Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Last gig I went to was last Friday to see Wille and the Bandits at a local arts centre (about 200ish capacity). They gig and tour pretty much all the time but they've always got bags of enthusiasm for each gig. Great band, fantastic playing and genuinely nice guys.

The support band were called Marsh Fires, I really liked what they did (the bass player was using a Fender Rumble 500 combo, sounded great)

Richard Hawley last Sunday at Leeds o2 academy. Absolutely awesome, as he was when I saw him at Sheffield City Hall last time out.

The sound was fantastic, well crafted songs and Richard's voice and playing was faultless. Colin Elliot on bass was absolutely solid, great playing, nothing flashy but all beautifully played. I'd recommend anybody to try and catch him on this current tour. You won't be disappointed 😉

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446566073' post='2900362']
I am quite a prolific gig goer and like to think I have a fairly eclectic taste. I was wondering who you all have seen lately and what they were like. I only ask because last night we went to see the excellent Death Cab For Cutie in Glasgows 02. They were superb as expected. The support however, were, at least to us, rank rotten. They are called Chastity Belt and if you look them up on YouTube, they are passable, though not particularly my taste. Live however, they are dire. No stage craft, out of tune playing and singing, bum notes etc. You name it, they were afflicted by it. I would even go as far as saying, they are the worst band I've ever seen live on a big stage. Maybe they had a bad night, but somehow I don't think so.
Let us know your experiences good or bad of others, as a warning/ tip so that we might go fore armed to future gigs.
[/quote]

Im going to see death cab in Birmingham tomorrow night, chastity belt are also supporting, hopefully they were just having a bad night then 😂

[quote name='MWH' timestamp='1446580002' post='2900588']
We have The Picturedrome here In Holmfirth, saw King King last Thurs, absolutely great, they're cd's don't do them justice, Highly recommended for blues/rock.
[/quote]

Yep I saw them couple nights earlier in my hometown Carlisle. Fantastic live band

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1446676890' post='2901477']

Im going to see death cab in Birmingham tomorrow night, chastity belt are also supporting, hopefully they were just having a bad night then 😂
[/quote]

Let me know how you get on then mate

Motley crue last night were amazing. The show they put on was breath taking with tommy lees drum cage spinning around on rails over the audience and nikki and vince raised over us at the end on cranes. Sound was good for the NEC too which is usually naff and while Nikki Sixx is not known for his bass playing he is the ultimate in rock star appearance. Alice Cooper was fantastic too although he struggled on poison. Nice mash up of schools out and another brick in the wall to finish his set.
As stadium gigs go this was one of the best ive seen. Pity its their final tour

skinny girl diet yesterday. fantastic band. white bc rich bass, played by a lady (this is a three piece all female band) who does backing vocals and spectacular high pitched screams in some songs.

band before them were called piano wire. pretty good, they probably need a bigger stage with better sound to let their songs come to life a little bit more. good drummer, hard hitting, unhinged yet tight. rickeb***** bass played by a very carefully stylised dude.

Now I can take them out of the 'band you are seeing next', as I saw From the Jam today. Great set, although a bit loud. Luckily my wife had spare earplugs so with those in the sound was perfect, the audience were boisterous and I found out I was playing eton rifles wrong. Wonder if I can correct that before my gig on saturday!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1446760843' post='2902228']
Motley crue last night were amazing. The show they put on was breath taking with tommy lees drum cage spinning around on rails over the audience and nikki and vince raised over us at the end on cranes. Sound was good for the NEC too which is usually naff and while Nikki Sixx is not known for his bass playing he is the ultimate in rock star appearance. Alice Cooper was fantastic too although he struggled on poison. Nice mash up of schools out and another brick in the wall to finish his set.
As stadium gigs go this was one of the best ive seen. Pity its their final tour
[/quote]

I was there too, with daughter and her boyfriend, who is huge MC fan. I thought same as you about the sound - we saw Queens of the Stone Age at the NIA and it was just a loud, fuzzy mush, whereas this was loud enough for impact, but everything was very well defined. I thought Alice was great, considering I was first blown away by Killer in 1972 and those songs still stand up now, and he's still being guillotined on stage, and he doesn't have to say "m*****f***er" every five minutes to get the audience going :o . Not that that's really a dig at Motley Crue, I do know how that genre works. The pyrotechnics were amazing, when the flame throwers went off we could feel the heat in the middle of the hall and the mechanical stuff was spectacular. I also liked the encore where they played at the end on a mini stage in the middle, which happened to be right where we were standing. Actually Nikki Sixx is my kind of bass player - keep it simple, look cooler than anything and use a Thunderbird. All in all, best gig we've seen for a long long time.

Spent this morning trying to get tickets for The Stone Roses, what a waste of an hour that was. F'in' Ticketmaster.

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1446800911' post='2902390']

Death cab were fantastic as always.
Chastity belt were truly awful 😂
£5 for a Guinness was also awful, but otherwise a great show 😁
[/quote]

Death Cab are incredibly good musicians. I loved seeing them again. They had a fantastic sound but that chastity belt look like they just met last week. I couldn't understand how Ben Gibbard was so gushing in his praise of them. Ok, be polite, but he thanked them loads of times and asked us to buy their album. They must be his nieces, cos they are rank rotten!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1446814519' post='2902554']

Death Cab are incredibly good musicians. I loved seeing them again. They had a fantastic sound but that chastity belt look like they just met last week. I couldn't understand how Ben Gibbard was so gushing in his praise of them. Ok, be polite, but he thanked them loads of times and asked us to buy their album. They must be his nieces, cos they are rank rotten!
[/quote]

Yeah couldnt agree more, it was a little disappointing that theyve even been given the opportunity tbh, sounds horrible, but when theres so many good bands whod kill for a spot on that tour it seems a bit strange. yeah Ben did the same with us, overly enthused with an awful, awful band. each to their own i suppose.

death cab made it all right by playing a blinding set once again though 😬