Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Simple Minds at the O2 last night with the Stranglers doing a 50 minute support. Great night's entertainment! Sound was spot on for both. I know Simple Minds are a great live band as I saw them twice last year and they were just as good this time. But I was unsure what to expect from the Stranglers, especially with only 2 original members. Shouldn't have worried, they played like they meant it - JJB certainly hits you in guts as soon as he starts up!

Go West/ Nick Kershaw/ Carol Decker at the Cliff's pavilion last night in a 'we've been doing it for 30 years' type tour. Carol Decker had a 30 min slot (fnarr etc) the others mixed and matched all night. Been a fan of Go West all that time and they were as good as they have ever been. Never seen Carol Decker - she still belts it out but probably 30mins was the limit of listenable-to material. Nick Kershaw was a revelation - a surprisingly small man, especially when he walked on stage with Peter Cox, but huge stage presence, charisma and musicianship. Another top evening's entertainment.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1448703694' post='2917488']
Go West/ Nick Kershaw/ Carol Decker at the Cliff's pavilion last night in a 'we've been doing it for 30 years' type tour. Carol Decker had a 30 min slot (fnarr etc) the others mixed and matched all night. Been a fan of Go West all that time and they were as good as they have ever been. Never seen Carol Decker - she still belts it out but probably 30mins was the limit of listenable-to material. Nick Kershaw was a revelation - a surprisingly small man, especially when he walked on stage with Peter Cox, but huge stage presence, charisma and musicianship. Another top evening's entertainment.
[/quote]

Don't know if anyone remembers the show " reborn in the USA " , but Peter Cox was the standout performer on that, what a voice, just a pity he forgot the words in his competition song !

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1447928804' post='2911484']
Vintage Trouble at the Forum Kentish Town on Tuesday. Can't believe I'm saying it but the sound was a bit 'bass-heavy' to start with but a brilliant gig nonetheless, masterclass in 'working a room' and a surprise guest duet with Paloma Faith singing 'I'd Rather Go Blind'
Excellent evening's entertainment 😀
[/quote]

Nice one, I know you're a massive fan 😊
Re. The Forum, I've been there once and the sound was really mushy -give me Jazz Cafe any day!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448780399' post='2918029']
Don't know if anyone remembers the show " reborn in the USA " , but Peter Cox was the standout performer on that, what a voice, just a pity he forgot the words in his competition song !
[/quote]

Indeed. You know he is 60 now - unbelievable! Still got a cracking set of pipes and still singing with his eyebrows :)

Saw Simple Minds plus Stranglers on Friday night. Both really good. JJs bass sound was epic. Then The Jack Tars last night at Brudenell Social Club in Leeds (ace venue). They're a collaboration with Mike Peters of The Alarm, Slim Jim Phantom from Straycats, Chris Cheney of The Living End plus Captain Sensible on bass. Was a great night. They covered songs by all their bands and new songs too. Was proper rock n roll and they looked to be having a great time. If you get chance, go see em. Andy

Caro Emerald at the Cliff's Pavilion last Thursday, great show.

Then Friday saw the exact same show for Go West/Nick Kershaw/Carol Decker as I had seen the week before but at IndigO2. Very loud, perfect seat, crystal clear sound. Last show of the tour and a little bit of magic that night. Once again huge respect for Nick Kershaw - what a talent.

crumbs you guys are cramming the gigs in - I got the designated drivers job when two women dropped out to take the remaining two to see Elvis in Henley Friday night. AKA Ben Portsmouth + live band
Didn't want to go but really enjoyed it, great performance and band were very good. Those Jerry Scheff bass parts well handled. Great night I can recommend

Just seen the Dead Daisies at the Cathouse in Glasgow. Great venue, really intimate and boy, they put on a great show. Superb sound too. The supports were excellent too. The Wild Lies and another band I'm not sure of yet but we're really good. Dead Daisies-Highly recommended !

Ray Gelato at Thorpe Hall Golf Club. They've started a bit of a jazz night there. Just Ray, girl singer whose name escapes me, drums, double bass (nice) and keys. A bit samey - on the whole I prefer the big band version to give more light and shade. Still, wasn't a bad night - entry was cheap, food was nice albeit small portions.

Wilko Johnson (supporting) and Status Quo at the BIC in Bournemouth last night.

Excellent night. Wilko seems to be back in fine form, which was a relief after seeing him on TV after his operation.

Status Quo were also excellent, although I am not sure Rick's heart is in it anymore.

It was a interesting night, being the youngest person in the balcony section at a gig. That hasn't happened for some time! :lol:

• 5 weeks later...