Why become a member? ×

Who are you seeing live next?

Japhet

On 18/04/2022 at 18:36, Maude said:

Peter Hook and The Light in the about an hour and a half. 

First proper gig in a long time and I'm like a little kid on Christmas eve. 

A great night after a terrible start. 

There was no support act, PH&TL did a set of New Order songs as an opener. First song (Dreams Never End) the bass drum was absolutely horrific, stupendously loud and every chest rupturing thud completely swamped out all the other instruments. I was so disappointed and couldn't have taken a whole evening of it. To be fair I was off centre under a gallery but even so. 

Slowly throughout the New Order set it got better and then was bang on when they ended with Blue Monday, as it was a drum machine. 

The sound crew obviously realised as the rest of the gig, all of Unknown Pleasures and Closer, then finishing with a handful of non album classics was absolutely spot on sound wise. Each instrument was clear in the mix. 

Congrats to the sound crew. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Booked tix for a rake of gigs in the Manchester Jazz Festival: Daniel Casimir, Mamilah, Kara, Nguvu, Intergalactic Brasstronauts, The Deportees, Secret Night Gang, Zoë Rahman, Gary Crosby, Ayanna Witter-Johnson, Tim Garland. Very much looking forward to all of them but most especially Casimir, Rahman, Crosby and Garland.

Top tip for fans of the sax player Nubya Garcia (and you should be): her own gig in the festival is twenty five quid a pop, but she's also in the line-up for Daniel Casimir's band which is a princely one pound booking fee only. Albeit it's in the less than perfect setting of Escape To Freight Island rather than the unimpeachable Band on the Wall.

On 28/04/2022 at 16:59, basskit_case said:

I saw The Nightingales in Norwich on Tuesday, very good well worth going to see on this tour if you get the chance.

I saw them shortly before the current tour (they were doing some re-scheduled covid dates) and they were stunning, although not for everyone.

I've been given two free tickets for Bryan Adams at the Royal Albert Hall tonight playing the entire 'Cuts Like A Knife' album, plus assorted other greatest hits etc. Result :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cetera said:

I've been given two free tickets for Bryan Adams at the Royal Albert Hall tonight playing the entire 'Cuts Like A Knife' album, plus assorted other greatest hits etc. Result :)

God I love that album, when I first saw the 'This Time' video I so badly wanted to be Bryan. I was about 12 but it's still a great bit of American pop/rock, and Bryan can still kick it live, saw him a few years back👍👍

• Like 1

Saw Larkin Poe at Shepherds Bush Empire last week.  Great gig, superb performance, the sound wasn't too loud and wasn't too bassy for once, vocals were sooooo clear , so I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!  The girls in the band didn't stop smiling the whole gig.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Saw Larkin Poe at Shepherds Bush Empire last week.  Great gig, superb performance, the sound wasn't too loud and wasn't too bassy for once, vocals were sooooo clear , so I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!  The girls in the band didn't stop smiling the whole gig.

Weirdly I saw them maybe 6 years ago in South Petherton and have just accepted a gig there myself about 5 minutes ago.

13 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Weirdly I saw them maybe 6 years ago in South Petherton and have just accepted a gig there myself about 5 minutes ago.

Cool, well done you👍👍

I was going to say didn't know Larkin Poe had been around six years then remembered the gig I just saw should have been two years ago so that's probably about when I first heard of them , time gets weird sometimes 😆😆