Why become a member? ×

ESP Viper Custom - Thoughts?

Richard Milliner

Hi,

Im thinking abut buying ESP Viper Custom that Ive been stalking on fleabay for a while. Its a big investment for me at approx. £1300 and have yet to play it, but seems its been in the shop for a while and not had a previous owner...

I do have a LTD EX-104, that I love the sound, tone and playability which Im hoping will be the same or better on the viper

Just wondered if anyone out there had any experience of such a beast and whether the price seems reasonable.

In my experience (a friend of mine has quite a few Japanese ESP guitars) the difference in quality between the LTD models & the 'proper' ESP stuff is massive.
If you've got & like a LTD then I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed by the ESP.

I'm in Sussex, guitar is in North Wales... But am heading to HRH next week and will pop in en route. My explorer is very neck heavy, hoping this will have better balance. I figured the ESP will be great but the most expensive guitar I have bought previously was about a grand cheaper! Did I mention it's a camo paint job? Not quite sure...

I used to run a shop and stocked ESP - all LTD models except for one, and all great instruments. The genuine ESP really did have that thing you can't put your finger on which made it worth the £300 more than the most expensive LTD version. Also, a little after I closed my shop I went with a friend who A/B'd a 400 series LTD Surveyor and the ESP version. Again, the ESP had that little bit of magic. I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the Viper.

These guys in Sussex have a high end LTD version in their warehouse - might be worth seeing if you could try that one which should give you a very good idea what the ESP version will be like.

[url="http://www.guitarsound.co.uk/electric-guitars-for-sale/brands/esp-and-ltd-electric-guitars-for-sale?guitar_type=201&p=2"]http://www.guitarsound.co.uk/electric-guitars-for-sale/brands/esp-and-ltd-electric-guitars-for-sale?guitar_type=201&p=2[/url]

ESP stuff is the bomb! I've now got 4 MIJ ESPs and they are definitely worth the price tag, that said I would always recommend looking for them second hand as their resale is (undeservedly) quite low and even importing from Japan can work out quite a bit cheaper.

That said, I wouldn't say no to a camouflage viper. Don't worry, not going to swoop in on that one, my better half would be none too pleased!

• 1 month later...