Why become a member? ×

Kit Built Basses

Callumjord

Hi Guys,
Body and neck from Nortwest Guitars , Gotoh bridge , one old Jazz pup at neck , one Tonerider at bridge ( awaiting a matched pair from a 2001 jazz to arrive ) Wilkinson m/c heads .
Most parts from ebay , some from bits lying around . Transfer from ebay ( the most difficult bit - had to take a lot of time with this - then 5/6 coats laq - now awaiting small "ASSEMBLED IN COVENTRY " transfer to go on back of headstock !
As long as you "TAKE TIME " to ensure and align parts before drilling , its great fun . And you end up with something that you assembled yourself , to whatever spec you want
Pete.

Edited by petetexas

Added to above.................
You must remember that not all parts will just sit in the correct place, for example..................the neck has to be aligned centrally to body . Just by putting the neck in the neck pocket , does not always mean that it is central to the body .
What I did , was to drill and fix one of the mounting screws through the neck plate , and tightened up ( so there was still a slight ammount of "swing" movement of the neck relative to body )
Then using a 24inch steel ruler , laying down one side of the neck to the other , I aligned each edge of neck to pup cut outs , and got it central, before carefully turning over and drilling the remaining three . I actually scribed the lines next to the neck pup cut out , for any future removal / re assembly ( these lines are hidden under scratchplate ).
Another point to remember is that bridge not only being central but in correct position for the 34inch scale to the saddles , allowing for intonation movement - I also had to shim the neck pocket , with a piece of .010 thick ash, to get the angle of strings relative to body for a good action .
But as I said before ..............THINK THINGS THROUGH - MEASURE AND ALIGN , MEASURE AND ALIGN , MEASURE AND ALIGN before drilling !
Its really enjoyable to see the bass taking shape .
Any questions , just ask me
Pete

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1447846920' post='2910860']
Added to above.................
You must remember that not all parts will just sit in the correct place, for example..................the neck has to be aligned centrally to body . Just by putting the neck in the neck pocket , does not always mean that it is central to the body .
What I did , was to drill and fix one of the mounting screws through the neck plate , and tightened up ( so there was still a slight ammount of "swing" movement of the neck relative to body )
Then using a 24inch steel ruler , laying down one side of the neck to the other , I aligned each edge of neck to pup cut outs , and got it central, before carefully turning over and drilling the remaining three . I actually scribed the lines next to the neck pup cut out , for any future removal / re assembly ( these lines are hidden under scratchplate ).
Another point to remember is that bridge not only being central but in correct position for the 34inch scale to the saddles , allowing for intonation movement - I also had to shim the neck pocket , with a piece of .010 thick ash, to get the angle of strings relative to body for a good action .
But as I said before ..............THINK THINGS THROUGH - MEASURE AND ALIGN , MEASURE AND ALIGN , MEASURE AND ALIGN before drilling !
Its really enjoyable to see the bass taking shape .
Any questions , just ask me
Pete
[/quote] Did you do an angled shim most or all the length of the neck pocket or just a packing piece at the body end?

Hi,
I suppose a tapered shim should sit in the neck pocket , but in experience I have never done that , always used a packing piece .
You would think you would loose sustain etc , but I have never had a problem .
I shim about 1/4 inch wide x whatever thickness for the full width of the pocket ( even rounding the corners so as to fit right back in the pocket )
Pete.

• 2 years later...
On 15/11/2015 at 16:02, petetexas said:

Body and neck from Northwest Guitars , scratchplate , bridge etc from bits lying around and some parts purchased on ebay .
Had to do some "tweaking " to get neck at correct angle to body to get a decent action ( put a shim in neck pocket ) 

@petetexas I am looking for a Maple Neck in a tinted yellow vintage finish, and I found one at www.northwestguitars.co.uk

Could you tell me something about how the the frets are finished? Are there any sharp edges? Are they pressed in and glued perfectly? And for the heel - do you remember if it is 62mm at the widest point?

I would like to get some more information before I will put an order from UK to Germany - becasue I think a return will be much more expensive.

It would be great to get some feedback from you!

Best regards,
Marius

Edited by Marius

13 minutes ago, Marius said:

@petetexas I am looking for a Maple Neck in a tinted yellow vintage finish, and I found one at www.northwestguitars.co.uk

Could you tell me something about how the the frets are finished? Are there any sharp edges? Are they pressed in and glued perfectly? And for the heel - do you remember if it is 62mm at the widest point?

I would like to get some more information before I will put an order from UK to Germany - becasue I think a return will be much more expensive.

It would be great to get some feedback from you!

Best regards,
Marius

I have one of these necks, just had a good look at it. 62mm at the heel exactly as per Fender. Frets nicely seated and the ends dressed smooth but they obviously haven't been levelled and re crowned  as you would expect at the price but there doesn't seem to be any issue in playability. Truss rod adjustment is at the heel so the neck needs to come out to be adjusted, there is a Walnut plug at the headstock to create a faux adjustment hole. Mine is 2 years old or so and still straight so the general quality seems fine on this one at least.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Christine,

thank you for the feedback. I am not at basschat.co.uk so often, so I missed the info before I ordered it!

Anyway, I can confirm what you wrote, absolutely. It is a really good neck I got. It has a beautiful grain and the frets are really good - sure there will be the need of doing a dressing at the end, but I have to think about which style I should go on...

Neck_1.jpg

Neck_2.jpg

PJ_Black.jpg

PJ_Gold_Anodized.jpg

PJ_Tortoise.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Marius said:

Hi @Christine,

thank you for the feedback. I am not at basschat.co.uk so often, so I missed the info before I ordered it!

Anyway, I can confirm what you wrote, absolutely. It is a really good neck I got. It has a beautiful grain and the frets are really good - sure there will be the need of doing a dressing at the end, but I have to think about which style I should go on...

Neck_1.jpg

Neck_2.jpg

PJ_Black.jpg

PJ_Gold_Anodized.jpg

PJ_Tortoise.jpg

In my opinion the only option would be black pickguard with Sunburst body and maple fretboard........😀 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Callum,

I've only just stumbled across this post, having been away for too long, but wondered whether my 2p worth was of any value.

I too felt the need to build one, and bought an Ibanez-shaped 5-string fretless from Kitbuiltguitars.co.uk for £115.

Staining etc is obviously extra, using Chestnut Products spirit stains, (airbrushed on in layers) and a polyurethane lacquer.

The body & neck (incl fingerboard) come unfinished, as advertised, so sanding materials are obv also extra.

This also gave me the opportunity to alter the bodystyle slightly.

To maximise sound quality as far as I can, I have switched out the stock pickups for two EMG soapbars, stock bridge for an Ibanez B305 bridge, stock machineheads for GOTOH GB707s, and changed the passive spaghetti bits for an active system. A little Dremel action in the control cavity and it fits perfectly, and provides space for 2x9v batteries. I'm also going to replace the (flat) bakelite cavity cover with a body-curved fibreglass version.

Thereafter, if it sounds bad, it's down to the woods (maple neck, ash body).

But, I bought it in order to learn, which is exactly what I'm doing.

VERY slowly, because I've learned that I am no bleedin' good at spraying lacquer.

Deep breath, more sanding, another ciggie, and here we go again.

But, whatever your chosen route, please do not let my obvious ineptitude put you off, there is a genuine joy in watching one's baby slowly come to life.

Best of luck sir, and enjoy!