Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Flightcase!

carlosfandango

Hello

Just picked up my new PJB Flightcase - what a great little amp! I have tried it with a not very loud function band and on a couple of jazz/acoustic gigs and as long as the volumes are moderate it sounds really good. I had no problem keeping up with a drummer and guitarist in a quite large marquee...that was pushing it a bit though as I had to run it on "9" all night...:)....sounded absolutely fine through PA though. My EUB has never sounded better, in fact I was thinking of getting rid of it and go DB all the way but with this combo I have a really portable solution for jazz and acoustic gigs.

+
it's very light! it's very light! it's very light!
sounds great with 4 and 5 string electrics, EUB and acoustic bass. low b no probs! very punchy sound for it's size.
great sound on stage as two of the speakers are pointing upwards....perfect for small stages, no more playing to my knees
very musical eq
nice optical compressor

-
no mute switch
a stereo input would be nice for playing along to cd/mp players at home

wish list:
an active 150w extension cab would be great!

Total score:
8/10 low B's

worth giving a try!

carl

Edited by carlosfandango

Is that the one with four 5" drivers? I was using an old bose 802 pa cab for a while (till I blew it up)which sounded remarkably good for a small cab with eight 5" drivers.I really want to try some of PJB's bigger cabs esp the horn loaded one with 16 drivers-anyone tried it?

[quote name='Subthumper' post='29299' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:11 PM']I really want to try some of PJB's bigger cabs esp the horn loaded one with 16 drivers-anyone tried it?[/quote]

Sadly I've never read of anyone owning a 16H - surely there much be one somewhere out there in active use?

It makes the Ampeg 8x10" look quite anorexic: 47 inches high (with casters 51 inches), 24 1/2 inches wide and 27 1/2 inches deep. It weighs about 275 pounds!

Alex

I did a gig where we were supported by Harambé. Their bassist uses a Phil Jones rig. He scoffed at the idea of just using one rig for the night (ie. sharing my rig or his). Got a very clean sound out of his rig though. Some might say a little too clean.

Edited by The Funk

Well, I was intrigued by PJB designs until I tried a Briefcase (2x5" 100W). The tone was nice (didn't blow me away though, I guess I'm spoiled by my Glock rig) but the volume was just ridiculous (in a bad way). I even tried a suitcase, which is the 300W 4x5" and it didn't have enough juice for me. I miiight like to have the suitcase for home practice only, but at that price... nah... I wouldn't want to have the briefcase, unless it was given to me for 150 euro tops. And to think I wanted to like these SO much...
(and yes, I could look at their biggest boxes, but then they weight becomes way too much for me - the neo series might be something to look at though)

You can't compare a 2x5" practice amp with a glocken rigg!!!

I personally didn't like the Suitcase but the Flightcase really ticked many of my boxes when looking for something sgreat sounding, small, portable and light for small jazz, acoustic and electric gigs. Maybe one reason why I like tha sound is that it reminds me of my larger EA setups...very clean *but pounchy) sounding....they really makes my basses justice by not colouring the sound.

Oh - I bought it from Guitarworks in Reading...great shop btw.

Edited by carlosfandango

The briefcase is supposed to be an amp for small gigs, right? Competing against the Gallien-Krueger MB150 and the SWR Baby Blue.

Well, when I tried it in the shop it just didn't work for me. But the tone and volume Harambé's bassist got out of his enormous PJB rig was pretty decent. Like I said, just a bit too clean for my taste.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='31606' date='Jul 14 2007, 12:53 AM']You can't compare a 2x5" practice amp with a glocken rigg!!![/quote]
I wasn't comparing it volume-wise, I was comparing it tone-wise. Actually, I wasn't even comparing it, I just said I wasn't impressed by the tone. OTOH, now that I think about it, I only tried it with a Pedulla bass and I hate those, but anyway if the tone was to be impressive (to me) I guess I should have been impressed with a 4000 euro bass, even if it's a pedulla. Anyway, I'd rather buy a used Glock Soul top and a Glock 112 than the suitcase. As you said though, the flightcase might be a different story, but they're still a bit too expensive for me to justify their lack of volume (unless you really don't need volume), and I didn't lose my sleep over the tone either.

I am going to try one of these out this week - looks quite promising. I had a good play with the m500 head and a large cab at the last bash owned by wots-his-face, it sounded great top end wise (got the perfect sound, due to the eq being able to go to 8khz plus) but the bottom end needed some tweaking, but I didn't have the time or the ability to crank it and see.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='32750' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:12 PM']I am going to try one of these out this week - looks quite promising. I had a good play with the m500 head and a large cab at the last bash owned by wots-his-face, it sounded great top end wise (got the perfect sound, due to the eq being able to go to 8khz plus) but the bottom end needed some tweaking, but I didn't have the time or the ability to crank it and see.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Hi Ped, I'm in Henley not far away from you and you are welcome to try mine if you like.

cheers,
carl

• 1 month later...

The suitcase seems to come in for a lot of criticism, but I bought one earlier in the year and am very impressed by it (practice use only). I think I'll look into the flightcase as well, as it sounds ideal for me.

EDIT - I meant the briefcase

Edited by BB2000

[quote name='BB2000' post='53598' date='Aug 31 2007, 08:48 PM']The suitcase seems to come in for a lot of criticism,[/quote]

I really don't know why. The tone is excellent, it is nice and compact. Two seperate inputs with seperate eq. Well built, well designed. Peronsally I think it looks good....You know, the more I think about it the more I should keep mine!?

I hope it's not inappropriate too post here - but I have not been over impressed with bass combos for a while now and have preferred to use on stage monitors rather than lug around heavy amps/combos etc.

I have to say that these combos are very cool - they are so clean sounding (you could easily use these as a keyboard amp and sound great with music playback) and have plenty of bottom end (considering their size) There are some new models coming out in the near future, so bearing in mind these are a new product there is still more to come.

I have been just trying the tiny cub, which ay 11lbs is not much bigger than a shoe box - it also has that 'Tardis" effect and sounds really good too.

I wasn't massively impressed with the larger M500 amplifier and cabinets (one angled, one square) I tried - Well I could get the top end sounding really sweet but the bass end sounded a little boxy. I tried using the very comprehensive EQ but couldnt get away from it very easily... I will have to try a suitcase though because on paper they would be ideal for me.

Ta
ped

[quote name='ped' post='53651' date='Aug 31 2007, 11:36 PM']I wasn't massively impressed with the larger M500 amplifier and cabinets (one angled, one square) I tried - Well I could get the top end sounding really sweet but the bass end sounded a little boxy. I tried using the very comprehensive EQ but couldnt get away from it very easily... I will have to try a suitcase though because on paper they would be ideal for me.

Ta
ped[/quote]

Ped - they are probably not for everyone, what is? The larger cabs need alot of power to really drive them, so I hear. That might explain your experience. These amps are not for a rock band setting or reggea band for example, however for smaller settings they do the job. I have yet to try the suitacse with extension cab but I believe that has some serious output for those that require it.

Ultimately they give a very impressive quality sound for such diminutive units IMO.

Mark

Indeed. I think it was partly due to the acoustics of the room (lots of othe rbass amplifiers cranked up) and the fact I had it fairly quiet. I definitely liked the EQ, that was very nice indeed. The flightcase is really well priced, too.

I look forward to crossing paths with one where I can properly give it a test. As I say on paper they are perfect - tight, clear and clean. Exactly what I like ;0)

Cheers mate
ped

[quote name='Mikey D' post='53636' date='Aug 31 2007, 11:08 PM']I really don't know why. The tone is excellent, it is nice and compact. Two seperate inputs with seperate eq. Well built, well designed. Peronsally I think it looks good....You know, the more I think about it the more I should keep mine!?[/quote]

I would agree. My only caviat is that it is quite heavy and a bit awquard to carry..... btw - why are you selling yours? How much do you ask for the two?

Edited by carlosfandango

• 10 months later...