Why become a member? ×

Who are you seeing live next?

Japhet

Tonight (Mon 13th Nov) It's The Cadillac Three at Rock City,. Nottingham the the simply awesome Mr Big on Thursday (16th) at the same venue at which point I'll probably never want to touch a bass again after watching Billy Sheehan for two hours!

Then Monday 20th I may venture into Sheffield for Airbourne at The O2 Academy.

Last night, Kokomo and AWB at Colston Hall, Bristol. Great night, the mix was as good as it gets, no over loud electronic sounding BD and the bass guitars were just right in the mix. Ideal for Funky bands. The drummer with AWB, an american guy, was sublime, up there with the best I have seen. A gig to take in if the tour is coming near to you.

One moan though. The ticketing at Colston Hall is not seat numbered. We decided to get there early and have a drink in the bar, just as well. When we enquired about the lack of seat numbers on the tickets we were informed there is a standing area in front of the stage, If you want a seat its first come first served basis, unless you want to stand for three hours. As the missus has a dodgy back that is a none starter so like most of the other punters we were forced to queue for 40 minutes at the hall entrance doors to be sure of a seat. Not the relaxing way to start a night out. Why not sell the numbered seats and also the 200 standing places for those who prefer to remain upright?

Nice venue otherwise.

This Friday I'll be seeing our fellow basschatter Bobby Kewley playing bass for The Christians & Altered images on a triple bill with Midge Ure!

Sunday will be Mr Big at Shep Bush, then hopefully next Friday Cloudbusting (Kate Bush tribute) at Putney. After that, possibly Simply Dan in Raynes Park on the Sunday.... Corduroy in Guildford on the following Friday and then Airrace/Lionheart in Camden on the Saturday! Phew....!!

• Like 1

Sunday night I was at the Alice Cooper show in Glasgow. Missed The Tubes and most of The Mission. The bass player Chuck Garric had a busy night, Halo of Flies was epic performance. About an hour in I spotted a thin dark haired fella in shades behind the curtain and was certain I'd glimpsed a spangly bass.

Had no idea Dennis Dunaway,Neal Smith and Michael Bruce were doing the Reunion segment outside the US. What was already a brilliant gig just got better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Sunday night I was at the Alice Cooper show in Glasgow. Missed The Tubes and most of The Mission. The bass player Chuck Garric had a busy night, Halo of Flies was epic performance. About an hour in I spotted a thin dark haired fella in shades behind the curtain and was certain I'd glimpsed a spangly bass.

Had no idea Dennis Dunaway,Neal Smith and Michael Bruce were doing the Reunion segment outside the US. What was already a brilliant gig just got better.

Was there with my daughter. We had tickets for the back of the second balcony but they'd put a spotlight or something in front of our seats so we were reseated about 10 rows from the stage .  The Tubes were great so you missed out big time. The Mission were crap and shouldn't have been on the bill.  Always been a huge Dunaway fan so was over the moon when i heard he was going to be playing. Wasn't disappointed. Was very impressed with Chuck's handling of Halo - was one of my favourites and one of the earliest songs I ever learned so he could very easily have spoiled it for me  I did however think that Nita Strauss was trying a bit too hard to be one of the lads.

Mr Big next at the O2 ABC on Wednesday.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got Wolves In The Throne Room tomorrow night, which I can't wait for, Hell Is For Heroes in February and I've just booked a ticket to see Converge, Crowbar, Thou and Grave Pleasures in April.

Converge and Crowbar are two to tick off my must see list, so really pleased that tour's happening.

I'm considering Sepultura in March too, it's a bit of hassle getting into London these days now I'm in Eastbourne, but it's good to get out to some more gigs.

• 1 month later...

Up next: Steven Wilson, Rico & Sticks (Dutch legendary hiphop duo), Fat Freddy's Drop and I'm going to a festival which features Queens of the Stone Age, Fink, Nick Cave, David Byrne, Anderson.Paak, MGMT, Jon Hopkins, Franz Ferdinand, Nils Frahm, Leon Bridges, Curtis Harding, The Breeders, St. Vincent... What a line-up.