Why become a member? ×

Importance of reading music?

davegriffiths91

Hi all.
I am a self taught bass player and have been playing for around 12 years. I'd say I am a fairly handy player, gigging most weekends in different style bands.
I am familiar with basic theory, chords modes that sort of things and putting it into practice when playing. Can pick things up quick etc.
I have recently been getting into jazz having been put on to the stuff by a drummer friend.
Hes invited me to some open mic nights to play some standards and has told me to buy the "Real" book. However, I can't read music. I can comfortably "walk" over a chord chart but I am worried if I go I won't be able to play because I can't read.
Is reading a necessary tool for a bass player?
Does the real book have chord charts in there?
Should I be learning to read?
Thanks!

Yes, don't confuse 'reading' with 'sight reading'. At home, even in the bath, one can peruse stuff from the Real Book or elsewhere at one's leisure, humming the notes as they're recognised, and tapping out the timing with one's toe. Taking one's time, nice and relaxed, it soon becomes quite natural. That's not at all the same game as being handed a piece and hearing the count-in (A-one, a-two, a- one two three four...) straight away. Reading is slow and laborious for a few pages, but, just like Janet and John, quickly pick up pace and become interesting. J.S.Bach is an excellent source, too. Chord charts are fine, of course, but there's a lot to be learnt from reading the lines even of other instruments.

I'm not a reader , but have been the only non reader in a band and got by (as Bilbo says met expectation) with homework and chord charts.

You seem to be in a similar position , and I would say if you have the inclination and the time to commit to learning I'm sure you will not regret it . A few years ago I started to learn but realised quickly I was not committed enough , I have other interests and other priorities and passions for my spare time. Even if I was to study for something now , there would be other subjects id put first.

In hindsight I should have done it when I was younger , much like I should have learnt French. Both are ways of communicating which are useful and without limit us in certain situations.

My advice would be make a call either way and stick with it.

I found that having music notation software really helped me in learning to read. I could write songs out, play them back at various speeds and try different things out. I use (an old version of) this: [url="http://www.avid.com/US/products/SibeliusFirst"]Sibelius First[/url]

Since learning to read I've earnt a lot of money (and had a lot of fun) playing in the band pit for local shows.

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1446676524' post='2901470']
J.S.Bach is an excellent source, too.
[/quote]

Yes, I've recently started working on my reading again and am using Cello Suite no. 1 to learn from, really quite satisfying.

I was encouraged to read better by a drummer we use who plays in the pit for a lot of shows, I'm hoping to pick up more work when I can read to a decent level.

Like Bilbo says, if you can read charts, you'll be fine at jazz jam sessions. Why not go along and have a go, then you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to shell out on iReal or the Real books. The house band will have a bassist, and if you go up and say hello, then they will let you use their amp and their charts. Enjoy!

I can't read very quickly but as others have said, at jam sessions it's only the chord charts that really matter. For just chord charts, I'd strongly recommend iRealPro - it has thousands of tunes and you can play along with them at home, transpose them etc. I do also use the real book itself, but only for learning melodies in my own time.

Most copies of the real book are written in treble clef with the chords written in over the bar. The head is usually just the melody so you won't need to read it, just follow the chord chart.

jazz can seem a bit intimidating, but you're an experienced player and I always like people who bring a bit of their own personality to jams. Have fun with it.

Probably won't hurt. Chord charts, paired with theory are important.

Bass players, particularly in jazz are expected to read chord charts and solo, that's about it I think.
I find it helps to know which chord is the root etc. so that you can find your way in the chord chart when you get lost.

Also, get an app called fakebook on android or iPhone.
They're superb, loads of chord charts. Maybe more than all of the real books.

The more conventional the jazz, the less music you'll have to read. At Least that's what I've found

Edited by ltownbass

See if you can get comfortable on this sort of gig...
You may get a few roastings... but not from an open mic night, tbh..
and use it to build and develop in this sort of sit-in.

Embrace it as an opportunity to meet and maybe impress a few guys
as half of it is about their confidence in you being able to 'cover' the gig
and if they have that, they'll call you.

If someone gives you a proper chart on this gig...I'll be very surprised...
but just say you'll need a bit of time to prepare it..and will do it next week..

That way you aren't selling yourself as something you aren't.
Just tell them you aren't a good/enough sight reader..yet.

If they like your playing, that can go a long way towards sidestepping
a 'reading' gig.

I started learning to read bass clef about 3 years ago, after playing for about 20 years before that.

I wish I had done it earlier. I'm no longer limited to what I can find with tab, or endlessly repeating CDs to work something out. It also opens up music for other bass freq instruments like the piano and some cello where there just isn't any tab.

It also means that when my kids bring music home (sax and clarinet) I can play the accompanist part.

It's not necessary to learn to read to play bass, but I think it is clear that in any subject having more information and knowledge is always a good thing.

It opens a lot of doors for you, when you can read melodies. BUT one big mistake I made years ago was to depend too much in written music and forget to use your ears. Jaco learnt the hard way a huge amount of jazz standards by ear in order to play in a gig in a boat. It will be much faster and easier for him to just read the charts.

I just wanted to add that I would fully support the idea of reading. It's actually really easy to get the hang on. It looks odd at first if you are not used to reading a stave with all the lines and dots, but it quickly makes sense. It took me perhaps three to four hours practice to get to a point where I can reasonably follow written music for simple songs. Basic stuff by that time, but all the same the core idea was nailed and from then its just a case of building up practice.

[quote name='davegriffiths91' timestamp='1446921151' post='2903544']
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Have purchased the fake book app which is great for all the chord charts.
I am gona look for some books so I can start getting my head around reading.
Any suggestions on beginners books for reading that are bass orientated would be smashing!
[/quote]

This place (online) is excellent.
One year subscription is $34.99, but really good value for money.
Any clef, any Instrument, full band/Orchestra scores, any key, any time sig.
Also generates progress reports, if you are into that.
[size=2][url="https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/pricing"]https://www.sightrea...ory.com/pricing[/url][/size]

Edited by lowdown

I can't read the dots other than using them to give me some idea of when and how to play the notes, the notes come from tab. I decided that learning to read music would help my playing so I bought a book called Sight Reading Mastery for Bass Guitar.
I haven't actually gotten around to starting to use it yet, so I can't say if it's any good or not, but if you wanted to give it a try you can get it from music room.com.

Edited by Froggy

Being a reader opens certain doors for you as a player that would be closed to a non reader... theatre work, cruise ship stuff etc. also, I'm guessing to a certain degree session work?

I'm trying to learn to read dots, but only so I can write down my own basslines so I don't forget them... I never sight read anything as I never play anything someone else has written.

I do know my theory though and could read a chord chart etc on the fly, i've just never practiced enough to be able to read dots fluently.

You might also find this useful. A great resource that many of the peeps here have found invaluable.
[b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/74284-the-majors-bass-boot-camp-session-index-1-36/page__view__findpost__p__719274"]Major-Minor's Bass Boot Camp[/url][/b]