Why become a member? ×

D'addario Strings

Thunderbird

I used Rotosounds for years because I really liked the way they sounded. Occasionally I'd try a different brand because of how quickly the Roto's lost their zing but never found any that sounded as good to me. That is until I bought a bass a couple of years ago that came fitted with D'addario Pro Steels. To me they actually sound way better than my old Roto's and last about 4 times longer. Really don't feel the need to try other brands at all now because the Pro Steels are perfect for me!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1446801010' post='2902392']
Loz I had a set of Pro Steels on my main gigging bass for best part of a year. I only changed them then because I felt I ought to :lol:
[/quote]

That`s very encouraging news Gary, hopefully I`ll get similar life from mine.

I had a Planet Waves cable with compression springs and it broke.
I emailed them to call in on their two-year warranty.
They asked for a picture of the cable and when I sent it they gave me a new cable. A better one than the one they sold me (a better product, not just one that wasn't broken).

I was surprised by the trust shown by the customer service and also their apologetic staff.

I use D'Addarios on my Variax guitar. I'm thinking of putting a set on my Sei 6 (well, somebody mentioned flamboyant somewhere upthread). For a 35" scale through-bridge strung 6, would I need the normal or the super long scale EPS strings? And are they taper-wound at the bridge end?

I've been using XLs on and off since I started playing 30 years ago. A small, family-run company that has been making great strings at fair prices for as long as I can remember.

There are lots of great strings on the market now. More choices than I can keep up with, really, and I like to mix it up, but whenever I go back to D'Addarios it's like familiar territory. A safe haven.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1446799944' post='2902380']

Our coated strings are called EXP, they last at least 4 times longer than our un-coated strings.

To find the right set of EXP take the Item # of your regular un-coated set e.g. EXL170 and change out the L for a P i.e. EXP170.
[/quote]

Awesome - two sets ordered! Thank you.

I thought I posted in this before?.... ...Was there two threads?

Anyway.... EXL 170 5's (45 - 130)...Been using them a long time. Every now & then I try something else but I always seem to come back to D'Addario...

This thread has got me all interested in the EXP coated strings....

Also, I like the fact that D'Addario come in a sealed pack.... Always as fresh as the day they were picked!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1447113491' post='2905064']
I use D'Addarios on my Variax guitar. I'm thinking of putting a set on my Sei 6 (well, somebody mentioned flamboyant somewhere upthread). For a 35" scale through-bridge strung 6, would I need the normal or the super long scale EPS strings? And are they taper-wound at the bridge end?
[/quote]

Super Long strings for a 35" neck. When i fit them on my TRB the amount of cut off is about the extra you need for through-body stringing.
Don't know if they're Taper-wound but i would think not.

Only just noticed this thread.
I used to get strings from Alembic when I lived in the USA but bought some D'Addario ground round wounds for a fretless precision I bought in a pawnshop - factory maple neck fretless. I sold it but remembered how nice those GRW strings were.
Fast forward to about five years ago ad I was back on a fretted Mexican precision with rosewood board. Didn't like how it sounded so I remembered how that maple P bass had sounded and bought a set of the D'Addarios. Been with them ever since & now have a set on my nice new-to-me AVRI 62 reissue P bass!

Definitely the best compromise between the traditional P Bass thump and decent articulation.
Excellent strings!

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1447150577' post='2905218']

Super Long strings for a 35" neck. When i fit them on my TRB the amount of cut off is about the extra you need for through-body stringing.
Don't know if they're Taper-wound but i would think not.
[/quote]

Ghost_bass is right, go for super long. Look out for the SL at the end of the item code to denote super long, they won't be tapered.

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1447145586' post='2905147']
I thought I posted in this before?.... ...Was there two threads?

Anyway.... EXL 170 5's (45 - 130)...Been using them a long time. Every now & then I try something else but I always seem to come back to D'Addario...

This thread has got me all interested in the EXP coated strings....[/quote]

Ditto. I bought a bass in April which came fitted with the bottom 4 strings of the EXL170-5s fitted, tuned down three semitones (which, coincidentally, is what my band tune to). I don't know how long they were on the bass before I got it but I still use them on a weekly basis and they still sound great. I wouldn't mind a shot of the EXPs as well, presumably they'll last at least 2 years based on the set of EXLs I'm using :lol:

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1447164208' post='2905410']
Ghost_bass is right, go for super long. Look out for the SL at the end of the item code to denote super long, they won't be tapered.
[/quote]

OK, just to clarify it's not through-body strung, it's through-bridge.

Hey guys, I love the pro steel strings and have used them on most of my basses (after years of Using a particular other brand), and I love the growl I get. The tension is also perfect:)
I have a 7 string 35" scale bass that needs restringing and it's a little tricky trying to put a set together. Would you possibly be able to help me out with where to buy a complete set rather than piecing a set together?
I like regular gauge, and the bass is tuned f# (low) to c (high)
Cheers guys!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1447179375' post='2905615']
[/quote]

Hi Tauzero,

I tend to err on the side of caution when recommending scale lengths, you can check for certain by using this link [url="http://www.daddario.com/upload/BassArticle2_1803.pdf"]HERE[/url]. Just follow the instructions to ascertain what length strings you require, for reference our long scale strings start to taper just beyond 36" and our super long at 38".

Thanks,

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1447270088' post='2906338']
Hey guys, I love the pro steel strings and have used them on most of my basses (after years of Using a particular other brand), and I love the growl I get. The tension is also perfect:)
I have a 7 string 35" scale bass that needs restringing and it's a little tricky trying to put a set together. Would you possibly be able to help me out with where to buy a complete set rather than piecing a set together?
I like regular gauge, and the bass is tuned f# (low) to c (high)
Cheers guys!
[/quote]

Hi Roonjuice,

Use the article [url="http://www.daddario.com/upload/BassArticle2_1803.pdf"]HERE[/url] to check your actual required string length, that will allow us to figure out whether you need long or super long strings. As for string gauges for your tuning I'd recommend using the EPS170-6 set for the top 6 and a single PSB145 for the low F#. A word of warning though the .145 may be a bit light for this tuning but its the heaviest gauge we do in ProSteels.

If you're willing to use nickel plated steel we do 160, 165 and 170 tapered strings which may be more appropriate for this tuning.

Thanks,

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1447318805' post='2906585']
I'm afraid to say that all of our baritone sets are designed for standard DGBE tuning.
[/quote]

Do you supply single strings? I could make my own reentrant set by ditching the D and popping an E string on there instead.

I think D'Addario are having a bit of a Bass resurgence in the UK at the moment, or certainly that's my perception of it.
From where I'm sitting, that's a lot to do with Andrew. So thanks to Andrew and D'addario for taking interest in the 'grass roots' and small artist bassists :)

Still rocking D'addario on my medium scale Jazz and '71 Precision. Will soon be stringing my upcoming Maruszczyk with them too. My Fodera is for sale, so may not last long enough to see D's as I have two sets of Fodera strings to pop on first, but who knows, would be an ace combo!

Si

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1447179375' post='2905615']
[/quote]

My TRB is also through-bridge strung and it's a 35" neck. I can't string it with Long Scale strings because the thickest wound around the low-B won't reach the nut, missing it by a couple of mm. I also wouldn't advise using a Super Long set on a 34" neck bass because the that wound on the low-B will wrap around the tuner and make it more hard to keep the bass in tune.

So, summing it up, IME:
34" scale bass - Long strings
35" scale bass - Super Long strings

In case of through-body stringing or other system is allways best to ask D'Addario directly or check their info on the site. They have a very complete information about their strings, tension charts, gauges, timbre, and i believe also lenghts. Don't know any other manufacturer that gives this info - it's another reason why i keep using them exclusively.