Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sabre Bass correct case?

clarkpegasus4001

Hi all. I've just bought a 1980 Musicman Sabre bass.
The bass has come in a quality gig bag but I would prefer a proper period correct case for it.
Does anybody have any pictures of the correct 1980 period case for this bass please? just so I get the correct one.
I'm assuming a period correct Stingray case would be the same for my bass?
Also, iIf anybody has one for sale at a reasonable price please get in touch via PM thanks.
Many thanks in advance fellow Basschatters.
Tony C.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1446741905' post='2901976']
I looked online for an example with no luck. I believe that the case would have the "Musicman" logo across the whole of the front rather than the now standard "letterbox" in the top right corner - I used to have one which I sold to SparkyMark IIRC.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've seen one with the "letterbox" in the corner but not one as you describe. I wasn't sure if they used the standard oblong type without lettering or not, a bit like the Fender cases. if I can't find one i'll have to get the "letterbox" type. Thanks for your reply.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1446750831' post='2902103']

Thanks, I've seen one with the "letterbox" in the corner but not one as you describe. I wasn't sure if they used the standard oblong type without lettering or not, a bit like the Fender cases. if I can't find one i'll have to get the "letterbox" type. Thanks for your reply.
[/quote]

Some useful info here - basically as per similar era Stingray - where the guy mentions other makers of the basses after CLF it means Jackson, and subsequently Ernie Ball. Musicman and CLF fell out big time over instrument manufacturing quality issues.

It seems relatively rare to find pre EBMMs in original cases. The teardrop ones seem to command quite a price without a bass in them!!

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/61373-what-correct-case-78-sting-ray.html

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1446806150' post='2902453']
Some useful info here - basically as per similar era Stingray - where the guy mentions other makers of the basses after CLF it means Jackson, and subsequently Ernie Ball. Musicman and CLF fell out big time over instrument manufacturing quality issues.

It seems relatively rare to find pre EBMMs in original cases. The teardrop ones seem to command quite a price without a bass in them!!

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/61373-what-correct-case-78-sting-ray.html"]http://forums.ernieb...-sting-ray.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you for the link. :) So it could be that the case I need is an oblong box standard a bit like my Rickenbacker case then, with no logo. The problem is that there aren't any old ones on the market. I may just have to get a later case for it if that's all that is available. .

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, flower8 said:

One of these 2

WaterMark_2019-05-15-21-43-21.jpg

FB_IMG_1562765449281.jpg

received_2672564879422794.jpeg

received_1767716569961124.jpeg

Wow those are fabulous 😻

My pre EB Stingray was bought new and didn't even have a case sold with it - apparently fairly standard in the UK in both the pre and EB eras up to the mid/late 90s - even in the mid 2000s new ones came for a time in gig bags (likely reduced cost owing to exchange rate fluctuation). The price just goes up these days since the exchange rate has got to 60% of what it was in the mid 2000s (since the economy was chucked away 😏 Perhaps there'll be a fire sale on 5th Nov this year (along with firework pissing on 😬)!!!! 

Edited by drTStingray
Usual auto correct nonsense (which I failed to notice...)