rapier Bass, Lefty ...[/url]

... which is definitely for enthusiasts only. Back then, these were used as telegraph poles (I lived only a few miles away from Chertsey at the time, and saw a lot of WEM and Watkins stuff...). There are those that collect 'em, though, and I'd love to be able to find (and afford..!) another Westminster guitar amp (my first, that my elder brother put his foot through..! :o ).
[/quote]That is a different one, but certainly cheaper and a different headstock

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1446740680' post='2901956']
That is a different one, but certainly cheaper and a different headstock
[/quote]

It's still a very chunky baseball bat; they all are. They weigh more than heavy boat anchors, too. An interesting curiosity, but not, in this modern world, an 'only' bass, imo.
Got a link to the one you mention in the OT, by any chance..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446740956' post='2901959']
It's still a very chunky baseball bat; they all are. They weigh more than heavy boat anchors, too. An interesting curiosity, but not, in this modern world, an 'only' bass, imo.
Got a link to the one you mention in the OT, by any chance..?
[/quote]Yes i have updated the original post with the link

Ah, that's better... No comparison between that and any modern bass at half that price, I'd say, except for someone with a 'Jack White' mentality. Not a bad bass in its own right, but there are far better instruments out there nowadays. I maintain; for collectors only, and probably at a third of that price. I approve of the 'zero fret', [i]à la[/i] Hofner, though.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in any way on these; just old enough to have toyed with 'em 'back then'. I bought a Vox in preference, which may serve as a reference point.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446750059' post='2902092']
Lot of money. Would being l/h make it more expensive? I once had a tidy '63 Watkins Rapier guitar which I got £250 for - that seemed to be a pretty good price.

Jon.
[/quote]

Oh, it's quite rare, alright, but 'scarce' doesn't always equate with 'desirable'. I've an American friend who's lefty, and collects Hofners but not just any old tat. Even collectors are not always completely daft (although I've met quite a few odd'uns, I'll grant..! :happy: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446750059' post='2902092']
Lot of money. Would being l/h make it more expensive? I once had a tidy '63 Watkins Rapier guitar which I got £250 for - that seemed to be a pretty good price.

Jon.
[/quote]bloody hell I've got a l/h Wilson Rapier, thought it was worth about 50 quid