Why become a member? ×

hi from shropshire

christofloffer

my name is chris and i currently live in near market drayton. i have had a bass for about 8 years or so but in all fairness i have always just been a guitarist with a bass too. recently i have been trying to record some tunes at home (just for myself as i like writing) and got a little tired of what i was doing. so i decided to stop trying to be a jack of all trades and reign myself in a little. i was trying to play acoustic and electric guitars, bass, piano and a few other things like the mandolin for a while. the results were chaotic and not really much cop. so i decided to focus the guitar side of things just on the acoustic (as that is my main love with it), and focus on the bass for electric stuff.
so i am not entirely alien to it and i have enjoyed many hours of twiddling, but its about time to learn to play it as an instrument in its own right. my bass is not that good, its a Shine (no model name/number) and its still got the strings that it came with fitted. i have a few multi effects pedals for the guitars that i have dedicated a few patches on for the bass. not ideal i know but like i said, i wasnt really playing it in earnest until recently. i have a little cruiser cr-15B amp which came with the bass. so cheap and cheerful but if i start to really enjoy playing properly then it is worth getting better gear.
as for styles, i do love a bit of slap. i am still fairly stuttery but i just find it really fun and comfortable to play like that. i also like slower dramatic stuff and jazzy/funky stuff. my main thing is that i really dont like playing tunes where the bass sits in the back copying the rhythm guitar and being given no space. while i dont think the bass should be a lead instrument i do think it deserves better. i dont like playing with a pick, i have tried a few times but i definitely prefer the fingers.

Welcome: Ex Bridgnorth lad here ( and from the original ilk of Booyaka...still going 20yrs later), and now closer to the equator in Devon last 13 years...but Bridgnorth is still the funkiest place on the planet...lets get high (North) and take it to the Bridge...just no 'e' ;)